Control Reviews

• Apr 20, 2019

A beautiful and very believable film, with powerfully affecting music performances, and always credible characters. Moving.

• Nov 24, 2018

Introspective and beautiful film that portrays such a legendary figure in a way anyone can identify and sympathize with.

• Nov 02, 2018

Brilliant movie by Corbijn about the lead singer and writer ian Curtis of the legendary band Joy Division. I grew up with this music and to this day treasure it. Sam Riley does a very good job portraying Ian Curtis and kudos to the actors for actually performing music life and not all bad either. Anyway, corbijn as a famous photographer obviously has an eye for creating beautiful images and he doesn''t disappoint. The story does not dig very deep, but we get an impression and I hope more people discovered this fantastic band. The one star missing is because corbijn obviously still has to learn a lot about story telling, but for any Joy Division Fan this is required viewing, of course followed by watching 24 hour party people, to get more context and because it's a lot of fun.

• Aug 24, 2018

The protrayal is astonishing by Sam Riley who is Ian Curtis double. Movie was great until around the 1 hour mark around the time he met Annik and for the last 50 minutes it dragged at such a slow pace. Still decent biopic. Would mean more to the fans of the band. I knew of them, and of him and what happened , just was never a fan of the band. Just knew some of the songs and their classic song , Love will tear us apart.

• Jul 16, 2018

Powerful and emotional, beautifully filmed with great acting and of course an amazing soundtrack. While the TORTURED decent of Ian Curtis is at times painful to watch it is also MESMERIZING, nothing but praise all round for those involved!

• May 31, 2018

Curtis' story is scant and unremarkable, filled with every rock 'n roll cliché save for drug addiction, but Corbijn treats it as though it's some sort of epic. - Arizona Daily Star

• Feb 16, 2018

I am someone who thinks that on the whole it's best if white boys are kept well away from guitars because they make horrible noises with them. So l am not a big fan of gloomy Mancunian rock music. But this is a terrific little movie and as has been pointed out one of the best musical biopics ever made. Love really can tear us apart.

• Jan 21, 2018

I love Joy Division, and this is a very artistic view of the troubled man behind them. I have to say though, it's not the most exciting film about a rock star I've saw. A bit flat... still, if you are a fan of his music, don't miss it.

• Dec 21, 2016

Less about the music, more about a man with a sense of conscience but a lack of control over his actions. Sam Riley does a great job of showing a man tailspinning out of control when he's drawn to infidelity and he feels the bonds of love for his wife loosening. Brilliantly shot and obviously blessed with a great soundtrack, it's a dark, depressing film that hits the target.

• Dec 14, 2016

La película que esta banda se merecía. Los actores cumplen con el alto rol que debían cumplir y De mas esta decirlo de Anton Corbjin