Control - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Control Reviews

½ December 21, 2016
Less about the music, more about a man with a sense of conscience but a lack of control over his actions. Sam Riley does a great job of showing a man tailspinning out of control when he's drawn to infidelity and he feels the bonds of love for his wife loosening. Brilliantly shot and obviously blessed with a great soundtrack, it's a dark, depressing film that hits the target.
½ December 14, 2016
La película que esta banda se merecía. Los actores cumplen con el alto rol que debían cumplir y De mas esta decirlo de Anton Corbjin
October 7, 2016
This is a perfect biopic about Ian Curtis' rise and fall as singer of Joy Division. Filmed entirely in black and white, the actors were well cast with physical similarities of the subjects they represent. The acting is brilliant. The realism of the film makes one fall into the plot often forgetting that they are watching a representation of true events (with some minor liberties) and not the actual events unfolding.

All essential elements of the Joy Division story are represented here including the classic Granada TV performance. Sam Riley and Samantha Morton are standouts in the lead roles of husband and wife.

There are few films that I have watched twice in a row and this is one of them. I would not improve on this as a depiction of the Joy Division story within a couple of hours. One does not need to be a fan of music or of Joy Division to appreciate this film.
October 1, 2016
Very well made, great black and white cinematography, acting and story.
½ September 13, 2016
Even with a script that lacks the proper emotional profundity that Ian Curtis possessed in his lyrics, a great lead performance by Sam
Riley, and an attractive direction and beautiful cinematography makes this biopic a faithful and decent ride for Joy Division's fans.
½ August 30, 2016
I am enormous Joy Division fan, and I have adored other films from Anton Corbijn, so I should love this film. I do up to a point. The first hour that depicts Ian and Deborah's early relationship and the formation of the band are wonderful. The accuracy and attention to detail in staging the band's live performances are particularly impressive. Sam Riley really has Curtis down. The second hour is where it gets dicey. The band angle is virtually abandoned in favour of their relationship difficulties leading up to his suicide. That's fine in a way since the film is an adaptation of her book, but the hour largely consists of Curtis quite literally doing nothing to resolve a romantic triangle. It should not be as long as it is.
½ March 15, 2016
Probably the best film I've seen about a rock musician. This neither glamourises or demonises the life of Ian Curtis, but depicts his inner turmoil and tragic decline sensitively and without resorting to easy moral judgments. With great authenticity, director Anton Corbijn transports the viewer back to 1970s Manchester, given a sense of bleak beauty by the stark, black-and-white camerawork. Some great performances, and Sam Riley is outstanding as Curtis. A worthy tribute to both Curtis and Joy Division, one of the most influential bands of the post-punk era.
January 14, 2016
I know I called Atonement movie of the year, but it's contending with this one so far. Lucky I saw both of them within a few days of each other. Whereas Atonement has a pervasive chilling tone throughout, Control deals with its subject matter in other ways; amongst the bleak inevitability of Curtis' death, we get glimpses of the rest of the band and their journey to stardom, and humour thrown in to ensure it's not all too much of a downer. Their best songs are heard all the way through, fitting to each situation as we join Curtis on his downhill spiral. This is the first time in ages a movie has really grabbed me, some of the things I saw on the screen were eerily familiar (not his problems, just different shots and circumstances), and when it was all over, Atmosphere playing at the end gave me goosebumps. A very powerful and intense movie, tragic yet beautiful. Most of the cinema sat still in the credits just basking in some sweet Joy Division sounds. Completely brilliant.
½ October 22, 2015
One of the better "rock biopics." This one's about Ian Curtis, the lead singer of Joy Division, a band better known in its later incarnation as New Order. Fans of both fans are aware of Curtis's fate, so to avoid spoilers I'll just say that this guy was very hard to like, at least in the way this film portrays him. He's almost a rock cliche. This isn't surprising since the movie is based on a book written by the wife he treated terribly. But, the guy had some serious medical issues and he got famous really quickly (sound familiar Cobain fans?). Add in the pressures of a failing marriage, a baby and his illness and one can almost sympathize with the guy. The music is stellar - you'll love it even if you're only a casual fan of this style of music of that era. As for the performances, Samantha Morton as Curtis's wife is great, as usual. I'm not sure I've ever seen Sam Riley before (he's also in "Maleficent"), but he's really good here as Curtis. Had the movie been better marketed or if the band had been bigger in the States, there definitely would've been some Oscar nods. Not for everyone, but if you're a music fan you should find something to like about this.
September 27, 2015
A very interesting biopic about Ian Curtis and Joy Division. This movie paint well his personnal life but also all the pressure he had to manage. Such a tragic ending.
June 8, 2015
Riley is Ian's doppelganger.
½ May 25, 2015
This masterfully shot film certainly captures the tone of Ian Curtis' artistry, but it often feels like it tries to hard to make us understand why this talented man killed himself. And, it almost feels like the best answer that the film can come up with his the banality of his life. While it captures the music and tone, it also feels somehow false. In the end, the movie is all too simplistic. Sam Riley's performance is fantastic. Sadly, this one of the few times I've been unimpressed by Samantha Morton. It's as if she doesn't belong in the movie. Or, am I missing some point Corbijn / Myren were trying to make?
½ April 17, 2015
Director Anton Corbijn's biopic about Joy Division's lead singer Ian Curtis is a touching portrayal of a troubled young man in the trappings of stardom and himself. Filmed with great raw energy, Control sometimes seems as real as it might have been the life of the subject that the film was based on. With relative young fresh talent, every actor resembles the characters
they are playing, especially Sam Riley who does an excellent job in the acting department as well as looking almost identical to Ian Curtis. The singing done by Riley in the film sounded just like Joy Division live recordings. He even did the dancing that Ian was also famous for.
Also, this led to the rest of the actors playing their respective instruments with great results.
Control's cinematography was beautifully done by Martin Ruhe in a sophisticated British way, resembling the movies made in the late 50's and early 60's during the "British New Wave" movement (or as some might called them "kitchen sink dramas") that mirrored the working class in England at the time in a very realistic manner.
The film starts when young Ian was a 17 years old, living with his parents in England. During this time, young Curtis could be seen dozing off in class and using prescription drugs (which he stole
from neighbors that let him use their bathrooms). In this time period, he met his future wife Debbie Woodruff, mother of his only daughter Natalie Curtis. At the time, Debbie was dating one of his best
friends Nick and fell deeply in love with Ian. From here, the film showcases the rise of his band Joy Division as well as the fall of his marriage, this being ultimately caused by the affair between Curtis and Annik Honorà (C) (reporter for a Belgiam fanzine). Notwithstanding, this behavior was believed
to be the precursor of numerous epilepsy attacks that slowly destroyed him and supposedly led him to his suicide just before leaving to America for the bands first North American Tour.
The film presents a sad look at a talented young man that left a bit early.
His band Joy Division has been cited by countless artists and bands as being an enormous influence on them and music as we know it today. After Curtis's death, the band reformed with the name New Order and gained much success. The band changed their name to respect
a promise they made which stated that if one of their members died they would continue the band but with a different name.
April 4, 2015
Wow! A great performance by Sam Riley! He can even sing like Ian Curtis.
½ March 15, 2015
I am still quite unsettled by this movie. It's moody and harrowing but drags you in immediately. Great soundtrack!
½ January 30, 2015
Great (and very sad) biopic about one of the gratest rock n roll icons ever.
January 24, 2015
the best music biopic movie I have ever watched
January 3, 2015
Loved this picture, terrific performances
August 17, 2014
Depressing and cool at the same time. And because I'm not familiar with Joy Division's history, so this biopic about the band's frontman Ian Curtis seems original to me. The B&W cinematography, editing, sound, and acting especially from Sam Riley, Toby Kebbell, and Samantha Morton, are great. Watching "Control" was like being tied with a rope, I couldn't move or even breathe until it finished. ___[ A ]
½ August 15, 2014
Well acted and directed..