Conversations With Other Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conversations With Other Women Reviews

Robert B.
September 28, 2015
Conversations with Other Women is a film for people who enjoy conversation and experimentation. It is very much an ambiguous and paradoxical film: is this improvisational honesty? Is it alternate reality? The split screen feels like it is a natural element and yet remains a fascinating device throughout. Recommended to fans of errant romance.
½ January 23, 2015
A great dialogue film that just fills it's runtime. Excellent and interesting performances from Eckhart and Carter.
October 26, 2014
I feel a bit wrong in rating this because apparently I watched the crappy non-split-screen version that was made for TV, and which pretty much plays as an unimaginative TV movie with a decent script and likable acting that doesn't compare well to its obvious inspiration (though what movie does?) What I saw was pretty average, but my score will probably change when I eventually see it as it was originally edited.
½ June 20, 2014
real and well written.
April 24, 2014
Really tragic that it's named a comedy, the story was complex but short and it was told in split screen, it works great in some scenes but mostly it's just annoying..
February 23, 2014
This is a cleverly written movie about 2 childhood sweethearts that reunite at the wedding. The whole movie is shot with 2 cameras so your watching it from 2 different angles. The film really does seem like its shot without any takes and that it's one conversation between 2 people. There are only 2 characters through the majority of the movie, but as they are 2 top class actors, they do make the movie interesting and entertaining. I know that the movie is old, but I thought that I would give it a go as there isn't that many movies out this month. I'm glad that I chose this film because it's a very original and a different way of shooting a film. Surprisingly Enjoyable!

Aaron Eckhart is another one of those actors that doesn't get the recognition that he is due. He was great in The Dark Knight and he was missed in The Dark Knight Rises. He was a great choice for this movie and the chemistry between him and Helen Bonham Carter was great. I must admit, I couldn't see where the hell the movie was going from the beginning, but once it starts going its funny and emotional in parts.

Budget: $450,000
Worldwide Gross: $975,000

I recommend this movie to people who are into there movies about 2 childhood sweethearts that reunite at a wedding. 6/10
February 15, 2014
it employs a pretty well thought out gimmick that could certainly hold anyone's attention to the intriguing "drama" between these two
February 12, 2014
In the hands of Carter and Eckhart, this story about an affair is lush and full of the mixed chemistry associated with two people who are drawn to each other and repulsed due to emotional baggage. Fantastic work.
½ August 14, 2013
HBC and Aaron Eckhart meet at a wedding, and we get the impression that it's not the first time. Their characters' history is hinted at in split-screen flashbacks with doe-eyed Nora Zehetner as the former, whose resemblance to early-aughts HBC is really quite inspired, but her accent could use a little work.

We know these ex-lovers are gonna fuck tonight, but the cat-and-mouse foreplay is still subtly suspenseful, with underhanded barbs and guarded tellings of their separate pasts. The script IS basic with no notable or quotable aphorisms, but I like that. The characters aren't trying to impress each other. HBC and Eckhart are so easy together that it's clear to see how the act of having sex doesn't really matter and how cheating on their SOs essentially isn't meant to be a hurtful or sinful thing, but a matter of course for the soul-connected.

I didn't love or hate the split-screen technique. At first I found it difficult to watch because I couldn't tell where the angles and POVs were, but I got over it and enjoyed the few moments where the screens showed the future and the characters' different reactions. The end when the screens match up confuses me though. Do they end up together? Should they?
June 29, 2013
I Don't Look Up Female Film Actors On The Internet.
½ June 24, 2013
painfully complex, but what in life isn't?
½ February 28, 2013
I liked this movie and the way we, the audience, slowly found out what the relationship between these two people had been, and perhaps what it still was. I found both of their characters very appealing and that I wanted to know more about them and what their relationship had been. I felt sorry that they hadn't made it, and even wondered if there was still a chance for them. I wondered what happened to their baby. In show business, the motto is "Leave them wanting more" and this movie definitely did that for me.
½ February 8, 2013
impressive what two actors can do for the whole span of a flick. they peel away layer by layer the inhibitions of a man and a woman on each side of a split screen. playful depiction of what could have been along with closure.
½ February 6, 2013
Something about this movie made me fall in love with it. The use of the split screen intensified the feelings of the two characters, allowing the audience to feel the space that now exists between them even though they may be in the same room. This technique also allowed the film to delve into flashbacks of the younger couple whilst also staying with them in the present time. I thought both leads were amazing. Eckhart plays the guy you hate to love - but somehow you find yourself liking him, and by the end of the film I even felt somewhat sorry for him as he admits his loneliness. The dialogue in this film is exceptional. It is witty, sharp, at times funny and full of emotion and history. The two characters have deep histories and a great chemistry despite how the relationship ended. Despite being a film of two people talking the entire time I was glued to the screen and both intrigued and interested in these characters. It may be easy to amuse the brain with flashy CGI and lots of action, but it takes true talent to create a film like this that doesn't lose momentum or drown itself in boring, self aware dialogue. Well worth the watch.
½ January 22, 2013
So. This movie attempts to have such a gimmick in it as the split screen. And it works. The slow reveals, the double angles, the nonstop splitting of the characters... it all works. I just with the plot wasn't so very contrived.
January 11, 2013
Too many feelings in this movie, insightful and realistic and full of amazing sweet phrases, I think its simplicity is what makes the movie so lovable
½ December 14, 2012
Interesting, smart and touching. An interesting approach to a "waiting for Godot" tale with smart witty dialogue
November 21, 2012
Conversations with Other Women still remains one of my favorite films. The split screen provides for an interesting watch and fits true to the film's tagline: There are two sides to every love story. Helena Bonham Carter and Aaron Eckhart have great energy on screen, further enhancing the development of the characters' relationship.
November 6, 2012
This is a movie that is moved more by dialogue (as in plays) than any other component of film.
October 1, 2012
AN Iffy Plot with some creative camera work to balance it out.