Cop Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cop Land Reviews

September 21, 2015
Despite a bland story-line, the cast turns makes it worth watching. Stallone really impresses outside of his usual tough guy role. The pace is decent and there is some suspense.

The talent in this film is ridiculous, it's the who's who of gangster/cop dramas. The story isn't anything new.
August 27, 2015
This is a pretty good cop drama and shows the corruption inside the NYPD in many different ways. Freddy Heflin (Sylvester Stallone) is the exception as he wants an old case reopened but in the process makes many enemies trying to get what he wants. This is a very character driven piece and shows Freddy's struggles first hand. Great cast overall which allows the good writing and directing really take hold of the screen
July 29, 2015
A mountain of wasted talent. A mishmash of 90's tropes that never really works.
½ July 16, 2015
I really enjoyed this on repeat viewing. Apparently this was written and directed by Mangold which for me is pretty impressive as it feels like the story has been taken from the sort of novel I would happily engross myself in. The performances are across the board really, really good. Stallone is somewhat of a revelation here.
July 13, 2015
This movie has everything! Coke-head cops, Jersey T-1000, mustached De Niro, Simple Sly! Loses a star for not being over the top ridiculous violence.
½ July 13, 2015
Although a little predictable this is an interesting watch for a talented cast of established and (at the time) up and coming actors. Many of the established names playing taking on roles against type. Much of the cast made their way into the Soprano's not long after.
May 19, 2015
Stallone at his finest and in a great movie.
½ May 6, 2015
Who could have figured Sly would upstage De Niro but he does here and the movies better for it.
½ April 12, 2015
Not the typical Stallone film but he is still very effective. great casting with Ray Liotta, Harvey Keitel, Robert Patrick, Robert De Niro, Michael Rapaport, and Noah Emmerich also doing a great job.
½ March 20, 2015
One of Sylvester Stallone's better cinematic moments. He plays n underdog here which suits him.
March 19, 2015
Stallone...the 90s, you can't go too wrong. Nice to see Liotta play the role of a good guy for a change.
½ January 28, 2015
Grade:High 7/10

Copland is a slowly paced story that although may lack the massive
thrills some other films promise, you still get a smartly written story
intertwined with some vicious characters and a small town Cop that just
want's some justice and respect in his community.

The story as I say is smartly done and can be very much enjoyed(I mean
that in the way that it is interesting more than fun). Stallone's
character seems composed and I felt he knew what he was doing even when
the cards are against him it seemed, but yes all round the story is
good and I think this film is underrated as I have seen some say it is
just Stallone walking around a lot, it it much more than that.

The Director James Mangold well to say this his first punt at directing
it goes down very well and expectant things were thought of him, now
whether not he ever did do better it doesn't matter because this film
is a solid kind of good film. I particularly liked the script as
without it the film would have crashed, thoroughly written well and
seemed to match each character perfectly which I guess goes to who ever
cast such actors.

Stallone and Keitel are the stars in truth of this and they perform
well throughout the entire film, now with Keitel it is maybe known for
him to do such things but Stallone is playing in a slightly subdued
role from some of his others and we really see the range of which he
can act and that he doesn't require violence in every film he's in. A
mention to one of the best that is Robert De Niro who plays his
character with mystery and intrigue who knows something is wrong before
we seem to know.

It is not without it's criticisms as it can seem to lack revelations,
you know what the deal of the film is and who is bad and good within
the first quarter of the film, but we don't get shocks and I felt there
was space for such things. I also will say that although it is
thrilling, the thrill side is more Drama than action and well I say
this to anyone who wants' to see it, don't expect loads of action from
this.

The most memorable thing about this film to be fair is Stallone's
performance in a light role but also I thought a lot about the mystery
surrounding it not finding out who is bad but the mystery of saying to
yourself "how will it all end", you won't predict it all because just
as you think the film is ending it throws a curveball and put's you off
course, just watch it and you will definitely see what I mean by that.

So overall a good film and moving upwards towards being very good
rather than falling to being just pretty good, I recommended this for
any person who enjoys a good police drama with just a little action
dabbled in. People expect too much of Stallone action wise well don't I
mean as I say he is subdued and is basically in invisible chains in
this from breaking free and killing Keitel's character right where he
stood.

I give this a high 7/10, that overall give's it a Solidly Good film rating and
moving towards being very good indeed as well, I suggest renting it or
whatever you can do to see this, but have a look and see and I feel you
will enjoy it, well maybe.
January 5, 2015
One of James Mangold's earlier films, Cop Land displays a highly watchable raggedness (call it kitchen-sink realism, or call it spotty) that seems rather realistic but incorporates every "bad cop" movie cliche you can think of; tells a compelling story but paces it strangely; often over-explains but sometimes leaves you filling in blanks yourself, too; stands the test of time but still looks SO 90s; shows a plausible slice of life in which you root for the little guy, but anchors it to a lead character (Stallone) almost implausibly inert, rendering him hard to truly get behind. The camera work is bad, and the dialogue is by times worse, but there's a feeling to this movie that can't be discounted--a pain in Stallone's character that somehow shines through. It's not a great movie, but it's not awful either. Interesting early work from the director of Walk the Line and Girl, Interrupted--but also of Knight and Day--and one that I liked just a little bit more than I disliked.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Stallone plays great in this one and many other great actors makes this movie to the top.
October 29, 2014
(72%) One of Stallone's best performances featured in this star-studded
modern-day classic police movie. Sly gives a great subtle performance
playing a heavily stepped on and taken for granted sheriff, and as he's
alongside a great solid cast this makes what could have been a quite
generic and forgettable movie into something that will quite honestly
stand the test of time. Despite this being very much a cop movie in all
actuality it has more in common with a well crafted western, with
different shades of grey surrounding each character, and with its plot
based on redemption and people doing the right thing when it is needed
most. A must watch for crime movie fans.
October 3, 2014
Though its not the "Pulp Fiction" masterpiece that it was written and intended to be, 'Cop Land" deserves to be seen for Ray Liotta, Harvey Keitel and Sylvester Stallone's performances alone, and has proven more and more relevant as time goes on.
September 30, 2014
Much underrated cop drama led (and I do mean led) by Stallone himself. Even in the company of screen heavy weights De Niro, Liotta and Keitel. Packing an extra 40 pounds the Italian Stallion very much holds his own and for a brief moment reminds us he can an actor rather than the action hero.
September 29, 2014
Though it falls into many cop film cliches, Cop Land is a pleasant surprise for a crime thriller. Shot very well and a well rounded cast help Cop Land rise above the rest.