Contagion Reviews

• 4d ago

Loved it.... death comes to those who you wouldn't expect it character wise - but exactly who it would really come to in real life. VERY well done..... one of my favourite "disaster" type movies as is not bullsh*t

• Oct 02, 2019

It's not the best outbreak movie out there. Still get some good performances from big actors. The story is good but not great.

• Sep 11, 2019

The cast of this movie is impressive, but it is also a problem: there were too many plots points and some are irrelevant. An example is Dr. Orantes. There were very little intensity in the movie, which was also due to too many plot points. This movie will be much better if it cuts off some characters and plot points and focuses on the other. It tried to tackle so many things that it ended up only scratching the surfaces. Even more, this problem made the ending pointless. I'm not sure why critics and people liked this movie so much, but it's definitely not good.

• Aug 25, 2019

Incredible movie. Well done 🥳🥳🥳

Incredible movie. Well done 🥳🥳🥳

• Aug 03, 2019

Despite not giving enough screen time for each of the actors for us to get emotionally invested in them as well as not being up to the standards of some of Steven Soderbergh's better movies, the tension, performances of the talented cast and the atmosphere make Contagion a disaster movie with a difference.

• Jul 07, 2019

It tries to be as accurate to scientific and human truth as it can be, but it happens as in most of Soderbergh movies in last times: he tries harder that they look as documentaries, instead of trying they don't look boring.

• Jun 17, 2019

A starkly effective ensemble drama which could well do for the sniffles what Jaws did for great whites. Here's a scare-the-crap-out-of-you medical thriller about a viral pandemic . Contagion is serious, precise, frightening, emotionally enveloping. Steven Soderbergh's Contagion is a serious all-star thriller. Stars: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne , Daria Strokous .

• Jun 12, 2019

2nd time watching still as "meh" as the first.

2nd time watching still as "meh" as the first.

• Jun 07, 2019

A definitive example from the constantly underrated Steven Soderbergh and writer Scott Z. Burns of what a disaster movie should be: a smart examination of the fallout on science, how society reacts, and the humane stories of individual people.

• Jun 02, 2019

Contagion remains — by far — Soderberg's best film throughout a career that boasts Magic Mike, Ocean's 11 (2001), Side Effects, the amazing 2 seasons of Cinemax's, "The Knick," and an epic, genre-bending, mind-breaking, HBO miniseries, "Moasiac," (it is 2019 at the time of this written review after rewatching the film for the umpteenth time since its 2011 release). Seriously, this film is criminally underrated and as someone with a Bachelor's Degree in Biochemistry, I assumed after revisiting Contagion years later that I'd find a laughable number of problems in the dialogue when two fictional characters have to give expository information to each other and the viewer, and yet the entire 1hr47min film never once wavers. I thought that there would be many instances of the camera showing us the computer monitors or presentation screens of various scientists & government officials as they quickly show the 3-D rendering of the virus, AND YET I SAW SOFTWARE I'VE USED MYSELF WITH MORE THAN REASONABLE EXPLANATIONS OF HOW THIS FICTIONAL VIRUS IS ABLE TO BE SO DEADLY WHILE AT THE SAME TIME THINKING, "YES, THIS IS HOW IT WOULD HAPPEN, AND IT COULD HAPPEN, AND THIS FILM DOESN'T HAVE TO SELL YOU ON THE ANXIETY OR PANIC WITH A BOOMING SCORE OR CLICHE DRAMATIC BEATS — THE SCRIPT & ACTORS DO ALL THE WORK FOR YOU." It's insane to think that both David Fincher & Steven Soderberg have carved out their own, unique cinematic niches in Hollywood, (while both have also dealt with frustrating scenarios w/ different major Hollywood studios which almost completely shattered their desire to make films again — thankfully both eventually were given the respect they never deserved to have ripped away & came back to their craft). But I'm curious, if you were to take audiences who weren't familiar with directors and screenwriters by name, but were able to understand that when they saw movies like, "Seven," and, "Unsane," that they were in the hands of a distinct project by a singular mind, (much like how nobody could ever watch any Tarantino movie and at the end of it not be able to tell you that Tarantino made it), if Fincher & Soderberg — as the masterminds and pioneers of the 21st century's movement from film to digital cinematography — would perhaps be indistinguishable to many people, ESPECIALLY if you were to show them films like Zodiac & Contagion; or perhaps Gone Girl and Side Effects — tell me true: would YOU know which brilliant director made each film? What about if the score/soundtracks (often dead giveaways) were taken out of the cut? Yeah, I didn't think so either...