Country Strong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Country Strong Reviews

February 22, 2014
Better then expected. Had a lot of modern country music.
January 14, 2014
Surprise! I liked it. So much drama, but the ending made it worth it. The country music was sometimes bearable because the pop-country was catchy. "Tennessee and Me" and "Word's I Couldn't Say" were great.
½ January 13, 2014
Not the best screenplay and the plot is nothing too bright, but it keeps you engaged and Gwyneth's performance reminded me why she's one of my favorites.
January 5, 2014
i don't care that it has some cliche themes in it, this movie was surprisingly dramatic? i guess, for me. It was good and a little different than what the trailer suggets
November 17, 2013
Country Strong is an movie of an famous person that fights for her dreams.
½ November 17, 2013
...a film that is not just rare but also showcases great performances from its talented main casts. It could still get a little better but I was entertained way more than enough.
½ October 21, 2013
A bit predictable in places, but some of what happens at the end wasn't expected.
October 16, 2013
Love this movie so much!!! Even if you don't like country music, this movie is amazing.. However if you do like country music, it's even better!
October 5, 2013
I don't really know the last time when I enjoyed a movie this much, but I really enjoyed it. Country Strong made you fall in love. I fell in love with the music, I fell in love with the characters, I fell in love with the actors.
I have never found Gwyneth Paltrow to be a good actress, but I'm glad that I was pleasantly surprised by her in this one. I didn't get irritated by her, or anyone else for that matter. I just saw it from start to finish without having anything to complain on.
The soundtrack was astonishing, the music gave me goosebumps. This movie managed to appeal to me from the first sentence until the very end and the amazing music and lyrics was definitely the icing on the cake.
½ September 23, 2013
Great story, songs, and performances. Though it could have gave a little more foreshadowing of the ending.
September 22, 2013
Country Strong tries hard. Its cast is solid; its music is catchy; and its intentions, scattered as they may be, are true. Unfortunately, the movie is a flavorless genre picture that's too bathed in cliché, too awash in poorly-developed characters, and technically far too choppy to really find a purpose or, just an important, a heart. Country Strong tells a story, but it tells a story without any redeeming value. There's the potential here for a superior human Drama, but the film instead plays it safe and, as a result, never captures the heart or the imagination like it should.
½ September 15, 2013
This doesn't seem like something I should like, but I really enjoyed it. The music was surprisingly good traditional country instead of the modern pop version (perhaps with the exception of the lead character). The relationships were strong, and a bit miserable... which seems likely of the toxic environment of super-stardom.
August 10, 2013
Very good but very sad. :-(
½ July 16, 2013
A strong casts does not necessary make a great movie. A garbled plot awarded me a tedious, flat movie experience. Country weak perhaps.
May 27, 2013
I usually find RT's critic ratings to be spot on but sometimes, as in this case, they are simply way off the mark. For sure the film is not Casablanca, and there are indeed plot weaknesses, but this is a sensitive and convincing account of the highs and lows of pursuing professional music in any context. I know several professional / semi-pro musicians and they tend to have lives full of contradictions and complications which all seem to resolve for a few golden hours when they perform.

I thought the script was generally good with few wasted words. It's often what's NOT said that makes this watchable - clearly the Hedlund and Paltrow characters have crossed the line beyond 'sponsorship' but this is not shoved in our faces, and the details are cleverly left unresolved. The scene with the leukaemia boy is heavily criticised but I found it totally straightforward - it gives Kelly a bittersweet moment to remember that her disastrous marital and addiction problems are actually less than those of some others, and she is able, for a few minutes, to find her original 'pre-star' self and the first innocence of her relationship with McGraw's character.

I also found that the effect of the film depends on listening with high-quality sound or headphones - I would defy even non-country lovers not to be moved by the genuine quality of the live-performed music, for example in the early scene where Hedlund rescues Meester; just watching the band playing actually gave me goosebumps...

RT gives Premium Rush 76% - I'm not a dispatch rider but I found that film totally forgettable - and compared to this the 22% for Country Strong is ridiculous.
May 12, 2013
Garrett Hedlund's best performance! His voice is stunningly amazing! The soundtrack for this film is beautiful! All round this is a spectacular film that surrounds a heartfelt story with country music. loved it!
May 10, 2013
Good film to sit down and watch with the wife
May 7, 2013
This is one of the best movies I've seen!
April 20, 2013
I thought this movie had a lot of potential but didn't quite meet it. I felt like a lot of it was more melodramatic, than dramatic. I did love the cast. I felt like Tim McGraw showed some great acting chops in this. And, I'm not a country-music superfan but loved the music. Garrett Hedlund, yea .. he could sing to me all day. In the end though, the movie was predictable .. and melodramatic, down to the big concert ... could've been a good movie .. but just wasn't there.