Corrina, Corrina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Corrina, Corrina Reviews

October 31, 2016
Corina Corina was not a typical box office driven film, but more like an art film with subtle, quiet scenes of despair and loneliness uncharacteristic of American cinema. Whoopie Goldberg as Corina, hired by a bereft father, Manny Singer (played by Ray Alioto) who has just lost his wife, is an unusual caretaker and maid. Black, educated and enlightened toward the needs of Manny's young daughter, Molly, (Tina Majorino) Goldberg plays this role almost effortlessly, as if it were made for her. She slowly introduces the young child to concepts of an afterlife, and quietly invades the father's shutdown state with her delicate, ad hoc approach to grief.

The slow pace and lack of peak moments might bother the average American viewer, but the slow, steady bonds that develop among the characters are laced with humor and sensitivity. In fact, this film succeeds wildly in its effort to depict the genuine connection here between employee and family. It surpasses the typical 'race' film by minimizing the social milieu and instead emphasizing the personalities of the characters, making this film a genuine classic.

Goldberg works out her relationship with sister and family with the same quiet fortitude she brings to her two grieving charges. Throughout the film each move she makes and each scene in which she brings life to the little girl, and to her sister's children, stand out as crystalline examples of the power of simply, homely love. Eventually she makes a decision on her own to keep the little girl out of school, causing a rift between her and Alioto; this too, after one inflamed passage between them of strain and alienation. is expressed quietly, and resolves in the last moments when the two at last must face the intensity and endurance of their relationship. An incredibly moving and authentic picture of life without the usual American film clichés.
December 3, 2015
A personal childhood classic that is a feel good must see - in my opinion !
November 18, 2015
"Corinna, Corinna" is a bit sappy at times but it's heartwarming and Whoopi Goldberg plays her part very well. Most of the performances in the film are actually pretty good, from child actress Molly Majorino to Ray Liotta. The flaws I counted were due to exaggerated characters and developments.

Manny (Ray Liotta) is recently widowed. His daughter Molly (Tina Majorino) is traumatized from the death of her mother and hasn't spoken a word since. Manny decides to hire a nanny to look after Molly while he's at work, settling for Corrina (Whoopi Goldberg). Her unorthodox behavior has Molly warming up to her and she starts becoming part of the family.

At the beginning of the film we see a bunch of candidate nannies that are way over-the-top. It's a lineup of cartoons from a nanny that loves to drink all the time, to the frigid old bat that hates children but wants to look after them regardless to an insane woman who wants to replace the dead wife in every way you can imagine. Once those characters leave the picture (and thankfully they don't last long) we still have an annoying woman who is desperately pining after Manny who feels really unnecessary to the plot but her appearance is only in a side plot. Take away all those and I say you have a much better picture.

What works best in the movie is the relationship between Corinna and Molly. The two of them spend a lot of time together and you can really see the bonding that they go through. There is also a lot of emphasis on not judging people on their appearances (the film is set during the 1950's where there is abundant racism still present) so there's a nice sweet message along with the amusing love and friendship stories. The movie is satisfying and although there are a few hiccups there are also some good laughs and more than a few dramatic moments that will get to you. (On VHS, February 27, 2013)

"Corinna, Corinna" is a bit sappy at times but it's heartwarming and Whoopi Goldberg" plays her part very well. Most of the performances in the film are actually pretty good, from child actress Molly Singer to Ray Liotta and most of the unconvincing parts are due to them being written in a fashion that's way too exaggerated. At the beginning of the film we see a bunch of candidate nannies that are way over-the-top, from one that just loves to drink all the time, to the frigid old bat that hates children but wants to look after them regardless to an insane woman who wants to replace the dead "Singer" wife in every way you can imagine. Once those characters leave the picture (and thankfully they don't last long) we still have an annoying woman who is desperately pining after "Manny" who feels really unecessary to the plot but her appearance is only in a side plot.

What works in the movie is the relationship between "Corinna" and "Molly". The two of them spend a lot of time together and you can really see the bonding that they go through. There is also a lot of emphasis on not judging people on their appearances (the film is set during the 1950's where there is abundant racism still present) so there's a nice sweet message along with the amusing love and friendship stories. The movie is satisfying and although there are a few hiccups there are also some good laughs and more than a few dramatic moments that will get to you. (VHS, February 27, 2013)
½ July 9, 2015
A charming little family drama about a husband (Ray Liotta) & daughter (Tina Majorino) losing their mother & trying to cope but also requiring to hire a nanny.

Although this is wildly predictable it's has a charm & nice pacing to it & it's a nice film with a great tempo to it.

Whoopi is great as the nanny and a lot of the film's power is what's not said. It's touching & like able & shame little Tina Majorino didn't have a strong adult acting career.
June 2, 2015
I really enjoyed this film, I didn't loose interest and got very into the story, the acting was great and the music was good. I'd recommend this film, you won't be disappointed, it is definitely not a rotten tomato!
May 6, 2015
An underrated film. A heart warming and enjoyable tale where love triumphs over ignorance, fear, and racism. Solid performances all the way around from the adorable young actress who plays
April 19, 2015
A warmhearted melodramatic tearjerker with actors I like but a script I didn't.
August 17, 2014
Good Sunday afternoon movie for the family!!!
Love a bit of whoopi!!!
April 22, 2014
Amazingggg. loved the plot loved, the cinematography. the movie was simply divine. love the time period it's set in and all the acting is sublime. One of my fav childhood movies and still is
½ December 20, 2013
cast was good the pic not so much
½ July 9, 2013
While by no means a fantastic movie, "Corrina, Corrina" is a very sweet one. There was a lot of love put in this film, and it shows. Whoopi Goldberg is great as Corrina, and Ray Liotta does well playing a pretty normal guy, unlike a lot of his psychopathic or unstable characters from other films. The plot juggles a lot of ideas and characters that don't quite get fleshed out enough, and that does hurt the film a bit. But when Goldberg, Liotta and Majorino are onscreen together, it works.
½ May 5, 2013
One of my favorite movies when I was growing up.
March 31, 2013
YESSSSS--I love it, and Ray Liotta is cool*
March 29, 2013
First time I could call a movie "awkward" - it portrays heated issues like racism and interracial relationships, and even romantic tensions between two scarred adults, and packages it like a made-for-Disney movie - just odd...
February 24, 2013
Baby Mac from Veronica Mars!
½ February 24, 2013
This simple picture depicting Manny, a middle aged man whose wife has recently died, makes one of the most difficult situations in his life: to hire a nanny to take care of their little daughter whilst he prioritizes with his work. Despite this picture's lack of popular appeal and box office performance, it would seem intolerant to suggest that this picture is not a moving or deeply thought-provoking.

The picture, set during the late 1950s, is a wonderful depiction of how two people so "different" can come together at a time when it wasn't politically or socially acceptable. The true stars of this movie, Goldberg and Liotta, portray the taboo of an interracial relationship at the time and convey this difficulty with such serenity and authenticity.

The infrequent injections of Goldberg's comedy enable the film to be not just a sadistic and morbid tale of the hardships of America's shame, but an attempt to remind audiences that we have finally reached a place of equality where interracial love is acceptable. Goldberg's character is utilized as a tool to encourage mediation between the lost Manny and his daughter

Overall, Corrina, Corrina is a truly beautiful film that raises the question of African-Americans being accepted into white society and serves a message to illustrate the history of America's black peoples and how, really, we're all the same.
January 12, 2013
LOVED IT! I wish the director & writer would've spoke more about the tension that came with interracial relationships during that time. Nonetheless, it was heart-warming to watch the budding relationship between Corrina and Manny. It was even more touching to see Molly come out of her shell as she coped with her mother's passing.
December 15, 2012
Pretty cute but not great!
December 13, 2012
Love, love, love..start to finish
December 7, 2012
A few flaws but otherwise enjoyable movie, may be boring moments but only fleeting ones.