Contagion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Contagion Reviews

January 21, 2018
Not as good as Outbreak, but almost on the same level. Pretty good.
December 30, 2017
Compadent medical thriller helped along by a strong cast, it fails to fully involve the viewer in its disjointed plot and lacks the impact its subject matter deserves.
½ October 30, 2017
Quite Afew Stories At Once Sometimes Overwhelm The Senses. The Music In Some Sections Is Just Perfectly Done, Great Score-Soundtrack Adds To The Sense Of Doom, Accentuates The Errie, Unease. While In Others, IE: The End...It's Just Plain Lame. It Has Some Schmotzie Moments But Overall It's Pretty Good.
September 24, 2017
This film is a long and winded way to remind people to wash their hands after handling raw meat ...
September 22, 2017
Contagion was quite boring with an uninspired storyline, the whole plot of the movie is a killer flu hurting society. Rise of Planet of the Apes was way more fun than this, at least Rise of Planet of Apes didn't have hive-minded characters spewing out dialogue with empty meaning and spending the whole movie panicking and fighting off a virus.
August 6, 2017
Looks interesting to me.
July 26, 2017
I love this movie and watch it probably once a year to remind myself how important it is to wash your hands well! Hahaha. I love the take on what a massive epidemic would look like our over-urbanized global society. Yes it's a bit over draumatized but not enough to be ridiculous, and the realistic take is what makes the movie scary. I recommend everyone to at least watch it once to get a mere sense of how our world is connected and what the intertwining of politics and health looks like.
July 10, 2017
The minor subplot involving some of the family members may feel a little forced at times, but the performances are very good and the story has a great message that emphasizes the importance of vaccines. People, please vaccinate your children, and for the last time, it is scientifically impossible for vaccines to even cause autism!
½ June 30, 2017
This was alarming, to say the least. I am a bit of a germaphobe and a stickler for cleanliness, so this film just made my beliefs all the more firm and put my fears into overdrive. I think movies like this show us the different perspectives from how a virus like this is handled. It also reminds us of how very important it is to simply maintain cleanliness and how easily things can spiral out of control in situations such as this. Worth watching.
June 20, 2017
This movie is forgettable.
Contagion is a scientific-focused apocalypse. It is unique in that aspect, but as a viewer...you don't care. There isn't a personal or emotional connection other than high statistics of death.
There are subplots that distract from the main plot and so many characters you can't keep track.
In the end, Contagion is a failed twist at an apocalyptic movie.
June 9, 2017
Beklentilerimin coook altinda bir film olmus. Bu muhtesem kadroya yazik...
½ May 31, 2017
Tense and well acted, Contagion grips you and holds you in its power until the credits arrive...and a little while after that too.
May 11, 2017
There is no real sense of empathy for the characters as you never get to spend enough time with them.
Most characters feel stiff and one dimensional with notsogreat writing.
Lackluster at best, extremely boring at worse.
April 23, 2017
I mean, watch it for the montaging and cross-cutting alone; Soderbergh, Mirrione, and Martinez put on a clinic of visual storytelling and tension building. It's a marvel to watch in that regard. Plotwise, there are some aspects that got on my nerves a bit, especially in the saggy second act, but they come around to interesting conclusions in the third. Even the stuff involving Jude Law and his abomination of an Australian accent, which seemed dumb and eye-rolly for most of the movie, ended up as pretty interesting and relevant social commentary. Don't listen to the people who say the plot is unresolved. Come to your own conclusions.

Man. I really like how Steven Soderbergh makes movies.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B-
It's a perfectly serviceable mystery thriller, with good performances and ever stylish direction from Steven Soderbergh. However, there's nothing particularly memorable about it, and I'm already beginning to forget it. Worth watching if it's on TV one time.
February 14, 2017
Contagion, not surprisingly, has a few small scientific implausibilities but makes an excellent effort to stick to accuracy while still managing to express the tense atmosphere a real epidemic may exert on those trying to stop it. You will find yourself noticing a little more often when the person next to you coughs for a while.
½ January 3, 2017
Contagion is truly horrifying in its pseudo-documentary style and realistic depiction of a very possible disease even if its third act lacks tension and necessity. The soundtrack though carries the movie with its 70's esque ominous shrills and piano base.
November 6, 2016
Contagion is a star studded film about a disease that rapidly spreads across the world killing millions. I really liked this film, it made me feel really uncomfortable with germs, it has that kind of effect on you. The cast was excellent, it's impossible to talk about everyone without spending at least three paragraphs, but they were all great in their roles. My biggest problem is that certain stories seem unresolved at the end, and that was a little unsatisfactory.
½ October 7, 2016
"Contagion" is the 2011 film directed by Steven Soderbergh and written by Scott Z. Burns. The plot follows several different characters, in different locations, as they deal with the growth of the deadly virus known as MEV-1. Among these characters is Mitch (Mat Damon) a normal family man whose wife, Beth (Gwyneth Paltrow), is discovered to be the virus patient zero, and his daughter Jory (Anna Jacoby-Heron), who stays with him after Beth's passing. In the government, Dr. Ellis Cheever (Laurence Fishburne) and Dr. Ally Hextall (Jennifer Ehle), amongst others, try and find the cure to the fast-spreading disease before it becomes an epidemic of enormous proportions. The film's cast counts also with Jude Law as Alan Krumwiede, Marion Cotillard as Dr. Leonara Orantes and Kate Winslet as Dr. Erin Mears.

"Contagion" looked much more promising than it actually was, with its veteran director and screenwriter, it's stellar assemble and big budget, it looked great but did not deliver as expected, that doesn't mean it was bad, just no that good. The film's option to have as much as six (at one point) stories, of different characters, beeing followed at the same time seemed too much, even when they focused more in here rather than there, it just seemed too stuffed for me, maybe if they've focussed more on Damon's character, Mitch, which, for me, was the film's most interesting character overall, even do there where cliche traits to him, it would maybe improve in the history. So, even tough the actors all did a fine job, the choice of an assemble cast did not work.

So, as said, the actors DID do a fine job. Gwyneth Paltrow, which was in the film only in the beginning and in a few flashback scenes throughout, did great and gave a noticeable performance. Playing Paltrow's husband, Mitch, Matt Damon too did a fine job, with its moments, but overall just OK. Like Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne did fine, but with nothing much to the performance. Also in a small role, Kate Winslet did great (as always) playing Dr. Erin Mears. The rest of the assembled cast too did fine, with no miscasts and overall enjoyable performances. And although the movie has its problems, it's still pretty good, with fine editing and camera work, an engaging soundtrack that keep up with the film's fast pace, (some) worth-watching performances and overall entertaining plot.

"Contagion" is a fine popcorn movie that does some good to an overused formula for disaster movies, that could've been done better with its great cast and crew. 3.5/5.
½ October 1, 2016
Zu langweilig! Hab nach einer knappen Stunde ausgeschaltet.