Corman's World: Exploits Of A Hollywood Rebel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Corman's World: Exploits Of A Hollywood Rebel Reviews

½ December 14, 2016
Roger Corman is one of my favorite people in the film industry period. This isn't necessarily a perfectly made documentary on him, but it makes its points well and is a good overview of his career. It's basically impossible not to like/respect him after seeing it.
½ February 2, 2016
A really fascinating look at one of the unsung heroes of early independent filmmaking. Though his movies were often explicit, bawdy, exploitative, and vulgar, Roger Corman's keen business sense and eye for talent made him a surprisingly influential force in Hollywood.

Taking the audience through highlights of his career, countless notable filmmakers and actors share their recollections and appreciations for this documentary's subject. Having discovered/nurtured the talents of the likes of Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Peter Bogdanovich, and Peter Fonda, to name a few, Roger Corman's life proves an interesting tale with no shortage of humorous moments and behind the scenes, film history.

While this documentary could use a bit more focus -- often feeling random, and allowing its (admittedly) illustrious talking heads to veer off on tangents -- one can't help but marvel as these celebrities share their affections for the aging producer (he's still hard at work making movies today). Most, after all, feel they owe their careers to him. Indeed, such constant, glowing sentiments make this film seem less like a documentary and more like some extended, Hollywood awards show tribute. I don't mind this so much, however, because it's all clearly done in earnest. One moment where Jack Nicholson is all but brought to tears when describing his old friend and mentor says all one needs to say about the kind of man Corman is. It humanizes the two of them. It humanizes Hollywood. I liked it.
June 23, 2015
Solid doc about Roger Corman. I'm not sure if I've seen any of his movies, but I've at least been aware of his role in Hollywood, especially in mentoring a good chunk of the directorial talent of the last 40 plus years. Seeing Jack Nicholson get choked up about Corman was the highlight of the film.
April 6, 2015
A love letter to the B-Movie Guru.
January 21, 2015
This is a movie for people interested in making movies or want to be involved in movies should watch. You could learn a thing or two about this legend.
November 26, 2014
A nice retrospective, mostly of the first half of Corman's career.
½ November 13, 2014
Even if you've never heard of Roger Corman, you've heard of his films; Attack of the Crab Monsters, Littler Shop of Horrors, Sharktopus. You may not have seen them, but you've felt his influence. A monumentally influential director who helped found the careers of countless others (Ron Howard, James Cameron, etc.) yet never elevated above his own schlock, Corman's story is worth hearing even if you've never heard his name. Corman's World is a funny, informative, and at times touching tribute to one of the greats of Hollywood who never got the recognition he deserved. His films may be Z-grade, but the man himself is monumental. The sheer number of A-grade Hollywood personalities on display in this film is proof in the pudding. It was inspiring seeing them talk about the man who helped found their careers, and it was charming to see that behind the schlock is an educated and warm hearted man. A worthy look for anyone who loves film.
October 24, 2014
Great documentary about the life and career of the King of B-Movies, Roger Corman...a man who was a Hollywood rebel that made schlock films, then some great films, and then some more schlock...all the while helping to launch the careers of several of the most important filmmakers of the new Hollywood movement. His impact on cinema is pretty great, and it is far too often overlooked, but here is a film to inform all of those who don't know about Corman of his importance on cinema. The fact that Jack Nicholson is moved to tears just thinking about Corman's impact on his life pretty much says it all.
September 24, 2014
An interesting documentary about filmmaker Roger Corman and his work in the independent film world. A fascinating story to say the least, this film only focuses on the positives, which eventually leads to a repetitive and boring final act.
½ July 27, 2014
Sometimes it's hard to tell whether this documentary is trying to make us watch or disregard Corman's eccentric work.
½ March 5, 2014
A superb documentary on a genuinely unique film-maker. Along with Woody Allen: A Documentary this is the best film I've seen about a one director. In truth this is probably better than any one film that Corman has made but he is about more than any one film. His body of work is extremely varied (in terms of genre, style and quality) and this film reflects the offbeat genius of his best work and the unashamed dreadfulness of his worst. The film clips sum up what is both good and bad about Corman's work, but it is clear that even his lesser works amount to something within the context of his filmography. The interviews with Corman himself portray a quiet and measured man. Not the character that you might associate with 'guerrilla film-making'. It is the interviews with friends and collaborators that ultimately make Corman's World an insightful and touching documentary. Martin Scorsese sounds like little more than a fan, his enthusiasm is infectious. Jack Nicholson's prickly cynicism in the early segments slowed cedes to full on admiration and actually culminates in a show of emotion that, like a great reveal, caught me so off guard that I nearly wept. Corman's World finished leaving me with a greater admiration for the man and his work.
½ February 22, 2014
Kind of a primer on Corman, rather than something that delves deep. But maybe I'm biased because I already knew a lot of this stuff already. Worth watching, but don't expect much i guess.
February 2, 2014
One of my favorite movie
TheDudeLebowski65
October 25, 2013
Roger Corman is the king of low budget cinema. He is responsible for exposing film fans to many of the industry's most legendary names such as Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson and Ron Howard. This is a must see documentary for cinema fans, even if you're not a fan of Corman's, just give it a shot because I think he's one of the most important figure in cinema. The film features great interview with the actors that have worked with him, directors that he's helped across the way and other directors that have been influenced by Corman's work. This is a well crafted documentary that is among the finest that I've seen in quite some time. The film takes a look at his cinematic legacy and his unique style in entertaining audiences. His films are a wonderful and his knack to entertain viewers is something special. As a fan of his work, I really enjoyed the film, and I think anyone that is interested in a forgotten part of film history might so too. The film is very entertaining and insightful and will definitely enjoy this documentary. If you enjoy documentaries, this is one worth seeing. The subject is very interesting, and is one that deserves more exposure. Over the course of his career, Roger Corman has made over 400 films ranging from a variety of genres. He is able to thrill audiences looking for something ridiculous and fun, with barely any budgets for his pictures. He is one of the few in the industry that understands that you can pull off something really good with some basic ideas. He also exposed us and launched the careers of some film legends, if you really want to watch a well made documentary about a great film icon, then this is for you.
½ October 4, 2013
An insightful documentary on one of the greatest unsung heroes of Hollywood... Roger Corman, and although not all his films are up to scratch he is definitely an icon of cinema.

This film covers his incredible ability to make films with next to nothing & be able to pull it off so outside of the Hollywood studio structure.

He incredibly made over 200 films & he is very interesting man very different in persona to watch he produced.
½ September 15, 2013
Para todos aquellos que no sepan nada sobre Roger Corman, el rey de las peliculas de bajo presupuesto que lanzo las carreras de Martin Scorsese, John Bogdanovich, Ron Howard, Robert DeNiro y Jack Nicholson, entre otros, este es un documental mas que apropiado. Para quienes lo conocemos a fondo, no hay nada nuevo o revelador, pero "Corman's World" logra enmarcar al genio que nos trajo energia, valor y emocion al mundo del cine, a un precio muy economico.
½ April 10, 2013
Corman was the producer of the original Piranha, writer of the original The Fast and The Furious. "Great clips and interviews with, among others including Jack Nicholson, [Scorsese,] Robert De Niro and William Shatner." "A supremely watchable documentary-tribute to the exploitation king..."
½ February 24, 2013
Conocer a Roger Corman es totalmente imprescindible para cualquier aficionado al cine y aqui podremos verle en todo su esplendor.
February 16, 2013
Jack Nicholson cries in this movie.