Conrack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conrack Reviews

½ January 19, 2017
Jon Voight stars as an unconventional but well-intentioned teacher who finds a way to connect with his students. It's a fine realistic drama. (First and only viewing - 1/17/2017)
September 18, 2015
Inspiring flick based on a true story. Extremely well acted
85% on the Rickta Scale
May 11, 2014
Based off of the autobiographical novel "The Water is Wide" by Pat Conroy, Conrack tells the story of Conroy (portrayed by Jon Voight), a young unorthodox teacher who travels to an island off the coast of South Carolina to teach a group of young African-American students with little to no education. He is railed against for his teaching methods by the school's principle and the superintendent, but Conroy (known as "Conrack" to his students who cannot pronounce his name properly) is bound and determined to teach the children as much as he can in the best way he knows how, no matter what the consequences may be. For all intents and purposes, Conrack is an uplifting, hopeful film on the surface. Fortunately, it steps outside of those confines and becomes something else. It's less of a story about hope and more about sacrifice and loss. Jon Voight gives a terrific performance, as you might expect, but its the direction of Martin Ritt that's really impressive. The film also leaves many things unsaid, so dialogue is never wasted nor overused. It may touch a bit on the clichéd side, but overall, it's a terrific little film with some very good performances.
February 17, 2013
Another variation on the story of an idealistic teacher who inspires their students.
February 6, 2012
Wonderful true story.
January 29, 2012
In honor of Black History Month, everyone should see this very moving and heartfelt film, based on a true story about a white teacher in South Carolina who traveled to an island off the coast of Beaufort to teach African American children. I lived in South Carolina and knew of his story. Great movie.
½ January 2, 2012
I grabbed my full attention...
½ June 6, 2010
Conrack is an amazing film. Jon Voight gave an incredible performance as Pat Conroy. The screenplay is well written. Martin Ritt did an excellent job directing this movie. I enjoyed the film because of its simplicity. Conrack is a must see.
½ January 6, 2010
Well acted and filmed movie. It's not just about racial issues, but also about the institutionalized acceptance of mediocrity, incompetence, ignorance, and an entrenched, bureacratic defense of the status quo. As a government employee in the south, this film resonated with my own work-place experiences.
December 15, 2009
finally after all this time..huge pat conroy fan and reading his stories..
½ November 30, 2009
very compelling film about a very malignant and insidious subject. the subjugation of education by bigotry, bitterness and self-righteousness. voight makes his bones with this film. heart-rending to watch, and sobering to understand.
simply an outstanding movie.
September 1, 2009
hip talking motherfucking turkeys.
August 29, 2009
Movie is good, the book is better.
½ July 10, 2009
missed some of beginning & missed why he left at end. idk guess he got fired
June 24, 2009
Inspiring, wonderful, funny, touching and Jon Voight's best performance besides COMING HOME.
½ April 29, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I had heard about it but had never seen it. Very inspiring movie. Jon Voight is wonderful as the school teacher that helps his students learn and pushes them to treasure themselves even when society does not.
March 3, 2009
I love inspiring and moving stories like this one...because it's absolutely real! Every child can learn anything, you just need a teacher who cares and gives them a chance to succeed.
February 12, 2009
I loved this movie! Reminded me alot of what I do at a non profit agency educating the poor in our disadvantaged communities.
aprilneo
February 6, 2009
½ December 29, 2008
The movie very accurately depicts the struggles that the African-American community faced during that time period. I think the structure was such that it needed people like Mr. Conroy to step in and stick up for what is right instead of maintain a broken status quo.