Reviews

• Jan 10, 2021

Again another great story all about a man who is a retired surgeon, who needs to remove fluid from the body of virgins to keep his wife young. A news reporter tries to find out the truth about the girls who have been abducted and nearly ends up dead herself. The moving walls are fantastic, a great vintage horror

• Jun 06, 2020

Rather nasty piece of business featuring Bela Lugosi as a mad scientist (with yes, a Renfield-like assistant and his mother, a dwarf and yes, the scientistÂs wife (sounds like a Greenaway movie actually lol). Lugosi gives his wife injections from dead brides (why them? Who knows?) so that his wife can leep looking beautiful. He gets the brides after doing a pretty clever trick with some orchids that makes the brides collapse at the altar. After another bride bites the dust, a newspaper reporter just HAPPENS to be around for the scoop, and decides to snoop around for a story. She gets all sorts of clues about the orchids and Lugosi. Heaven knows where the police were. Soon sheÂs off to BelaÂs lair, when she meets a sort of strange looking doctor who may or may not be eeeevil. It all cumulates in a totally farfetched plan to have a fake wedding to capture the mad scientist, but it seems that the scientist has x-ray vision, as he foils her plans, Oh no! What will happen? I actually liked this movie as a bit of a guilty pleasure. Lugosi is great here, his hangers-on are all very very strange, the story is actually quite nasty in some places which makes it all most watchable. A fun little view.

• Feb 23, 2020

I totally dug it! Lugosi rocks as the evil scientist, and the cast of evil flunkies who help him kidnap women- a demented giant, a cynical dwarf, and an old Hag- are cinema classics! Top it off with a tough girl reporter on the case..and the sinister plot takes off.

• Oct 26, 2019

Love watching these old movies.

Love watching these old movies.

• Nov 20, 2017

One of my favorite Bela films. It's pure gold!

One of my favorite Bela films. It's pure gold!

• Jan 25, 2017

I like creaky old thrillers and the mysteriously magnetic Elizabeth Russell but this isn't very good, even by my standards.

• Oct 23, 2016

Weak horror film has Bela Lugosi as a mad scientist who takes the blood of virgin brides to give his own wife eternal youth. I did like the set up for this film and it does feature one of the dwarves from Tod Browning's "Freaks" but overall this film is cheaply made, badly acted, and hardly worth watching unless your a Lugosi fan (which I am).

• Apr 18, 2016

Its' b-movie production doesn't help the movie given its an unengaging horror story. There's certainly promise with the plot, but it could have been done a lot better.

• Jan 02, 2016

Disappointing chiller where Lugosi and a team of cronies kill young ladies so they can take their blood and give to Lugosi wife in order to keep her young.

• Nov 28, 2015

The Corpse Vanishes has the honour of being one of many poverty row B-Movie productions that Lugosi was relegated to star in by the mid 40â(TM)s. It is however a good deal more adept than most of the other lamentable flicks the ailing actor worked on before disappearing into Ed Wood-produced purgatory.