Cooking with Stella - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cooking with Stella Reviews

September 27, 2013
Awful movie. Insulting to Indians and Canadians alike. The lead couple came across as gullible trusting idiots and every Indian a thief, swindler and morally challenged. the originally honest nanny turns a devious leaf in less than 10 minutes. Would not recommend. Whatever style the movie had was very reflective of the sensationalized Deepa Mehta movies.
September 6, 2013
It starts out cute but turns out Stella who thinks she's a christian is nothing but a thief and brings down the morals of the nanny. Very disappointed in this movie.
October 9, 2012
Cooking with Stella starts of cute & light-hearted but slowly starts to become more aimless and weak, and unsure of what kind of movie it wants to be, it ends in a jumbled mess.
August 27, 2012
amazing movie. a must see!
½ August 26, 2012
Such a sweet film. Indo-Canadian - is that a thing? A film about food and deception. :-)
½ August 15, 2012
It was ok. Not really about cooking though.
July 22, 2012
This is the worst movie ever. Do not even think about watching it. It's a morally corrupt film that basically advocates stealing. In addition, Stella is a devote Christian. If you are a Christian, which I am not, you will be disgusted. Stella is a theft who is caught and tried while her trusting Canadian employers do not see her sick deceitful ways. Along the way Stella corrupts an innocent Hindi girl to conform to her illness. This movie is CRAP!
April 8, 2012
Really nice movie. Funny entertaining and close to the Indian culture. The mixing if east and west
February 13, 2012
I had seen this movie as I wanted to know about India and see this country, but I was shocked that there is nothing positive shown in this movie regarding India and I got the message from this movie that in India everyone is a thieve, corrupt, ignorant, criminal and poor.. I don't know that what was the purpose of making of this movie other than to show this face of India to the foreign counties.........
½ January 3, 2012
A Bollywood/Hollywood hybrid film with a lot of potential but falling slightly short. Less than satisfactory ending.
June 13, 2011
Funny enjoyable movie that intersects the luxury of a forgein life into the poor local life in Delhi. Stella's "Robin hood" approach is both funny and sad, in her survivalist approach with the family she is paid to look out for. Real and lovely film.
April 25, 2011
The premise had a lot of promise when I first read about it in the Globe and Mail, but the execution of it was awkward, rambling and disjointed. Ostensibly, this is a story about a Canadian once-chef who finds a guru in the cook at the Canadian High Commission, but the Canadian characters and their various issues feel tacked on with tape right from the beginning. The real story is about Stella, her little scams, and her dreams of making a better life for herself by taking advantage of the "haves" whom she works for.

Ultimately, the story is poorly told. There are little visual and musical stings at the beginning which seem to indicate that "this is a quirky movie", but the twists that they reveal (Surprise! The woman is the ambassor, not the man! Surprise! The man is a really good cook and a professional chef! Surprise! He wants to shop in the Indian markets instead of the Embassy grocery store!) are outdated and plodding. After that it went from one stretched-to-the-point-of-fatigue, suspension-of-disbelief trope to another. I was hoping for more when I rented this film, but was sorely disappointed.
April 25, 2011
Starts out as a sweet culture clash dramedy with some tasty-looking Indian dishes thrown in a la Julie and Julia, but turns into a strange and annoying con artist caper. Perhaps if Don McKellar's character weren't so nice or Stella wasn't such a meanie, the outcome would have been more satisfying but as it stands, this movie was super disappointing.
February 21, 2011
All you have to do is read the synopsis on Flixster and you'll know the whole plot line. I thought it would be a mouthwatering cooking story but it's really a quirky comedic con movie in which Ottawa meets Bollywood!

I don't care for Don McKellar as an actor and although I loved Lisa Ray in Water, her character in this movie came off as bitchy. The two characters that I did enjoy watching were Seema Biswas' Stella and Shriya Saran as Tannu.
February 11, 2011
Sweet and saucy movie about Canadians in India and their cook. Don McKeller plays his usual naive and insecure self who trys to befriend Stella and get her to teach him how to cook Indain food. But Stella has been cooking up more then just the meals! Great story, characters and backdrop
February 10, 2011
Could have been a lot better than it was if it had more focus.
January 16, 2011
This movie was basically about Indians scamming canadiens - horrible.
January 2, 2011
Stella was unlikeable and never redeemed herself throughout the movie.
½ December 18, 2010
good concept, but very poorly executed....long, rambling and boring.
½ October 2, 2010
If you think Indian servants robbing kind Canadian diplomats (and in extension Canadian taxpayers) $40,000 is funny, then this movie is for you.