Count Dracula & His Vampire Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Count Dracula & His Vampire Bride Reviews

November 12, 2014
keeps the masters of menace going
½ June 7, 2013
Also Known as The Satanic Rites of Dracula.
March 2, 2013
This film is from 1974 not 1978 as shown and was the last Hammer Dracula with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Played far more straight laced than its 1970s predecessors, that is probably the films downfall. It's dialogue heavy and humour free but Cushing and Lee play it for all it's worth for the last time. Not bad and a decent script.
November 4, 2012
this is the 7th and last film to the horror of dracula. (1958) it is pretty good.
½ October 31, 2010
This was better than I was expecting. I am not a Hammer fan and enjoyed the 1970's setting. Reasonable story and faster paced than many Hammer films I've seen
½ October 17, 2010
Nothing like good ol' hammer horror flicks of the 60s and 70s. This is the first time I seen Christopher Lee play Dracula and Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. I must say this is one of the better vampire movies I have seen in awhile.
October 13, 2010
"Dracula A.D. 1972" director Alan Gibson's "Count Dracula and His
Vampire Bride" is notable for being the last Hammer Film that toplined Christopher Lee in the role as the eponymous fangster and Peter Cushing as the modern-day descendant of Van Helsing. This crisp contemporary outing qualifies more as a conspiracy thriller shrouded in mystery than a straightforward Gothic horror chiller. Mind you, scenarist Don Houghton and Gibson took Dracula about as far from his origins as can be imagined. This is both good and bad in some respects. Sadly, Dracula garners less screen time in this incarnation than previous films. Nevertheless, Lee still manages to make quite an impression when the action devolves into a life and death fight at the climax between Dracula and his arch nemesis. The problem again is too little and too late with regard to Dracula. The novelty value of the film is considerable when you consider the setting and premise. Dracula emerges as a James Bond villain plotting the next armageddon. Gibson and Houghton have to pile on the exposition because there is much here that requires explanation. Again, unconventional methods are employed either to trap or destroy the vampires. The sprinkler scene is fantastic.

Dracula conceals himself like Howard Hughes behind a cult to do his evil deeds. He has put a Nobel prize winning scientist under his spell to forge a harsher strain of bubonic plague to eradicate society as we know it. Of course, the cretinous fellows who work for Dracula are so conceited that they have no idea that they will tapped as his four horsemen of the apocalypse to carry out his insidious designs. Initially, "Dracula and his Vampire Bride" opens with the authorities investigating a human sacrifice cult. They aren't so much interested in the cult itself as some of the high profile members of British society who are
dabbling in with the chance that they may expose themselves as well as
the government to criticism. The Scotland Yard Inspector Murray
(Michael Coles of "Dracula A.D. 1972") recommends that they bring a
respected authority of the occult in to help them. Naturally, Murray is
referring to none other than Professor Lorrimer Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) and Van Helsing learns quickly that an old friend, Professor Julian Keeley (Freddie Jones of "Firefox") has created a new strain of the plague. As in all conspiracy thrillers, anytime that anybody jeopardizes the work of the corporation, they are eliminated with extreme prejudice by an assassin. Van Helsing survives and joined by his attractive daughter, Jessica, (gorgeous Joanna Lumley of "Shirley Valentine"), and they help the authorities track down Dracula. Jessica stumbles onto a secret room where vampire mistresses are chained up and finds herself surrounded by the bloodthirsty droolers. Inspector Murray and The last ten minutes of the movie are like earlier Dracula
films with the two opponents squaring off against each other in the
middle of nowhere in the night. Van Helsing manages to trap Dracula ina Hawthorne tree and kill him. The Hawthorne tree is especially
devastating to vampires because the thorns were used to crown Christ at
his crucifixion. An interesting, off-beat film without any horror.
½ October 28, 2009
I gave this movie 2 1/2 stars which is better known as The Satanic Rites of Dracula, see that one for my full review.
½ October 18, 2009
Christopher Lee returns as Dracula and this time he's out to destroy the world.
This was a fun horror movie.
September 20, 2008
I just caught this movie on the late late show at 3am. Its a Hammer production so I had high hopes. Then I saw the names of legendary Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing (the two stars in this review are for them only.) The movie went downhill after the opening credits. There is the usual Satanic ritual going on which shows how popular the Devil was in the 70's. But what really didn't work for me was the modern setting. Seeing Van Helsing walking around in London without all the old style gothic settings of past Hammer films didn't sit with me. It reached the point of being absurd when Van Helsing is sitting at a desk with a dark figure speaking to him and then the figure is revealed to be Lee as Count Dracula. Seeing Dracula in a corporate setting lost all crediablilty to me. The other problem is the waka cha waka cha disco soundtrack. I know Hammer was trying to appeal to a young audience in swinging London, but it doesn't really work at all. I could see that soundtrack in a Kung Fu film and it would have been fine, just not here.
Despite all that, there are so cool moments. When Van Helsing's daughter Jessica, is surrounded by female vampires, who procede to throw her to the ground and leap on top of her, that was a scary moment. You know the heroes would come in any second to break it up but for those few minutes that scene did work.
The ending confrontation between Cushing and Lee was good too. No matter how bad the storyline can get, seeing those two titans clash, is always worth it. The hard part is staying awake until you get to that part. If I saw this on DVD, instead of TV, I would have scanned forward to the ending. The ending did work, everything in between was a lot of talk and padding.
This is worth a watch only if you can see it for free on TV.
September 20, 2008
This is worth a watch only if you can see it for free on TV.
November 1, 2007
Not interested. I generally avoid horror movies.
July 19, 2007
OMG this is such an oldie. but a goodie
June 23, 2007
(1973, not '78)

Good modernization of the Dracula story, with Christopher Lee as a Howard Hughes type reclusive millionaire who is actually... do I have to say it?

Better known as THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA.
May 20, 2007
its fun to make fun of the vampys
April 21, 2007
damn this movie is fun to watch and some scenes were scary
April 5, 2007
I don't like Dracual movies.
March 7, 2007
what other sort of bride would Dracula have?
February 2, 2007
I think I saw this one
October 3, 2006
The same film as "Satanic Rites of Dracula." See my review of that film...