The Cookout - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cookout Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
Though Latifah's small part is highly amusing, the rest of the film is not.
½ July 14, 2014
Lame jokes and coonery abounds.
June 6, 2013
There are good movies and there are bad movies; and then there are really really bad movies. Of course I love good movies like everybody else. I also love really really bad movies such Plan 9 from Outer Space and Waterworld, which I find very entertaining - but for reasons having nothing to do with the producers' intentions, which is entertaining in itself. As far as The Cookout goes, my first impression as I began watching it was that it's just bad... ok a bunch of rich people who knew nothing about making movies got together to waste a bunch of money trying to make a movie. But here I am still watching it. So I guess I'm having a hard time deciding - Is it just another boring failure? - Or is it truly so bad that the spectacle of its awesome, multi-faceted badness is so immense and amazing that it completely blows your mind!? I'm not sure. Guess I'm going to watch it again and then I'll let you know.
July 23, 2012
I really wanted this movie to be good, but ya it's not.
June 24, 2012
saw it school last year, it wuz ok
½ March 18, 2012
This movie was stupid, retarded, ghetto, nonsense, and a waste of time.
½ February 29, 2012
Don't ask me why I ever watched this movie. Throw the Cookout out.
½ December 14, 2011
"C'mon everyone, let's head to the cookout!" Though this is what movie producers hoped fans would do, you should definitely not run to see this film. Though the movie has its moments, these moments are brief and crammed between long periods of pointless dribble. The worst part of the movie is the message it sends. The entire movie is one giant cliche with tired and used jokes that only perpetuate racial stereotypes. For example, the main character, Todd Anderson (Quran Pender), is a college basketball phenom who becomes the first pick in the NBA draft. Afterwards he goes on a ridiculous spending spree, purchasing an enormous house, a brand new Hummer, and plenty of bling for his gold-digging fiance played by Meagan Good. And what else would a newly-rich African American do but have a cookout with all his relatives, including his redneck cousins, conspiracy theorist and lawyer wanabe uncle, and his obese, pot smoking nephews. Even his neighbors, played by Farrah Fawcett and Danny Glover, add to the stereotypes with their reaction to Todd moving into the neighborhood. At times, this film is just plain embarrassing to watch. Queen Latifah, who provides most of the humor as the psychotic rent-a-cop with delusions of grandeur, is the only reason the movie is even at all bearable. If ever you wondered why we still stereotype in the 21st century, look no further than this film. This movie is the decrepit man's version of "Barbershop".
½ October 11, 2011
should change it's name to new money with a cookout at the end.
August 29, 2011
Really stupid, pointless comedy. I didn't laugh once. Not worth it.
July 5, 2011
Sooooooooooo fking baaaadddddd
June 12, 2011
Yeah, I got this movie, thank you very much.
October 14, 2010
You'll laugh, and then you'll lose interest and wonder what else you could be doing with your time.
½ September 1, 2010
should change it's name to new money with a cookout at the end.
½ August 16, 2010
The laughs were few and far between, and Queen Latifah's character was nearly unbearable.
June 13, 2010
the only reason I gave this a 20% rater than a 10 or a 0 is because the star basketball player was supposed to be a Rutgers graduate =/
February 27, 2010
pretty bad.. other than Danny Glover. I was trying to figure out where his career went down the tubes..
January 23, 2010
The laughs were lukewarm
November 12, 2009
This wasn't one of the best but it was alright and had a few funny parts in it
September 29, 2009
would like to see it, looks like my type of movie.