Count Yorga, Vampire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Count Yorga, Vampire Reviews

½ October 10, 2009
Why did Hammer send poor Christopher Lee's Dracula to endure modern London in DRACULA AD 1972? Part of the reason lies with the success of Wiliam Marshall as an undead African prince in AIP's BLACULA. The other lies with the success of Robert Quarry playing an exiled Bulgarian nobleman who is also a successful medium and invited to all the best LA parties. Soon, however, the good count has seduced a number of LA beauties and inducted them into his harem of undead wives. There is a reason the commies kicked him out of Bulgaria beyond being an aristocrat. Soon the jilted boyfriends assault the good count's mansion in the Hollywood hills. Robert Quarry makes a fine vampire and seems to adapt better to living in the "modern" era (1971 LA is pretty far removed from us) than Lee or Marshall's vampire lords. He appeared in this fil, its sequel, the second "Dr. Phibes" movie, and the Blacksplotation horror film SUGAR HILL before his career seemed to end.
August 24, 2009
Freaking brilliant, in a super cheesy way. God bless the 70's!
April 6, 2009
Saw this when it first came out. Snuck in without my parents permission. I love Bella, but I was disappointed slightly.
½ February 13, 2009
This is one of those movies that looks like it could've been shot by someone from your own hometown with their own money as a budget. A non-scary vampire film.
January 10, 2009
another one of the midnight madness movie classics
October 27, 2008
The vampire, Count Yorga (Quarry) seemingly sets his sights (and fangs) on every woman he meets, except one, proving a historical fact: In the 1970s, vampires didn't make passes at girls who wear glasses. Meanwhile, their incredibly boring boyfriends try to save by slaying the undead fiend.

"Count Yorga, Vampire" is not a movie that's aged well. First off, while the film is more overtly eortic than any older vampire movie I've seen--reflecting the filmmakers attempt to be part of the "sexual revolution"--it's surprisingly unsexy. Also, the flat lighting of most scenes, the indifferent photography, the bland performances n the past of the cast, and complete humorlessness of the proceedings cause this to be a somewhat dull experience that picks up in the film's final 15-20 minutes where the heroes invade Count Yorga's lair and confront him and his white-nightgown-clad vampire brides.

This film features the only 1970s vampire sequence that's as unnerving as the basement scene in "Satanic Rites of Dracula"... and the scene where Dr. Hayes has his showdown with Yorga and his vampire brides is also a fabulous bit of filmmaking. Even better, the film features a surprise shock ending that actually works, a truly rare and precious thing.

Although you'll have to sit through a predictable and uninteresting first hour, the final third of "Count Yorga, Vampire" will make it worth your while. It's hardly a must-see, but if you enjoy vampire films, you can do worse than this one.

Count Yorga, Vampire (aka "The Loves of Count Iorga, Vampire")
Starring: Robert Quarry, Roger Perry, Michael MacReady, Donna Anders, Judith Lang and Michael Murphy
Director: Bob Kelljan
½ October 20, 2008
Pretty decent vampire flick this. It's nothing fancy, just does it's job with a nice little re-invention on the whole Dracula thing.
½ August 28, 2008
Solid concept and a great lead performance by Robert Quarry, but the film gets bogged down by horrible pacing, bad editing and the worst sound mix I've ever heard in a major studio DVD.
August 26, 2008
I first watched this film when I was too young to understand what was going on? The cat eating scene remained in my mind to this very day. So it was great to experience this film now, and to realise that the cat scene was not as shocking and horrific as I remembered as a lad. Robert Quarry is no Christopher Lee, but this is a fun campy vampire film.
August 17, 2008
Very good underated film, Robet
August 1, 2008
Creepy and effective modern day vampire flick benefits greatly from Robert Quarry's excellent performance (he's on par with Lugosi and Lee... yes, he's THAT good).
½ June 6, 2008
Hilariously funny vampire movie. It's sorta like scream way before scream only they don't harp on the it's a joke movie constantly. I liked it.
May 20, 2008
Cheesy vampire drive in flick. Not very well written, but what else do you expect for a horror cheapie from 1970.
May 17, 2008
This film actually has some funny moments in it... the kooky thing is, I think they were meant to be funny. Recently shown on TCM "Underground", it was enjoyable. It's one to have with a beer and a big bowl of popcorn.
Hey, it was better than Blade II
May 17, 2008
I don't know. I didn't really think this movie was that great. It was entertaining enough, but I think I actually may have liked the sequel, Return of Count Yorga better.
December 30, 2007
might see it one day
November 1, 2007
Not interested. I generally avoid horror movies.
½ October 6, 2007
I was amazed by this movie when I was like, ten. I hope to see it again someday.
September 25, 2007