Cousin, Cousine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cousin, Cousine Reviews

February 13, 2014
Do any of my Facebook friends remember this movie? Online it says it was very popular in the US in 1975. Rodd thinks peple just liked to see the actress's breasts. I liked the VERY 1970s soundtrack, but that was it for me.
December 17, 2012
Never have I seen so much chemistry in a movie as between Barrault and Lanoux, utterly stunning. The movie is not nearly as humorous as it tries to be though, and is let down by a weak ending which is either totally unsatisfying or deeply disturbing depending on how you choose to interpret it.
½ July 6, 2012
A well told and intermittently witty film. It is, however, personally difficult--if not impossible--to root for adulterers (no matter how "justified"), thereby stripping Cousin Cousine of a terrific amount of emotional appeal.
November 20, 2008
nominated for best foreign film by NBR, the golden globes, and the oscars
½ November 25, 2007
I saw Cousins before I saw this film. I wished I had seen this and not bothered with something involving Ted Danson. A delightful experience.
½ November 9, 2007
not a great film but there are some funny moments.
September 29, 2007
Enjoyable, light and funny. What ever you do, do not get the American remake of this 'Cousins' which was a piece of crap.
September 29, 2007
Don't get any ideas now...
September 27, 2007
Pleasant romantic comedy about French social mores with Barrault and Lanoux starring as cousins - by marriage - who first become friends who eventually fall in love. They finally have an affair, flaunting it beautifully to their entire family. Some early development of farce, but not taken far enough, although there is a wonderful funeral sequence where everyone seems preoccupied with other things, rather than a deceased member of the family. (Pascal incessantly looking at his watch; the children assuming the funeral is another party.) Great performances from Barrault and Lanoux highlight the fun.
July 4, 2007
My friends this is the greatest date movie ever filmed. It is a wonderful and touching love story about two very happy people who are with the wrong person in life. Unfortunately for both the right person is married to one of their family members, they are i.e. taboo. Not blood related but socially not acceptable. But do they care? Hell No! Love triumphs over all, and it is just wonderfull watching Cupid loose all of his Devine arrows at once. When you get this get it as a double bill along with Alan Bates in "The King of Hearts." Show them King first and Cousin, Cousine second. I suggest a couple of cracked crabs with Hollendaise sauce to dip it in. Add some French bread and a couple of bottles of champaigne along with a fire in the fire place and I absolutley guarantee you'll get laid! Enjoy!
Scott