Contagion Reviews

• 16h ago

The most fascinating part of this movie is its predictive qualities, weaving its narrative like CNN coverage of 2020, albeit nine years before it happened. The direction is dry but the acting, cinematography, and editing more than make up for it. The story is grounded and human, taking the good with the bad in a docudrama style that works well for the subject matter. Unfortunately, it doesn't really go anywhere and can't manage to pull the threads together in the end. Content warning: mild gore Closest comparison: It's like Munich by way of Babel. Setting: Spy Thriller Plot: Disaster Tone: DocuDrama

• 5d ago

Was there any point to this movie, or character arcs? It just seemed strung together without any plan. Soderburgh booked a day of Elliot Gould and a day of John Hawkes and thought they could edit into something coherent. Did the Kate Winslet character die? I don't even know, she was very sick and then I don't remember seeing her again. It's worth 2 stars just to watch Marion Cotillard sleuthing, but that's about it.

• Feb 20, 2021

ESSE FILME SE DEFINE POR SI SÓ , DISPENSA COMENTÁRIOS!

ESSE FILME SE DEFINE POR SI SÓ , DISPENSA COMENTÁRIOS!

• Feb 18, 2021

One of the best, if not the best, pandemic movies ever made. I've watched it 4 times and it's still good. Highly recommend!

• Jan 20, 2021

Who would have guessed how relevant this film would become? It's a good film, I don't have much to say about it, if you want to be scared stiff right now, this acts as a pretty good horror film. Great cast, hits the right beats.

• Jan 19, 2021

I like it! So, it's a start to finish pandemic. The film it a gritty no punches held portrayal of an outbreak caused by poor food handling in a far eastern country (WOW who would have thought it) which causes a virus to jump into humans, it gets to kill Gwyneth Paltrow (lucky virus) but by that point it's too late. We follow multiple stories which all sort of cross and collide, we see the politics and the effect on the ground. Star of the movie – Laurence Fishburne as the leader of the pandemic research team (Dr Ellis Cheever) really solid performance. Wet fish for me was Jude Law as the all-knowing Journalist. He played it well and was good as the unlikable know it all, but there was nothing different to the character or acting, in the end it just came across as Jude law playing Jude Law with a bad accent. The movie was nicely done, pretty realistic parts, makes COVID 19 look like a pussy!

• Jan 15, 2021

It was SO realistic that I was almost bored to tears. This movie badly needed some melodrama...or explosions!...or zombies 🧟‍♀️!!!

• Jan 11, 2021

A highly accurate thriller that predicts the Covid-19 pandemic events, where governments must face problems like social chaos, conspiracy theories, panic, economic collapse, and a higlhly lethal virus propagation.

Mark C Super Reviewer
    Jan 10, 2021

What felt like a very accurate depiction of a pandemic has aged well and it feels like, today, we could be in this movie, should things get worse. In fact, it's so on-the-nose, you might actually want to skip this movie until the Pandemic is over but it really is a good movie and plays out far too accurately predicting many things we HAVE experienced, right up to the vaccine.

• Jan 04, 2021

I have conflicting views on this movie. I love how it captures the epidemic. People are dying, the media are creating conspiracies, the people are disobeying the regulations for their own selfish desires. It is a great premise, and it has many great factors and ideas, but it just doesn't deliver. While it makes you feel hopeless, it's not actually a largely enjoyable movie. There aren't any "oh no everyone's dying!" moments, there isn't any suspense. There isn't any major plot points, the plot just keeps going and going and going on. I'd like a moment where there's action, not just doctors complaining about not having a vaccine for half the movie straight followed with some guy I don't care about staying inside his house. It's not exciting. There's a lot of plot points which feel like they were forgotten about. At one point the government were giving out vaccine by lottery, the main family were worried about how long they'd have to wait. They were never actually given the vaccine. The reporter who spread conspiracy theories about the vaccine being fake, nothing happened to him. The main guy found a shotgun in his neighbour's house, never used it. There's so many good ideas they ruined. Right at the end, there's a flashback of the first person who got it, and how it happened on Day 1 (the movie starts on Day 2). There wasn't a ‘aha' moment there, it was more of a ‘well okay, I already knew that'. It's an okay movie, I'd still recommend it, but I didn't really ‘enjoy' it. I will admit, it is frighteningly similar to how COVID went, so it is accurate.