The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover Reviews

• Mar 28, 2019

A emotionally-interactive film that draws your attention beginning to end. Beautiful!

• Feb 13, 2019

Certainly not a movie for everyone. Helen Mirren is exquisite as always. Meanwhile, Michael Gambon is incredible as her pompous, foul-mouthed criminal husband. Strangely, this film's elegant offensiveness is as palatable as its artistic and intellectual mood and attention to detail.

• Jan 28, 2019

A woman begins a torrid romance of infidelity and tries to keep it from her nefarious husband. Acting: 10 There is a reason Helen Mirren is one of my favorite actresses. She can be vulnerable and powerful all in the same breath. She makes you sympathize with her character and champion for her to win. She plays Georgina, the wife of a thug. She hates her life and is longing for more. The way she expresses that longing is done in subtle fashion, yet you can feel exactly what she is feeling. There are a number of strong performances in the film, but none quite as strong as hers. Beginning: 1 I couldnâ(TM)t tell up from down when the movie started. I didnâ(TM)t know what to think, who to hate, or who to root for. That all eventually became clear, but the beginning was very muddled and had me losing hope that the movie could be good. Good thing thereâ(TM)s more to this film than the first ten minutes. Characters: 7 The title, of course, gives away the characters that dominate the story. Each character carries their own weight and adds a different value to the story. Outside of Georgina, I enjoyed watching Alan Howard act out his role of Michael the Lover. He has an air of ignorance with a touch of nobility. Heâ(TM)s a good guy that enjoys being alone, not realizing that he is looking for someone special in his life. That is, until he meets Georgina who turns his life upside down. The interactions between the two provide for a number of great scenes. And, no, Iâ(TM)m not just referring to the sex, although there are some steamy scenes. Cinematography/Visuals: 10 Conflict: 8 Genre: 8 Definitely not the best drama Iâ(TM)ve seen, but hands-down, one of the most unique. I can honestly say Iâ(TM)ve never seen anything quite like this movie. Itâ(TM)s different for a lot of reasons, but mainly in the way the film is shot which helps push the overall tone. It shines with a special kind of flare that sticks in your memory. Memorability: 8 Pace: 5 Plot: 10 Unique story with an interesting twist. I appreciate when movies try and do something different, and thatâ(TM)s where (insert long title here) succeeds. Itâ(TM)s a gut-wrenching love story told with conviction and passion. Resolution: 10 Canâ(TM)t talk about this movie without talking about that ending. Wow, what an ending! Didnâ(TM)t see it coming in the least. It was both unbelievable and gratifying at the same time. If you havenâ(TM)t heard of or seen this movie, I wonâ(TM)t ruin it for you. Iâ(TM)ll just say prepare to be pleasantly shocked. Overall: 77 A stronger beginning and a quicker pace could have made this movie excellent, but itâ(TM)s still solid enough for a one-time watch. I can guarantee you The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover will be unlike anything youâ(TM)ve ever seen before.

• Jul 18, 2018

Equal parts putrid and fascinating.

Equal parts putrid and fascinating.

• Jul 12, 2018

Unforgettable and Totally Brilliant

Unforgettable and Totally Brilliant

• Jul 08, 2018

The movie was extremely fun to watch not because it's got a great story which it doesn't, but because of how it's taken. Peter Greenaway uses color so well, it's not a joke. Honestly one of the best movies I've seen from a directorial aspect because of how artsy and well done it is.

• Feb 22, 2018

Wildly sadistic, hilarious and memorable. Greenaway has made something that blurs the lines between theatrical execution and cinematic and it never feels like it forces itself to be one or the other but rather dives deep into its ruthless and terrifying circumstances, flawlessly performed by Gambon and Mirren.

• Feb 15, 2018

Lots to admire in terms of staging and technical work and it is a true arts movie. Its heavy symbolism got a bit overpowering at times, Michael Gambon deserves praise for his performance which does more than anything else to hold the production together.

• Feb 15, 2018

It's genius and marvelous, 'The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover' is a masterpiece, so compelling, so brilliant and technally impeccable. Plus: The cast is fantastic and the direction amazing. (5/5)

• Feb 14, 2018

Playing out like a Kubrickian Viz cartoon, at times shockingly candid and pitch-black funny, Greenaway's gorgeous excoriation of greed, carnality and ignorance is the perfect satire of these Trumpian times. The camera tracks and gazes coolly as Michael Gambon's Neanderthal idiot rampages through the vast restaurant to Michael Nyman's mocking soundtrack. A movie that has become ever more relevant since its release.