Conspiracy of Silence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conspiracy of Silence Reviews

½ October 16, 2011
The Catholic church is guilty of a "Conspiracy Of Silence" and it's up to Daniel McLaughlin (played by a low-key but handsome Jonathan Forbes) to uncover the truth to a reporter. Actually, he's appealing his unwarranted dismissal but there's a suicide that's related. Movie suffers from an overwritten screenplay that implies all priests are either bad or good. The bad ones not only cover up but are hypocrits. It's inexplicable that the Irish parishioners don't express themselves at church or shunning the priests but seem to relish only in gossip. There's an interesting theory that the Catholic wants priests to be celibate so they can leave their wealth, not to wives and children, but the greedy church.

The acting is good throughout by John Lynch (as Matthw Francis, the dead man's lover), Brenda Fricker as Daniel's mom, and Fintan McKeown as the rightous priest. The reporter's role is underwritten and as played by Jason Barry, is simply ambitious but surrenders his goal when threatened. The biggest problem is that the movie doesn't break any new ground but reaffirms what we've learned from the headlines. The Catholic church is autocratic, greedy, hypocritical and will do whatever it can to survive Personally, I found the movie more interesting as an inside look of a small Irish town with it's beautiful scenery and small-minded folks.
March 2, 2011
Interesting insights into the cloistered life of priests. The movie examines the concept of celibacy in the Roman Catholic Church, showing the hypocritical, political, and detrimental effects it has on them. Good cast. Decently done.
½ September 7, 2009
Catholic nay-sayers will probably have a field day with the movie, but my hunch is that most would be better served by any one of the numerous documentaries that cover the same topic.
July 1, 2008
I enjoyed the premise of this movie.. but it was lacking something.. and I think the idea of the Catholic Church using private confessions to control and manipulate is genius.. too bad they didn't expand on these inferences... :-)
October 19, 2007
The topic of this movie was a diamond in the rough waiting for the right diamond cutter and a polish that would make it shine. Too bad that the director and the actors left that diamond as rough as what they started with when the movie ended.

The script is good but the dialogue is lacking big time, the acting was not that good, and there were too many unanswered questions left. That little blurb of facts at the end of the movie does not make up for what should have been a much better fact presentation.
February 3, 2007
I like how this looks. Conspiracies are always fun but if this is what I think it's about then........no comment.
½ July 13, 2005
VERY GOOD DRAMA INVOLVING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND IT'S POLICY OF CELIBACY WITH IT'S CLERGY. IT ALSO EXAMINES THE ISSUE OF GAY PRIESTS (CAN'T IMAGINE THOSE TWO WORDS NOT BEING USED TOGETHER) AND HIV. WELL DONE, IT HELD MY INTEREST.