Critics Consensus: Contagion and Warrior are Certified Fresh

Plus, guess the Tomatometer for Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star.

This week at the movies, we've got a deadly virus (Contagion, starring Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow), MMA misfortune (Warrior, starring Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte), and a would-be thespian (Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, starring Nick Swardson and Christina Ricci). What do the critics have to say?

Contagion

84%

Steven Soderbergh has certainly proven himself to be a director who can handle movies with lots of big stars and multiple storylines - after all, he's the guy behind both Traffic and the Ocean's movies. And critics say his latest, Contagion, is another winner, a briskly paced, harrowing thriller with plenty on its mind. Featuring a murderer's row of big-time talent (including Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, and Laurence Fishburn), Contagion chronicles the global reaction to a highly contagious flu epidemic, and how ordinary citizens and officials react to both the virus and the public panic. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Contagion is smart and suspenseful, as fine performances and Soderbergh's deft direction help to keep all the big ideas and narrative complexity from bursting at the seams.

Warrior

83%

The world already has Raging Bull, On the Waterfront, The Wrestler, and The Fighter; do we really need another movie about a ring king struggling with his personal and familial demons? Well, in the case of Warrior, critics say the answer is a resounding yes -- they say the film is emotionally resonant and viscerally powerful. Tom Hardy stars as an ex-Marine and a former wrestling champ who decides to enter a martial arts competition. He trains with his father (Nick Nolte), an ex-prizefighter with a history of alcoholism, not realizing his estranged brother (Joel Edgerton) is also preparing for the tournament. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Warrior's premise may be melodramatic, but it's tremendously acted and unexpectedly moving, making for a fight film that hits harder than you'd expect.

Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star

It looks like the folks behind Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star were afraid their film wasn't destined for critical praise, since it wasn't screened prior to release. Nick Swardson stars as a small town grocery store employee who decides to make a go of showbiz after learning his parents were once movie stars - that is, adult movie stars. Time to play guess the Tomatometer!

Also opening this week in limited release:

Finally, crazy mad props to King S. for correctly guessing Shark Night 3D's 16 percent Tomatometer and for coming the closest to guessing Apollo 18's 20 percent Tomatometer.

Comments

Abraham Smith

Tyler Lublin

I'd put Bucky Larson at 3 percent positive reviews.

Sep 8 - 04:43 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

That would put it above Orlando Bloom's new movie apparently.

Sep 8 - 05:56 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I think you're being too generous. :P

Sep 9 - 09:00 AM

Abraham Smith

Tyler Lublin

you're right that was generous - that was even worse than Big Momma's: Like Fathers, Like Son

Sep 12 - 12:50 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

First post summer season weekend and two fresh movies? Interesting. I think that the Help will finally fall from the top spot although it should still easily be in the top 3, as none of these three movies seem to be hard hitters.

Buck Larson will probably get 20%. The premise seems pretty stupid.

Sep 8 - 04:48 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Good for Warrior and Contagion. They both look good but neither a must see. I'm guessing a T-meter of below 15% for Bucky Larson. Anyone see the YouTube trailer? It looks absolutely awful.

Sep 8 - 04:52 PM

Sean Y.

Sean Y.

Glad to see Contagion do well. I'm extremely interested in it, but I have no time for the theater (too busy with school) right now. Definitely at least a rental when it comes out on DVD.

Sep 8 - 04:59 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

What a lovely way to start Autumn off, even though Autumn technically starts on the 23th of September in the United States. Bucky Larson will get below 20%, but what do I know? :/

Sep 8 - 05:04 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

Defiantly a good way to start off Autumn :D

Sep 8 - 05:12 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I thought it was the 21st when the season actually changes?

The actual geological change of season and the cultural one are a little bit different. Labor day is traditionally the last day of the Summmer in the US because the following day school (no matter if its public schools, private, colleges and university etc.) usually start if not before.

I agree that autumn season seems to be getting off to a great start especially if you consider how poorly it ended last week (last traditional week of the summer). I forgot that the fall season isn't the dead time at the movies (that is actually in the first 3 months of the year) but I wasn't expecting to see any Oscar bait like Warrior until mid November at the latest, which is interesting.

Sep 9 - 05:28 AM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I don't expect any of these movies to be oscar bait so we're good to go. As for autumn, I thought it was the 21st as well, but when I checked it said that it was the 23 of Sept this year. It has a lot to do with the equinox that occurs in the northern hemisphere when the earth's axis is tilted to...just a fancy sciency way of saying that it becomes autumn when the sun isn't directly in front of the area where the autumn season is happening. :/

Sep 9 - 09:44 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

While it is not "Oscar bait," the buzz surrounding Drive is getting bigger and bigger, and it one a few awards at Cannes (I know Refn took home the best director award there), so I would not rule it out of being a contender when awards season gets into full swing.

Sep 9 - 12:15 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

It's in the 70's where I am. I say that's Autumn weather.

Sep 9 - 06:24 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

Oh, and it is raining.... sadly.

Sep 9 - 06:25 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I love the rain. Wish it was raining where I'm at. We've been getting 90 degrees and up for about two weeks, one day we almost had 100 degrees. :[

Sep 9 - 11:18 PM

DJ A.

DJ Adams

Fall always starts on either September 22 or 23. It's the other three seasons that sometimes start on the 21.

Sep 10 - 02:02 AM

Rachel W.

Rachel Woloshin

I wasn't sure how Contagion would fare with critics because of the tired genre, but I'm glad it turned out good! As for Warrior, I've seen the Fighter and that's enough of the feel good boxer dramas for me.

Sep 8 - 05:05 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I think the biggest problem with The Fighter is that the central character and his struggles were the most uninteresting part of the movie. Bale and the female supporters are what made it a great and interesting film. Warrior seems to be the opposite with the main players taking the cake.

Sep 8 - 07:08 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

I agree. I didn't care for Walhberg's character. I never cheered for him or anything. What entralled me was Bale, the evil, manipulative Mom & sisters, and Walhberg's girlfriend. In Warrior, I felt for all the characters--Both Tommy and Brendan, as well as Paddy and Brendan's wife. Also, the fights in Warrior are a lot more realistic than what The Fighter offered. The intensity in the fights were reminiscent of Raging Bull, IMO. The very last fight is an emotional rollercoaster, to say the least. As great as The Fighter was, Warrior trumps it in every way possible.

Sep 8 - 08:02 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Thats because MMA is much more interesting to watch than boxing.

Sep 9 - 02:58 AM

jay z.

jay groon

That dosn't matter when it comes to filming a boxing scene or an MMA scene.

Sep 9 - 08:21 AM

Dave J

Dave J

It's funny that the word cliche is not used on the "Warrior" since the synopsis doesn't sound that original to say the least! Brother against brother concept was done before, especially on the WWE all the time! Both Contagion and Warrior gets a rental for me since by reading the RT summary critisms, one would already know what to expect upon seeing them and that at times doesn't help the film!

Sep 8 - 05:05 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

This is why you should never read the reviews before you've seen the movie, trust the tomatometer & gut instinct only haha!

Also, if you can hold your nerve avoid trailers as they are biggest plot spoiling bastards of the lot :)

Sep 9 - 04:40 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Reading reviews sometimes help, but not in this case for instance!

Sep 9 - 10:53 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Nothing is original, it's all about Presentation. Good Acting is key in presentation. The Fighter lacking Christian Bale would have been a C+ tops for example.

Sep 9 - 07:59 AM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

Defiantly a good way to start off Autumn :D

Sep 8 - 05:12 PM

Sean N.

Sean Nasuti

Well considering that only about 38% of those who rated on Flixster said they wanted to see Bucky Larson as well as the usual score for a Happy Madison movie, I'm guessing that it will not get over 25 or even 20%. For an exact amount, 15%.

Sep 8 - 05:16 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

I am defiantly seeing Contagion. Warrior... I have no interest in. I'll just watch The Fighter. As for Bucky Larson's rating... an 18%. Great week for movies though!

Sep 8 - 05:20 PM

jay z.

jay groon

Well you can "just watch the fighter" all you want but you still will know NOTHING about Warrior seeing as how they are two completely different films.

Sep 9 - 08:23 AM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

Boxing Drama, MMA Drama, they just all end up feeling the same to me.

Sep 9 - 10:26 AM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Larson will probably get a big fat 0%.

Sep 8 - 05:30 PM

Ken W.

Ken Wolfson

damn, did not see contagion succeeding. Guess I'm going to have to see it.

Sep 8 - 05:32 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Contagion looks quite good, and I like that the main cast of one of my favorite movies, The Talented Mr. Ripley, is all here. That said, what were the makers of the trailer and poster thinking?

Sep 8 - 05:37 PM

redrooster0

Charlie Voelker

I'm glad for Warrior, but I have 3 movies to see now... Damn thats a lot of money.

Bucky Larson 13%

Sep 8 - 05:40 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew McGregor

Bucky Larson will be at 11%, my gosh does it look horrible.

Anyway super stoked for Warrior, love Tom Hardy.

Sep 8 - 05:41 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

That would put it above Orlando Bloom's new movie apparently.

Sep 8 - 05:56 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

I will probably will see warrior instead of contagion. My interest in contagion is more with the cast and director then the actual concept. I would have preferred it if the sickness was a result of a biological terrorist attack, which is a very real threat and would have it an extra layer. That or they turn into zombies, but that idea has been done too many times. I predict a 3 percent for buckey. That movie has had the most annoying commercials ever. Contagion will easily win the box office with a mid 20s debut. Warrior should do around 14 million( its opening at about 1,700 sites, which will make a big debut harder)

Sep 8 - 05:57 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Buckey will be a bomb in the low single digits, though I would be surprise to see it fail to break even 1 million. I also expect the 10th anniversary of 9/11 falling on Sunday will effect the B.O a bit.

Sep 8 - 06:08 PM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!