The Cooler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cooler Reviews

½ January 9, 2013
You're not sending ME to the cooler!!
January 8, 2013
nice story , really good movie
½ January 5, 2013
Made me terrified that that Alec Baldwin would leap out of the screen and yell at me. Old Vegas kicks new Vegas's ass.
December 27, 2012
I love Maria Bello. This movie gets better and better as it progresses.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
November 28, 2012
Loved this film. William H. Macy is simply fantastic as the title character. Alec Baldwin delivers perhaps his best role of his career as the brutal casino manager Shelly Kaplow who rules his aging casino with an iron fist and any way he has to.
Maria Bello also delivers a very memorable & powerful performance as Macy's love interest and commands the screen every time she appears on it.

This is not going to be a film everyone likes but it is one of those films that I just loved despite itself.
November 10, 2012
Nice story yet something is amiss - the movie lacks soul. Remarkable performance though by Macy and Baldwin.
November 9, 2012
Excellent perfomances...love character driven movies.
½ October 12, 2012
When you break it down, this is a pretty typical love-story with a ludicrous premise. But it's so well acted that you hardly notice.
September 15, 2012
I LOVE this movie, watch it. Pretty please?

"You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see? Don't believe it. Look in my eyes. I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need. You look in my eyes."-Bernie Lootz "The Cooler"
½ September 15, 2012
When a movie's premise requires a suspension of reality, it must construct a believable world where an alternate reality works. In The Cooler, several unrealistic premises are submitted, among them that it's possible for a person to be the embodiment of bad luck and that it can be passed on to others merely by being in their presence, and that if he should lose that power, suddenly everyone in a casino will start winning bucketsful of money. This movie fails to create that suspension, perhaps because it's intermingled with all-too-real scenes of cruelty and violence which shocks us back to the way the world really works.
The acting is solid and entertaining, and production values are high, but the schism between reality and fantasy sinks this one.
September 12, 2012
I liked this movie a lot. Solid performances all around, particularly from Alec Baldwin. The actual premise is pretty unrealistic: William H. Macy plays a man who goes around from table to table in a Vegas casino so he can bring bad luck down on a player who's winning too much. Things get really interesting when his son comes into the mix and asks him for money so he can support his pregnant wife. Things get out of control when Baldwin and his son collide in a shocking, jaw dropping, and incredibly well done scene. Character development is noticeably present, as Macy's luck changes when he falls in love with a waitress at the casino (maria Bello). Her acting is fantastic as well. If it weren't for these great performances, The Cooler would have been dragged down, but luckily the acting fleshes out the plot. With excellent performances and an awesome original score, The Cooler works quite well. Final score: 8.5.
September 7, 2012
Good movie , and a happy ending!!
August 26, 2012
interesting drama/comedy
August 25, 2012
What an interesting pair William H Macy and Maria Bello make in this rather off beat story about Lady Luck, or in this case, the lack of it. Alec Baldwin is superbly menacing in his role as casino boss and Bernie's (Macy) comment about living in the gambling world of Las Vegas with no "day or night" certainly describes the movie's atmosphere.
August 7, 2012
I love Maria Bello. This movie gets better and better as it progresses.
July 24, 2012
Excellent performances and a fine script make this very worthwhile. Alec Baldwin stands out in a stand-out group of performances. Enjoy.
July 12, 2012
A new personal favorite. Baldwin is great and Macy delivers. I feel like this is a prime example of you get what you put out in this world, which I believe that is the power you have.
May 25, 2012
I've known about this movie for some time. Only after watching the newer, Spanish Intacto did I become interested. Intacto is a borderline brilliant movie about luck. The Cooler is, eh, a not so brilliant movie about luck. Not a total loss, but I think the writers had to projects in mind when writing this and never fully decided what they were going to do: the gangster movie, or something of a lighter, romantic variety.

Macy plays The Cooler at The Shangri-La Casino in Vegas. What is a cooler? Someone who can steal your luck with his mere presence and/or touch. That's not so much the point of the movie, and that idea plays a far larger role in Intacto. In this, the bigger story is the conflict as Macy falls in love with Bello's character, and they have to find away to basically use luck to escape the owner of the casino.

Seems like a cute enough, original enough story. But there was too much gangster stuff to be taken lightly. For crying out loud, watch the kick in the belly scene and tell me that's light. Second, the romance is not overly compelling. Finally, it's as if maybe they're getting long on time so just decide to throw in a screwy ending. Yeah, yeah, the ending had every thing to do with luck and is therefore a perfect ending to a movie about luck. You still can't make it completely unbelievable.
May 21, 2012
A new side of gambling I didn't know about.