The Corpse Vanishes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Corpse Vanishes Reviews

October 23, 2016
Weak horror film has Bela Lugosi as a mad scientist who takes the blood of virgin brides to give his own wife eternal youth. I did like the set up for this film and it does feature one of the dwarves from Tod Browning's "Freaks" but overall this film is cheaply made, badly acted, and hardly worth watching unless your a Lugosi fan (which I am).
½ April 18, 2016
Its' b-movie production doesn't help the movie given its an unengaging horror story. There's certainly promise with the plot, but it could have been done a lot better.
January 2, 2016
Disappointing chiller where Lugosi and a team of cronies kill young ladies so they can take their blood and give to Lugosi wife in order to keep her young.
½ November 28, 2015
The Corpse Vanishes¬†has the honour of being one of many poverty row B-Movie productions that Lugosi was relegated to star in by the mid 40‚(TM)s. It is however a good deal more adept than most of the other lamentable flicks the ailing actor worked on before disappearing into Ed Wood-produced purgatory.¬†
½ March 30, 2015
Bela Lugosi never disappoints. Inspired by the Elizabeth BŠthory murders, Lugosi plays a mad scientist who injects virginal blood to his wife to keep her beautiful forever. The film pay reference to vampires for no reason which was a let down. The acting was quite wooden but it was fun to watch. Not his best work but it's watchable.
½ January 28, 2015
zippy B movie cheapie at least Bela got billing over the title!
½ January 4, 2015
Ce film d'horreur des annťes '40 se prend trop au sťrieux.
½ August 2, 2014
Pure 1940's chrezy, clichéd, overacted Horror B-movie
½ July 10, 2014
Mediocre at best. Feels like a rush job where scenes needed to be explained better.
October 23, 2013
I've seen worse, but a great atmosphere and a bunch of spooky characters can't make up for a pedestrian storyline. Lugosi does his best to snarl and sneer throughout.
½ October 4, 2013
Here is where it starts to come together for Monogram--Weird Story With Bizarre Characters!!
June 25, 2013
Calling all cars... Calling all cars... A mad scientist is on the loose! The synopsis on IMDb describes it pretty clearly: "A scientist [Lugosi], aided by an old hag and her two sons - a malicious dwarf and a brutish moron - kills virgin brides, steals their bodies, and extracts gland fluid to keep his ancient wife alive and young." The '60s horror film Corruption with Peter Cushing is kind of a remake of this idea. What this summary fails to mention is that Luana Walters is Pat Hunter, cub reporter assigned to the society column. Though she is constantly belittled by the men around her for being a woman, she is the only one who realizes the orchids found on each dead bride are important clues. Walters' line delivery is sometimes questionable, but she brings an energy that is lacking in all the other characters.
April 22, 2013
For those who find a good movie in The Corpse Vanishes, well, I wish I could see with your eyes. Just because it has Bela Lugosi in it doesn't mean that it's a good movie. He was in quite a few bad movies in his lifetime, all based around his appearance in the film (most famously in Ed Wood's work). This movie is absolutely plain and boring, from beginning to end. The plot itself is serviceable enough, but it's just so uninteresting that you'd rather be taking a nap than trying to stay awake through it. The dialogue reminded me of His Girl Friday at times, but that's not a compliment, per se. The film is also infamous for being featured on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Otherwise, it can be a completely boring movie.
½ August 8, 2012
Dull is the best word to describe this. It has its moments, I guess, but it's paced horribly and its attempts at humor are bizarre. Not enough Lugosi.
½ July 10, 2012
Slow and repetitive is all I can say to describe this movie. And the ending is like something that would have come out of a Three Stooges film.
April 3, 2012
March 21, 2012
Decent Bela Lugosi film with some interesting parts but overall still very boring with a uninteresting ending. It has some nice mystery elements to it but it's a slow ride.
October 7, 2011
Interesting, I suppose, but really poorly acted and shot. Bela Lugosi seems incredibly miscast, as I would have gone with someone more unassumingly rather than someone who always plays Dracula no matter the role he is given.
September 27, 2011
Another fun MST3K entry, but nothing I can imagine watching just for Bela himself, which is kinda sad in a way, as I really enjoy most of his work.

Worth a look for laughs.
September 22, 2011
Here's a recipe for a Monogram Pictures horror movie: take every horror cliche that existed at the time, throw it in a stew, cook for two minuets in the writing room, and add Bela Lugosi to taste.
Kind of fascinating in that they really didn't care if it made a lick of sense (And it doesn't). Too bad it's also really slow moving and talky, but that's a problem most poverty row movies of the 30s and 40s had.
Not the worst of it's kind and pretty decent for a sleepy afternoon movie.