Contagion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Contagion Reviews

September 22, 2017
Contagion was quite boring with an uninspired storyline, the whole plot of the movie is a killer flu hurting society. Rise of Planet of the Apes was way more fun than this, at least Rise of Planet of Apes didn't have hive-minded characters spewing out dialogue with empty meaning and spending the whole movie panicking and fighting off a virus.
August 6, 2017
Looks interesting to me.
July 26, 2017
I love this movie and watch it probably once a year to remind myself how important it is to wash your hands well! Hahaha. I love the take on what a massive epidemic would look like our over-urbanized global society. Yes it's a bit over draumatized but not enough to be ridiculous, and the realistic take is what makes the movie scary. I recommend everyone to at least watch it once to get a mere sense of how our world is connected and what the intertwining of politics and health looks like.
July 10, 2017
The minor subplot involving some of the family members may feel a little forced at times, but the performances are very good and the story has a great message that emphasizes the importance of vaccines. People, please vaccinate your children, and for the last time, it is scientifically impossible for vaccines to even cause autism!
½ June 30, 2017
This was alarming, to say the least. I am a bit of a germaphobe and a stickler for cleanliness, so this film just made my beliefs all the more firm and put my fears into overdrive. I think movies like this show us the different perspectives from how a virus like this is handled. It also reminds us of how very important it is to simply maintain cleanliness and how easily things can spiral out of control in situations such as this. Worth watching.
June 20, 2017
This movie is forgettable.
Contagion is a scientific-focused apocalypse. It is unique in that aspect, but as a viewer...you don't care. There isn't a personal or emotional connection other than high statistics of death.
There are subplots that distract from the main plot and so many characters you can't keep track.
In the end, Contagion is a failed twist at an apocalyptic movie.
June 9, 2017
Beklentilerimin coook altinda bir film olmus. Bu muhtesem kadroya yazik...
½ May 31, 2017
Tense and well acted, Contagion grips you and holds you in its power until the credits arrive...and a little while after that too.
May 11, 2017
There is no real sense of empathy for the characters as you never get to spend enough time with them.
Most characters feel stiff and one dimensional with notsogreat writing.
Lackluster at best, extremely boring at worse.
April 23, 2017
I mean, watch it for the montaging and cross-cutting alone; Soderbergh, Mirrione, and Martinez put on a clinic of visual storytelling and tension building. It's a marvel to watch in that regard. Plotwise, there are some aspects that got on my nerves a bit, especially in the saggy second act, but they come around to interesting conclusions in the third. Even the stuff involving Jude Law and his abomination of an Australian accent, which seemed dumb and eye-rolly for most of the movie, ended up as pretty interesting and relevant social commentary. Don't listen to the people who say the plot is unresolved. Come to your own conclusions.

Man. I really like how Steven Soderbergh makes movies.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B-
It's a perfectly serviceable mystery thriller, with good performances and ever stylish direction from Steven Soderbergh. However, there's nothing particularly memorable about it, and I'm already beginning to forget it. Worth watching if it's on TV one time.
February 14, 2017
Contagion, not surprisingly, has a few small scientific implausibilities but makes an excellent effort to stick to accuracy while still managing to express the tense atmosphere a real epidemic may exert on those trying to stop it. You will find yourself noticing a little more often when the person next to you coughs for a while.
½ January 3, 2017
Contagion is truly horrifying in its pseudo-documentary style and realistic depiction of a very possible disease even if its third act lacks tension and necessity. The soundtrack though carries the movie with its 70's esque ominous shrills and piano base.
November 6, 2016
Contagion is a star studded film about a disease that rapidly spreads across the world killing millions. I really liked this film, it made me feel really uncomfortable with germs, it has that kind of effect on you. The cast was excellent, it's impossible to talk about everyone without spending at least three paragraphs, but they were all great in their roles. My biggest problem is that certain stories seem unresolved at the end, and that was a little unsatisfactory.
½ October 7, 2016
"Contagion" is the 2011 film directed by Steven Soderbergh and written by Scott Z. Burns. The plot follows several different characters, in different locations, as they deal with the growth of the deadly virus known as MEV-1. Among these characters is Mitch (Mat Damon) a normal family man whose wife, Beth (Gwyneth Paltrow), is discovered to be the virus patient zero, and his daughter Jory (Anna Jacoby-Heron), who stays with him after Beth's passing. In the government, Dr. Ellis Cheever (Laurence Fishburne) and Dr. Ally Hextall (Jennifer Ehle), amongst others, try and find the cure to the fast-spreading disease before it becomes an epidemic of enormous proportions. The film's cast counts also with Jude Law as Alan Krumwiede, Marion Cotillard as Dr. Leonara Orantes and Kate Winslet as Dr. Erin Mears.

"Contagion" looked much more promising than it actually was, with its veteran director and screenwriter, it's stellar assemble and big budget, it looked great but did not deliver as expected, that doesn't mean it was bad, just no that good. The film's option to have as much as six (at one point) stories, of different characters, beeing followed at the same time seemed too much, even when they focused more in here rather than there, it just seemed too stuffed for me, maybe if they've focussed more on Damon's character, Mitch, which, for me, was the film's most interesting character overall, even do there where cliche traits to him, it would maybe improve in the history. So, even tough the actors all did a fine job, the choice of an assemble cast did not work.

So, as said, the actors DID do a fine job. Gwyneth Paltrow, which was in the film only in the beginning and in a few flashback scenes throughout, did great and gave a noticeable performance. Playing Paltrow's husband, Mitch, Matt Damon too did a fine job, with its moments, but overall just OK. Like Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne did fine, but with nothing much to the performance. Also in a small role, Kate Winslet did great (as always) playing Dr. Erin Mears. The rest of the assembled cast too did fine, with no miscasts and overall enjoyable performances. And although the movie has its problems, it's still pretty good, with fine editing and camera work, an engaging soundtrack that keep up with the film's fast pace, (some) worth-watching performances and overall entertaining plot.

"Contagion" is a fine popcorn movie that does some good to an overused formula for disaster movies, that could've been done better with its great cast and crew. 3.5/5.
½ October 1, 2016
Zu langweilig! Hab nach einer knappen Stunde ausgeschaltet.
½ October 1, 2016
Although it does have scenes that meander, this is an extremely tense and surprisingly scary movie, strengthened by an incredible cast.
September 19, 2016
I think expectation is what sunk this film for me when I saw it in the theaters 5 years ago. I was really hoping for a film like Outbreak which would focus more intently on the fight to find the cure. While Contagion certainly looks at the people who are seeking a way to save lives, the movie endeavors to take a more broad look at how a pandemic would affect society as a whole. The film is presented in what I call the collage format as it weaves together a bunch of small stories that all relate to the central theme, but don't always interact with one another directly. I'm not a big fan of collage movies, because I have found that they all have the same problems for me. First of all, they jump around between stories so rapidly that it's hard to really get to know the characters in order to form a strong investment. Just when I'm starting to enjoy the Kate Winslet story we have to break suddenly and spend the next 10 minutes with Laurence Fishburne. By the time we get back, Winslet's story basically ended without us being there for it. Collage problem number two is the fact that there are always some of the stories that don't get enough attention for them to flourish (or they just plain suck) and this creates a strange contrast when juxtaposed with much better plot threads in the same film. The real big offender here was Marion Cotillard's kidnapping that came across as a sad afterthought. The third problem that these collage films often struggle with is blending the tone of all the different stories. This was less of a problem in Contagion because every story was bleak, so they worked reasonably well with one another. I actually enjoyed Contagion more this time because I went in knowing what to expect, but I still don't think that the best way of telling a story about the deadly threat of infectious disease is to latch onto the Love Actually model of story-telling. It's a reasonably entertaining mess of a film.
September 5, 2016
I can easily see this happening some day, and not that far away
½ September 2, 2016
Very good movie about an epidemic scenario. Good performances and good entertainment. Not a must see.