Contract Killer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Contract Killer Reviews

April 9, 2014
This is Jet Li's last good Action Movie before leaving to Hollywood. Jet's as well as Eric Tsang's and Simon Yam's Characters are really sympathic and multifaceted. The plot is well constructed and offers a few nice twists that add drama before resolving into the great showdown. Although the Movie is from 1998 it feels more like mid-nineties. This largely shows in how humor and action scenes are handled. Here Jet Li still feels like Jet Li. He's not always getting everything that's going on, but at the same time his character is quietly maintaining the aura of undefeatable superiority. Though this aura is consistent throughout the movie, from beginning to end, it doesn't lead to predictable scenes or make him boring. It also doesn't mean that he is not getting into trouble. This is definitely his "goodbye HK" movie. If you liked Bodyguard from Bejing and My Father is a Hero don't miss it.
February 3, 2014
Hitman est une redoutable comédie comme Hong Kong savait en sortie dans les années 90. Le film est toujours drôle, concis, Jet Li et Eric Tsang forment un duo exceptionnel dont l'alchimie fonctionne des leur première scène en commun, Simon Yam est un excellent second rôle... Le problème du film réside dans le fait que ses scènes d'action, aussi réussies qu'elles soient, ralentissent un peu le rythme. Étrange pour un film avec Jet Li.
½ August 1, 2013
A decent Jet Li movie.
March 13, 2013
Great Acting, Funny Scenes and a Fun Time.
March 10, 2013
Not Jets best work, but a good enough action movie
January 22, 2013
I didn't really care for this one. Sorry, Jet.
½ June 24, 2012
stylish yet trashy everything i expect from a good chop suey pic
March 10, 2012
Wouldn't say its the best of Jet Li's movies but Hitman is a good primer to his Hong Kong years. However its American re-edit Contract Killer is a horrible piece of crap. Jet Li is dubbed by a guy who makes him sound like an imbecile. And the hip hop soundtrack is bad, now the Black Mask Re-edit was a good re-edit because it featured some scenes that the HK version didn't and I could tolerate the soundtrack. Contract killer has none of that the soundtrack is bad the dubbing is bad, scenes are removed and nothing is special about it, it doesn't even have any actual extra scenes compared to the HK version. Now, its not the absolutely shitty treatment that Once upon a time in China got, which went from 2hrs and 14 minutes to and 1hr and 40mins. That is alot of f**king editing, what do studios think you can't sit through a 2 hr kung fu flick.
February 22, 2012
Simple and a bunch of fun actions.
½ October 11, 2011
CONTRACT KILLER (1998)
½ July 7, 2011
Decent! There were even some funny parts, what is normally typical for Jackie Chan movies.
June 7, 2011
Totally raw with a hint of humor. A highly protected elderly and ruthless businessman plots a ransom on the head of his masked assassin. A down and out "wannabe" hitman goes through changes with a conman to take on the assignment. In their adventure, not only do they find out who the hitman is, they eventually acquire the assistance of the police department, because the grandson of the ruthless businessman has an agenda of his own. Incredible fight scenes, (lousy stab at hip-hop soundtrack...LOL!...) good story line, for a martial arts epic..
½ April 10, 2011
Some fighting scenes were not very convincing but as an action/comedy movie it is quite entertaining. I like Eric Tsang's performance and the thrifty Jet Li ^_^x
½ February 3, 2011
I was impressed by the cinematography and action in the first 10 minutes. Kinda maintains it throughout the rest of the movie. I like Eric Tsang's comedic performance as the bumbling manager of the trainee hitman Jet Li plays.

Story's pretty simple, decent action here and there, nothing else special.
½ January 6, 2011
Wenn man die Dialoge ignoriert, ist der Film hervorragend.
December 7, 2010
As with many Jet Li films, this movie is oddly uneven in tone, switching from screwball comedy to bloody violence with little warning. I don't normally enjoy Hong Kong comedy, but this has some genuinely funny bits, which is good, because the action scenes are few and far between. When they do finally happen, they tend to be pretty good. The finale is fast paced with some very cool martial arts. The leads are all good. Unfortunately, the subtitles aren't especially well done. I've certainly seen much worse, though.
May 27, 2010
Yet another movie. I just don't know when to quit.

The guys over on the Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Other Asian Films Group won't be pleased. I'm just not gushing all over the place about this movie. The only reason I don't give it a splat is for the kick-ass martial arts by our man Jet.

The rest is typical Hong Kong action comedy. Jet is a poor guy, a good guy at heart. Somehow though, he's hooked up with a bunch of wannabe hoods who think they can be contract killers.

He eventually is teamed up with a "manager", really just a short, chubby comic relief guy and they are on the trail of the "King of Killers" who assassinated a Japanese mob boss. They are up against other contract killers, including the mob boss' grandson, for a share of the "revenge reward" for killing the assassin. The grandson is a piece of work. He eats grandad's ashes to show how tough he is.

The comic relief guy has a daughter who's tossed in for romantic interest.

All the dull melodrama between the action really dragged this movie down. But it was still fun to watch, partially because it was dubbed in English, with everyone speaking in really chipper, Midwestern tones. It was like the movie was filmed in Lincoln, Nebraska or Champaign, Illinois - not Hong Kong. A rap soundtrack added to the Americanization of this movie - clearly a move to sell it to the Romeo Must Die and Cradle 2 the Grave crowd. Even that got annoying though, so I was left to watch the kick-ass action.
½ February 21, 2010
it's....alright....:/
but wasn't really about Jet Li
January 2, 2010
One of my favorite Jet Li films. A cult classic!