Cop & 1/2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cop & 1/2 Reviews

½ March 16, 2017
The "buddy cop" comedies, one of the most overused formulas in modern cinema consisting of an independent non-cooperative cop being forced to partner up and by the end of the film the cop learns the power of teamwork! Now take the cop and pair him up with an elementary school kid and you get one of the most preposterous, unfunny, train wrecks of a movie you will ever see in your entire life called "Cop & 1/2."
The plot consists of an 8-year-old boy named Devon Butler (Norman D.Golden II) who dreams of becoming a cop and finally sees his chance to become one after witnessing a murder, and only willing to hand over the information if they make him a cop! And believe it or not, his outrageous demands are granted, as Butler is teamed up with veteran cop Nick McKenna (Burt Reynolds) who of course is rightfully upset with being given an 8-year-old as his partner. Now does any of this seem plausible?
The problem with this set-up is that the movie takes place in a real world scenario, which means even though it's a fictional comedy it still has to abide by the rules of the real world. Now with that said we have a police department who allows a kid bribe them into putting him on the force with a grown man he has never met as his partner and is allowed to be put in danger just so the police department can get a statement, and apparently his grandmother (his main guardian) sees no problem with this, in fact, she even allows him to stay over at his adult partners house! And even Reynolds character is ok with it! Never in any genre, setting, etc would this ever be allowed to happen! First of all his grandma would be in trouble with child protective services, the police department would be under investigation, and Reynolds would be accused of being a child molester!
That's only the problems I had with the plot! I haven't yet mentioned the complete lack of comedy in this film which is probably because the only gag the screenwriters came up with was to have a cop paired up with a school boy. That's right another film revolving around a single gag kind of like Mr. Magoo but without even the slightest bit of humor. The acting is cheesy; the characters are forgettable and unrealistic, and the production value resembles that of a shitty low budget 90's sitcom. But because it's so ridiculous and also because I'm extremely generous, I will give it 1.5/5 stars for its sheer audacity.
½ October 14, 2016
Cop and a Half's incompetent characters and ridiculous premise only somewhat amuse me.
½ August 11, 2016
Kid who is fascinated by police officers gets his chance when he witnesses a crime and partners with grumpy detective Burt Reynolds.
½ June 28, 2016
Reynolds' stars as disgruntled cop whose new partner is a young kid who dreams of being a cop. It's silly, predictable fun.
December 20, 2015
I have seen many movies about cops and many movies about children, and this movie knows nothing about either subject.
½ August 10, 2015
Somewhat a guilty pleasure.
½ July 16, 2015
For what this movie is, it's perfectly fine. It was cute and funny and I liked it. It's nowhere near as bad as the RT percent suggests (17%), or the imdb rating (3.8). It's a kids movie that I enjoyed.
½ April 8, 2015
Burt Reynolds old fart is really the only thing worth seeing here.
½ March 29, 2015
An affront to humanity.
January 25, 2015
For kids.. it is a 5 star movie!. :v
December 11, 2014
A terrible and seriously misguided family comedy that can be summed up in one scene: Burt Reynolds whips his dick out to piss in front of a young boy in his bathroom.
September 28, 2014
if they thought that this would be a good kids comedy or at least a comedy they were dead wrong!!
September 14, 2014
Eight year old pairs with hardened cop for ridealong to learn valuable police tactics as assaulting suspects and destroying private property. Mildly amusing at times, favourite scenes include youngster ticketing his school principal for speeding and commandeering a skateboard to pursue a suspect. Gene Siskel called this the worst film of 1993 but it's not that bad.
½ August 4, 2014
(First viewing - Childhood)
½ April 5, 2014
Though it won't please most adults and will more for kids, Cop And A Half delivers some laughs for Burt Reynolds fans and his charming chemistry with pint-size Norman D. Golden II.
November 17, 2013
An extreme shortage of laughs and an embarrassing lack of effort from just about everyone involved make this a forgettable family failure.
½ August 4, 2013
This was your typical 90's kid cop show. Some parts are so cheesy you want to puke, others make you smirk.
And the whole thing is drenched in a lack of realism. The part where they are singing together was smirk worthy but the leads inability to remember which arm was injured distracted me.
I don't need my time back but I wouldn't invest more than once.
July 2, 2013
Our family enjoyed it, simple and charming.
June 24, 2013
cute movies funny for the kids
May 14, 2013
Cop and a Half is one of those heartwarming, cute family comedies that ends up as a train-wreck. Burt Reynolds isn't too bad, but little Webster here is far from stardom. But anyway, let's get to review this stinker.
The film follows a young kid named Devon who is practically obsessed with being a cop. So much that the kid watches Miami Vice every night. He witnesses a ridiculously stereotypical mob gang (led by a singing bimbo and his two bumbling cohorts, this has GOT to be old by now) and alerts the police, led by the gruff and tough Nick McKenna. Devon refuses to tell any information unless he goes around with Nick and be his cop partner of some sort. For the next hour, you'll see Webster pretend to be a cop, with moms and grandmas laughing at how cute Macaulay, Jr is! Anyway, the kid is being targeted by the mob after they learn he was a witness. To be protected, Devon bothers Nick even more by staying at his apartment. This phase really shows how desperate Reynolds was. And the whole movie does- shall I even go on?
I mean, really. This thing was directed by Henry Winkler, so you know that Henry Winkler being Henry Winkler, this will be a light hearted family film. And usually family films in the 90s with cute kids usually turn out crappy. It feels like a kid wrote it and it's targeted for kids who want to be cops. I mean, really, you know it's not gonna be great when Devon has the "K9" poster in his room. Yeah, that Jim Belushi movie that proved a dog is a better actor than Belushi. The film's chemistry doesn't go well, and it also feels too short and obvious.