Consuming Spirits - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Consuming Spirits Reviews

½ October 8, 2015
Consuming Spirits can't be described in a few short words because it is one of the most originally constructed movies I've seen in a while. Using different types of animation throughout, director Chris Sullivan is able to give off various atmospheres and allow his characters to gain some depth beyond their fragmented appearance.
½ September 23, 2013
Amazingly creative and enthralling animation done in multiple styles and with a story that takes the whole film to unravel -- simply consuming. Definitely a worthwhile film to see for any film fan with a love of great animation or amazing stories.
September 18, 2013
A haunting, grotesquely beautiful poem of a film meditating on loss, death, regret, corruption and decay. Funny, tragic, and poignant in all the right ways. A must-see.
½ April 11, 2013
Although the film gave me nightmares and made me want to cry afterwards, it was beautifully and meticulously crafted. The film creates both a hilarious and depressing world as a metaphor for the life of an underclass, unprivileged town whose hopes and dreams amount to merely surviving and caring for one another. These basic needs and wants can resemble our own fear of death and losing the ones we love. The entire film is a tragic reminder that life and love are both delicate and fleeting.
April 4, 2013
I saw Consuming Spirits when it first appeared at the Tribeca Film Festival and was stunned. It's an amazing film. It's a perfect blend of quirky humor, a soul-bending romp through a richly rendered rural town, followed by deep spiritual renewal. There's allusions in equal measure to Betty Boop and Native American nature worship. It's a highly personal SUBmodern instant classic, hands down.