The Corpse Grinders (The Flesh Grinders) Reviews

• Feb 06, 2020

Horrible, terrible, embarrassing 🤪

Horrible, terrible, embarrassing 🤪

• Mar 04, 2018

Producer/director Ted V. Mikels always had a knack for exploitation film titles that grab your attention (i.e. "The Black Klansman," "Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things" or "Blood Orgy of the She-Devils"), but his films rarely delivered what the posters or titles promised. "The Corpse Grinders" is no exception. The story here involves struggling cat food company that finds itself in financial trouble, so where do the factory owners turn for a cheap source of meat? The local graveyard, of course! However, the local kitties start to develop a taste for human flesh, which leads to a number of feline-on-human attacks, featuring plenty of scratching, biting, and screaming. This plot would have worked if it was more tongue-in-cheek (I can easily have seen Paul Bartel taking making this story into a witty black comedy), but in the lesser hands of Mikels, this film comes off as just cheap and poorly made. FUN FACT! Ted V. Mikels is still making films today, with "The Corpse Grinders 3" having just come out a few years ago and a reboot by Mikels is currently in the works.

• Jun 18, 2016

The kind of movie that used to be shown on your local cable access channel's Fright Night. Strictly PG rated thrills produced with enough schlock that a group of film buffs can get together and have a good time making fun of it.

• Jul 03, 2015

It has the odd inventive moment, but on the whole this B movie from the early 70s is best left mouldering in the basement of horror!

• Mar 11, 2015

I like this terrible film only because I knew not to expect much out of the film's title and plot. It's a good bad movie with horrible acting, awkward pacing, and ridiculous story not unsimilar to The Undertaker And His Pals.

• Mar 13, 2014

Let's Start a Pet Food Racket...that's Where the Big Bucks Is--Attack of the Man-Eating Pussies!!

• Mar 10, 2014

Cheap thrills, goofy gore, and killer kitties, all the ingredients of a cheese ball classic. The cheap look really makes the film. If you enjoyed Manos, Hands of Fate or Blood Feast you really owe it to yourself to see this.

• May 22, 2013

• Nov 22, 2011

For people who grew up in the drive-in culture of the 1970's and early 1980's as I did, "The Corpse Grinders" was something of a perennial favorite for all the fans of movies just like this. It bloomed every spring and then disappeared when the weather got colder just like flowers because the film lived in the day before home video. But even on the improved DVD format, the movie retains its cheap and tacky look because for a film that's as no-budget as this one, the word "restoration" has no meaning. I'm not saying that the film isn't without a lot of low-budget charm, but it simply cannot live up to its reputation. Back in the day, this was promoted as the ultimate taboo film, but by today's standards, it's pretty tame. But where the movie does earn its stripes is with its outlandish plot, ridiculous dialogue and laughably bad performances. I can't quite recommend it, but it sure is entertaining. The cast is filled with rejects from other better films, and the laughs are plentiful. You have to wonder what happens to the victim's clothes when they are sent through the grinder fully dressed, or where the pet food owners found such and odd assortment of employees such as the one-legged deaf girl or the janitor who makes Ernest look handsome. Much of the dialogue feels improvised on the spot, and while the feline attack scenes are the film's only real source of gore they are embarrassing and horribly staged. Over the years, "The Corpse Grinders" has gotten a lot of mileage from its shocking reputation, but all of the hype comes to an end about a half hour into this ridiculous flick. It is clearly from another time and place.

• Oct 13, 2011