Cooking with Stella - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cooking with Stella Reviews

September 20, 2010
No likable characters, portrayed Indian people fairly poorly, and a fairly weak storyline. The footage was disappointing as I was hoping for at least more of a scenic movie. The comedy was pretty cheesy too. It just leaves you feeling pretty unfulfilled at the end.
August 28, 2010
Amusing Canuck comedy. It made me laugh to see on the DVD cover that some critic compared it to "Julie and Julia", which it most definitely is not. While there is cooking, it's more a movie about clash of cultures.
August 10, 2010
I was expecting this to be more about cooking. It turned out to be about the indian cook, Stella, and how she schemes to rip off the diplomats she serves. It's fairly entertaining but very simplistic.
July 16, 2010
Not much cooking, too much scheming. And I really didn't like that they got away with their dishonest schemes in the end.
July 14, 2010
Colorful, but a slow movie. Not to mention that the plot is full of holes. Somewhat revealing about the corruption in India.
½ July 11, 2010
Good story but not even close to the movie, "Julie & Julia".
½ July 7, 2010
This was a dissapointing film it started off well but goes downhill more & more as the movie progresses,Just a big dissapointment SKIP IT!!!
½ July 5, 2010
Peu inspiré, malgré quelques acteurs livrant de sympathiques performances.
½ June 17, 2010
Don McKellar was pretty adorable, and there were some HOT ladies in this. The one thing I didn't really like is how they kind of made light of the poverty and status and whatnot at the end. But it was interesting that Stella was such a complex character -- not a bad woman, maybe not a good one, but she does what she has to to make her life better.
½ June 4, 2010
It is very good piece because it touches many issues without major drama going on at the same time it's entertaining and bright. It is like a story which just came from life.
½ May 16, 2010
Not funny, morally bankrupt, story that can't stay on one plot for 5 minutes, possibly some missing reels as there are too many plot holes and almost NO COOKING!
May 8, 2010
Originally, I was hoping to see a cooking movie (per the title). But what this is is a con movie. The twist is that the mark (the diplomats) are actually very sympathetic (ok, verging on stereotypical ardent do-gooders) and the cons are also fairly sympathetic (doing what they do to get by).

So, like a con movie, the comedy value is played up. The romance scenes are Bollywood cheesy and are good for a laugh (or several). And of course the straight woman says what it is.

Clearly, they principles are not anyone's role model. Stella is corrupting and manipulative. Tannu starts off as an innocent, but her moral code is purely the result of family upbringing, and is easily subverted once she believes that her family has released her from those childish ways. (Thinking back on it, it would not be a stretch for that release to be contrived as part of the con). And generally, the cons feel entitled to all they can get off the naive, rich foreigners who are in their country.

The marks are cast as naive (like all marks) although you get the sense that they know what they are in for, and have accepted it as a cost of business.

Purely entertaining. Nothing deeper was intended. And fits is purpose well.
April 16, 2010
An interesting story with great characters that are wonderfully flawed. The last scenes look like they were shot in Agra. Can hardly wait to see how Taj with Sir Ben Kingsley & Aishwarya Rai turns out!
April 10, 2010
Would definitely not recommend this movie to friends. Actors and plot were uninteresting. Setting in India was pretty cool, I would say that is the only strong point about this movie.
April 2, 2010
For a first full feature movie I think it's pretty good! I felt the characters were well a little one dimensional but perhaps that was a tool of the author to show good vs evil. Stella did a fantastic job of showing her two faced role. A good thinking movie!
March 30, 2010
An extreme let down (good thing i didn't pay for this movie :S!) Makes servants out to be conniving, money thirsty, annoying people and Canadian diplomats to be way too nice and kind of naive and stupid. So unrealistic...
½ March 29, 2010
Really disappointing- poor acting on the part of Lisa Ray, and Don McKellar. Plot all over the place and how does duping the governemnt and taxpayers out of money become funny?
March 26, 2010
Well done, decoration and cinematography, it makes you feel like eating indian food... however too many stereotypes: Catholic Indians are portrayed as sly, and Canadians as naive
½ March 22, 2010
What a terrible let down this movie is. The trailer does not reflect what the movie is about at all. The movie tries to be funny but ends up being juvenile as the writer and director show a complete lack of understanding of the human psyche. Except for heist movies where you except evil genius to succeed, all movies, that are based on (almost) true stories depict the triumph of good over evil, but not this one. You leave the movie with a disgusting feeling in your stomach as you watch how a scheming servant not only takes advantage of her absolutely adorable and kind boss but manages to convince even the most innocent amongst to take part in her conniving charade; in the real world the good people in India and all around the world would rather starve to death then turn to a life of crime - it's not like a gun was being held to their head, which would have been a different matter.

The writer and director have no sense of good karma vs. bad karma and think they were attempting to make a funny movie which they have miserably failed. They had such great actors to work with, and such great material to start with and managed to completely screw up the movie.

Not worth spending a dime on such trite.
March 21, 2010
This movie upset me in ways that are actually difficult to put into words. It starts with an interesting set-up, a Canadian chef arrives in New Delhi to be a stay-at-home Dad while his diplomat wife begins a new job at the Canadian High Commission. A culture clash ensues when the chef tries to convince their local cook, Stella, to be his teacher in the ways of Southern Indian food. But the second half of the movie goes awry, narratively and morally. It is drenched in such awful cynicism that I was left feeling like I needed to take a shower. I'm no expert on these issues, but I understand corruption is a genuinely problematic issue in the developing world, so I can't see how we're meant to feel sympathy for the emotionally manipulative thieves depicted here.