The Cooler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cooler Reviews

August 19, 2016
The Cooler is a indie film like no other
June 8, 2016
The story is good but very slow-moving. William H. Macy, Alec Baldwin, and Maria Bello are all pretty good.
½ August 10, 2015
In The Cooler, some of humanity's darkest desires crassly masquerade as glamorous pursuits before roughly wrapping themselves around the throats of tender targets--in particular, two star-crossed lovers who seem to have little in common besides their inconspicuous roles unwittingly serving a seemingly unstoppable, soul-crushing machine fueled by greed and power. On its surface, The Cooler is a movie about the perils of gambling and ill-gotten gains. It's a stark portrayal of inevitable loss, spiritual bankruptcy, and human frailty. Beneath the smoky veneer and besotted ambience, however, is a poignantly indelible message for those who are patient and willing to believe the improbable is sometimes more than simply possible.
March 23, 2015
William H. Macy does no wrong and he is great in this as always but the stand out performances come from Maria Bello and Alec Baldwin.
½ March 15, 2015
3/15/2015: An ok movie with a great cast.
August 9, 2014
What a bore. Alec Baldwin's mob guy is correct about 100% of the time in this shit-fest.
May 17, 2014
Not A Bad Quirky Romance. It's Nice To See The Loser Win A Little.
March 22, 2014
While the film is well cast, it is tough to elevate a basic structural story. There are some nice directorial moments throughout but nothing makes this film stand out.
October 20, 2013
It was very enjoyable to see this absolute loser of a guy who's life gets worse and worse the more and more happier he gets. I really enjoyed this. Alec Baldwin plays a brute of a character and William H. Macy's is easy to get along with.
September 10, 2013
.This movie was kinda boring and not interesting at all. I would have given it no stars if it were'nt for Alec Baldwin. He was funny at times and William H Macy was decent. It did kind of get interesting there toward the end but to little to late. I suggest if you are bored and do'nt really have anything else to do than you can watch it. Good luck.
September 8, 2013
Another movie in which William H. Macy plays the schmuck to perfection. Entertaining and unpretentious. Good supporting actors.
August 17, 2013
This might just be the best thing (film-wise) Alec Baldwin has ever done.
½ July 8, 2013
pretty solid drama. didnt change my life. worth seeing. moments of being terrific and other moments of dull character interaction.
½ June 14, 2013
Not worth your time.
May 28, 2013
The actors' performances saved the movie for me to be completely honest.
½ April 22, 2013
William H. Macy is almost always fascinating to watch and Mario Bello smoulders.
March 16, 2013
The loveable loser comes good in this interesting take on the Las Vegas casino stories.
February 5, 2013
Good movie with some excellent acting on the parts of Alec Baldwin, and William H. Macy. Probably a little too "stereotypical Vegas mob rules" for it's own good, but I never felt I was wasting my time watching it.
January 26, 2013
Great realistic film with 3 terrific leads carrying it home. Not often happy times but it's that un-Hollywood style that gives it's edge. Baldwin's aces here.
January 19, 2013
The film's bland screenplay and dead moments are only partially compensated by the powerful performances of the great cast.