Contagion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Contagion Reviews

November 6, 2016
Contagion is a star studded film about a disease that rapidly spreads across the world killing millions. I really liked this film, it made me feel really uncomfortable with germs, it has that kind of effect on you. The cast was excellent, it's impossible to talk about everyone without spending at least three paragraphs, but they were all great in their roles. My biggest problem is that certain stories seem unresolved at the end, and that was a little unsatisfactory.
½ October 7, 2016
"Contagion" is the 2011 film directed by Steven Soderbergh and written by Scott Z. Burns. The plot follows several different characters, in different locations, as they deal with the growth of the deadly virus known as MEV-1. Among these characters is Mitch (Mat Damon) a normal family man whose wife, Beth (Gwyneth Paltrow), is discovered to be the virus patient zero, and his daughter Jory (Anna Jacoby-Heron), who stays with him after Beth's passing. In the government, Dr. Ellis Cheever (Laurence Fishburne) and Dr. Ally Hextall (Jennifer Ehle), amongst others, try and find the cure to the fast-spreading disease before it becomes an epidemic of enormous proportions. The film's cast counts also with Jude Law as Alan Krumwiede, Marion Cotillard as Dr. Leonara Orantes and Kate Winslet as Dr. Erin Mears.

"Contagion" looked much more promising than it actually was, with its veteran director and screenwriter, it's stellar assemble and big budget, it looked great but did not deliver as expected, that doesn't mean it was bad, just no that good. The film's option to have as much as six (at one point) stories, of different characters, beeing followed at the same time seemed too much, even when they focused more in here rather than there, it just seemed too stuffed for me, maybe if they've focussed more on Damon's character, Mitch, which, for me, was the film's most interesting character overall, even do there where cliche traits to him, it would maybe improve in the history. So, even tough the actors all did a fine job, the choice of an assemble cast did not work.

So, as said, the actors DID do a fine job. Gwyneth Paltrow, which was in the film only in the beginning and in a few flashback scenes throughout, did great and gave a noticeable performance. Playing Paltrow's husband, Mitch, Matt Damon too did a fine job, with its moments, but overall just OK. Like Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne did fine, but with nothing much to the performance. Also in a small role, Kate Winslet did great (as always) playing Dr. Erin Mears. The rest of the assembled cast too did fine, with no miscasts and overall enjoyable performances. And although the movie has its problems, it's still pretty good, with fine editing and camera work, an engaging soundtrack that keep up with the film's fast pace, (some) worth-watching performances and overall entertaining plot.

"Contagion" is a fine popcorn movie that does some good to an overused formula for disaster movies, that could've been done better with its great cast and crew. 3.5/5.
½ October 1, 2016
Zu langweilig! Hab nach einer knappen Stunde ausgeschaltet.
½ October 1, 2016
Although it does have scenes that meander, this is an extremely tense and surprisingly scary movie, strengthened by an incredible cast.
September 19, 2016
I think expectation is what sunk this film for me when I saw it in the theaters 5 years ago. I was really hoping for a film like Outbreak which would focus more intently on the fight to find the cure. While Contagion certainly looks at the people who are seeking a way to save lives, the movie endeavors to take a more broad look at how a pandemic would affect society as a whole. The film is presented in what I call the collage format as it weaves together a bunch of small stories that all relate to the central theme, but don't always interact with one another directly. I'm not a big fan of collage movies, because I have found that they all have the same problems for me. First of all, they jump around between stories so rapidly that it's hard to really get to know the characters in order to form a strong investment. Just when I'm starting to enjoy the Kate Winslet story we have to break suddenly and spend the next 10 minutes with Laurence Fishburne. By the time we get back, Winslet's story basically ended without us being there for it. Collage problem number two is the fact that there are always some of the stories that don't get enough attention for them to flourish (or they just plain suck) and this creates a strange contrast when juxtaposed with much better plot threads in the same film. The real big offender here was Marion Cotillard's kidnapping that came across as a sad afterthought. The third problem that these collage films often struggle with is blending the tone of all the different stories. This was less of a problem in Contagion because every story was bleak, so they worked reasonably well with one another. I actually enjoyed Contagion more this time because I went in knowing what to expect, but I still don't think that the best way of telling a story about the deadly threat of infectious disease is to latch onto the Love Actually model of story-telling. It's a reasonably entertaining mess of a film.
September 5, 2016
I can easily see this happening some day, and not that far away
½ September 2, 2016
Very good movie about an epidemic scenario. Good performances and good entertainment. Not a must see.
August 30, 2016
"Contagion" has enough good to outweigh its slightly jumbled narrative; these include a taut pace, superb cast and appropriately cold atmosphere - all combined into an uncommonly realistic (and thus frightening) disaster film.
½ August 28, 2016
Soderbergh makes movies - and they are real.
½ August 27, 2016
It's not good enough for me.
½ August 22, 2016
The best virus epidemic movie there is, Soderbergh scores again with this star-studded thriller with a very logical explanation of the disease; a fantastic, heart-pounding score; and believable characters. Everything in this movie feels right, and very carefully thought out.
August 22, 2016
***
It's a perfectly serviceable mystery thriller, with good performances and ever stylish direction from Steven Soderbergh. However, there's nothing particularly memorable about it, and I'm already beginning to forget it. Worth watching if it's on TV one time.
August 16, 2016
A composição dos personagens (representados com firmeza pelo elenco de inquestionável talento), o dinamismo da direção de Soderbergh e o roteiro esperto que demontra, pelo menos, um mínimo de pesquisa para tornar a trama plausível, fazem de "Contágio" um suspense-epidemia exemplar. Não tem nada novo a mostrar no gênero, mas é tão bem argumentado e representado que, em determinada altura da projeção, me obriguei a tirar as mãos do braço da poltrona. E saí do cinema não querendo tocar em nada e ninguém. O apocalipse aqui não vem em forma de efeitos visuais. Vem em dados, mesmo que fictícios, e atuações. Gostei muito!
½ August 2, 2016
Has a lot to say, but doesn't have an engaging way to say any of it. Starts off fine enough, but loses intrigue fast. I'm perplexed as to why it has done so well. I'm not sure if critics got caught up in Soderbergh and the cast, or if there's something I'm just missing, but to me Contagion felt like nothing more than all of the things I don't like about Disaster movies, but with none of the excitement they usually have to help balance the scales a little.

Also what the Hell was Jude Law's accent supposed to be? That was awful.
½ July 31, 2016
This movie did not leave much to chance as it realistically depicts an epidemic of epic proportions that threatens the survival of mankind.
June 14, 2016
I was an extra for this movie so of course I want to see it! Can't wait.
June 8, 2016
Intense drama. Great performance and exceptionally smart, scary movie.
½ May 2, 2016
I have a special place in my heart for the medical thriller. Looking back, I believe it stems both from being sick a lot when I was a kid, and from really enjoying great ones over the years, like 'Coma' and 'Outbreak'. As well, more recently I remember the panic both my son's mother and I tended to have when our son was born during the SARS epidemic back in 2003. Needless to say, when one of these films comes along, it's only a matter of time before it crosses my path.

Director Soderbergh is intelligent enough to really make this material work, going at it from every conceivable angle (and many inconceivable ones!) yet still giving it coherence in a decent runtime (not a Bay-esque three hours) and there's enough star power to keep one's attention. The best kind of review for these sort of films is that it leaves you thinking twice before you have an affair, or even throw out your Kleenex, and that's specifically what Soderbergh's work here does.
April 25, 2016
a scientific dramma about virus infection looked from differents point of views ( some pointless ) which describes in a very accurate and realistic way what could happend if an unknown virus put in danger the mankind. Maybe a bit boring but attractive in some way .
½ April 11, 2016
A reasonably decent movie in spite of being fairly predictable. Contagion seems to cover most of the notes one would expect from a viral outbreak type film. While this film slightly focuses upon individual suffering during a viral epidemic, mostly a macro perspective is employed here in dealing with a worldwide outbreak.. The courage and sacrifice of scientist and health care providers is appropriately accentuated and deservedly so. A strong cast boosts the quality of this film.