Corvette Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Corvette Summer Reviews

½ November 6, 2011
This is one of my favorite childhood films and seeing it for the 1st time in 25+ years, it makes me think why I loved it so much. The acting is horrible, the movie is visually horrible but with all that I still enjoyed it just as much as I did as a kid.
½ November 5, 2011
Witty, funny and charming.
June 25, 2011
Enjoyed this flick and remember the year I went to see it...Disco ruled!
June 21, 2011
Annie Potts rocks in this film! So many cool things about this film, and if you want to see "old" Las Vegas, it's all here!!
January 24, 2011
"Mark Hamill who you loved in "Star Wars".... Annie Potts who you'll never forget...And he thought fast cars were a thrill..."

"The eternal triangle ... A boy, a girl and a car."

"A Fiberglass Romance."

"The hot one is coming!"

Ken (Mark Hamill, in his 1st role after Star Wars A New Hope) loves to design and build exotic cars. When the High School shop class project car, a fully tricked out dream Corvette, is stolen, he begins searching for it. His search leads him to Las Vegas, where Vanessa (Annie Potts), a teenaged prostitute wannabe, helps him try to track it down. Also features Eugene Roche (Foul Play), Kim Milford (laserblast), Philip Burns (Seinfeld), Dany Bonaduce, TK Carter (Punky Brewster), Brion James (Bladerunner), Dick Miller (Gremlins), and a somewhat young Ian McKellan.

Ed McGrath: It's a commodity, to be bought and sold like anything on this earth.

Vanessa: This one's on me.

Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: I'll never forget what I saw in there. You were making a dirty movie!

Ed McGrath: I've been around automobiles all my life. They're mechanical devices. They always let ya down. Ya buy 'em, ya drive 'em, ya break 'em, ya fix 'em, ya sell 'em. Goods in the market place. Don't get too attached to this car.

Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: Mr. McGrath? You a dance moniter? You look like somethin' off the Lawrence Welk Show.

Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: I want my car - Kootz - ya little shit, ya lost it!

Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: 'Scuse me, uh, seventeen miles an hour?
Tico: Fifteen.
Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: On the in'erstate. What are ya doin', lookin' for a contact lens?
Tico: You patties crack me up. Still doin' your speed number, huh?
Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: Well what are you into, miles per gallon?
Tico: Class...we're into class.

Vanessa: Ya wanna hitchike, ya gotta stick somethin' out.

Mr. Lucky: I tell ya what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna pass my lucky streak on to ya.
Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: A two dollar bill?
Mr. Lucky: Hey, that's what I started with.

Vanessa: Hey, know what I got on under here?
Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: Paper towels?
Vanessa: Nothin'. My streaker suit.

Gil: I have just seen your first needy motorist.

Vanessa: It's not even your car.
Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: So what, I built it. Look, can we discuss this later after we catch 'em?

Vanessa: Hey, hey - I got an idea. Why don't you write a letter to the car? Dear car,
[sobbing]
Vanessa: I miss you so much.

Vanessa: Whatta you drink, motor oil?

Kenneth W. Dantley, Jr.: I drive my first car at nine. I overhaul my first transmission at ten. At thirteen I turn the quarter mile in under 12 seconds...and I wait till now to get laid?

Ed McGrath: Everyone has to ask the question, am I a sucker or what. I mean we all play the game, but who makes up the rules?

Vanessa: Where did all this money come from, Mr. Dantley? You didn't pay for this with a two dollar bill?

Principal Bacon: You, young lady, do you have an explanation to offer?
Vanessa: Sure don't, jack.
Principal Bacon: Well who does?
Vanessa: Ask Bozo.
½ January 5, 2011
I really enjoyed this movie, mostly because it stars two of my favourite actors, but it is also a fun comedy adventure about Hamil's character trying to get his car back.
½ October 3, 2010
Jackson and I watch this movie last night and I ask why doesn't Luke just use the Force to get back his care and Jackson turns to me and says, "Dad, Luke is just a regular guy in this movie - he doesn't have the Force!".
October 20, 2009
One of the most misunderstood B-movies of the 70s.
August 23, 2009
Holy Danny Bonaduce! I had forgotten he was in this. It's so funny because it's so against his current type. He plays a whelp here. But hey . . .on with the review. Corvette Summer is a Teen Angst Popcorn Flick that features some nice cars, Luke Skywalker, and a future Designing Woman. Mark Hamill does his best "golly gee whiz" farm boy impression throughout the film but slowly evolves in the third act. Annie Potts plays a hooker with a heart of gold and garnered a Golden Globe nomination for her zany yet sensitive portrayal of misguided Vanessa. The plot in a nutshell is; Hamill's Kenny restores a Corvette for his advanced High School shop class only to have it stolen the first night he takes it out cruising. Corvette Summer turns into a road movie as Kenny follows the leads and ends up in Las Vegas hunting down his car meeting a bunch of mixed nuts along the way. The finale is a sweet battle between an early 1970's 2nd gen Trans-Am (customized) and Kenny's custom Corvette Stingray (which boasts right-hand drive) in the Nevada desert. If you like car movies, 1970's teen movies, Luke Skywalker, or hookers with hearts of gold then pop this into your player. And no, it does not have a John Williams score . . .
½ June 21, 2009
I Love Mark Hamil In This Movie , He Is So Cute
moviefan1725
½ May 28, 2009
This lighter than helium comedy was Mark Hamill's follow up to Star Wars. A high school grease monkey rebuilds, and tricks out, an old heap of a Corvette Stingray. While showing it off around town with his auto shop classmates, the car is stolen. Hamill goes in search of it, with the help of on-the-go call girl Annie Potts, eventually tracking the car to Las Vegas. That's about all the story there is. It's an utterly forgettable movie, but it's also a good natured romp that showcases Hamill when his career still lay in front of him. He and Potts have a believable chemistry, and they both make for likeable characters that are easy to root for. Released only about 6 months after Star Wars, Hamill still had the boyish zeal working for him that served him well in creating Luke Skywalker. Movies don't get much more lightweight than this, and I remember as a kid, only wanting to watch it because it had Luke Skywalker. But it still holds a certain level of charm, is firmly stuck in the 70's, and makes for a nice little 90 minute nostalgia trip, back to a time when I demanded much less from movies. Good performances, easy laughs, and even a couple of really good car chases. Hey...other actors have fared much worse in follow ups to their breakthrough movies.
May 14, 2009
good fun. it's a cheesy 70's movie starring luke skywalker - i remember seeing it as a kid and recognizing him from star wars.
the story: in the course of trying to recover his stolen corvette a young guy finds love.
i'm one of those people who enjoys silly movies like this as time capsules - fashion, music, consumer products, cities, etc. it's fun to see how things have changed or stayed the same or come back in style.
½ April 10, 2009
loved this movie.....oldie but goodie
January 28, 2009
Enjoyable fluff, nothing too deep but it's well done with appealing performances. Fine pace. The plot is a bit far fetched but I anticipated that. Some funny scenes.
January 27, 2009
I own this movie it is a classic.
January 22, 2009
I can't believe Mark Hamill did this AFTER Star Wars!!! LOL
January 13, 2009
I got this movie because I remember seeing it advertised when I was at the corvette museum in cooperstown. Also of course this was the movie Mark Hamil starred after the legendary release of the first Star Wars. I did not know what to anticipate because he could have easily done something else but he decided to do this movie a complete reversal from a fantasy based Star Wars to a adventure/comedy. The movie is very odd though just the idea of searching for a corvette in Las Vegas and how he was able to see it so many times and get to the bottom of the mystery. He also was betrayed and I could not believe that the person would have done what he would have done. The car chase was cool and I love corvettes so it was not a bad movie to watch at all. Its definitely original in many aspects and has story that I have not seen before. The plot however weird was a good break from what I usually see and it was enjoyable.
October 14, 2008
I can totally relate to this guy, except I'd definantly find a way to keep that vette
½ September 1, 2008
Saw this movie back int he day....I don't remember it being so hammy though??? Some stuff is better left in the past.