The Wicker Tree - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wicker Tree Reviews

April 10, 2016
It was mediocre could've been worse could've been better.
August 25, 2015
Slow, dull, wordy, anticlimactic movie that needed a burst of action and energy, the music couldn't even save this mess, Hardy disappointed me with this movie after the The Wicker Man was such a great movie, I guess he lost his touch after 40 years. Waste of time movie that's not half the original Wicker Man is, makes the remake look like Shakespeare.
½ July 24, 2015
"The Wicker Man" starring Edward Woodward is one of the greatest horror films of all time. It's remake starring Nicolas Cage is one of the worst films of all time. 39 years after the original, the film's director, Robin Hardy makes this follow up to the original, based on his book. You might be thinking "surely the director of the original would have a better chance of continuing that film's legacy than Neil LaBute did." You'd be wrong. Aside from the name and the appearance of Sir Christopher Lee, this film has absolutely nothing to do with "The Wicker Man." And it's not a very good film on it's own. Poor acting (especially the American leads), shoddy production, a weak script all combine to make a hopeless shambles of a movie. Unlike the godawful remake, there's no redeeming laugh out loud qualities to the badness that make it any fun to watch. It's just a boring pointless slog of a film. You're not missing anything by skipping this one.
April 6, 2015
No, Mr. Hardy, I DON'T think this is how Anthony Shaffer would re-imagine his masterpiece if he had the chance. Terrible film. Nicol isn't very good, but I'd be willing to give her another shot in something Hardy didn't have his fingerprints on. And isn't the main character supposed to be a famous singer? Won't someone come looking for her? The Wicker MAN was a menacing film; The Wicker TREE is about as menacing as an empty carton of milk.
½ January 8, 2015
World's worst movie.
½ December 1, 2014
I doubt this is an official sequel to the 70's classic, although Christopher Lee does pop up for a cameo, but it's not clear his characters is the same person. It basically takes the same story as before with freaky acting locals that do nothing for the Scottish tourist authority, however it has none of the mystery or presence the initial film made such a success of.
November 22, 2014
I thought the cage remake was the worst possible - I was wrong
October 19, 2014
Awful. Avoid. Makes the remake of the wicker man look like a masterpiece!
½ September 26, 2014
A solid and creepy follow-up to the 1973 classic, "The Wicker Man", wasn't quite what I expected it to be. Far superior to the 2006 Nic Cage remake of the original film, but that certainly wasn't difficult. The director of the first film apparently went on to make novelization sequels of the film, and this is based on his follow-up novel, "Cowboys for Christ". The film is retitled, for the obvious reason of tying it more apparently as part of the "Wicker" franchise, though "Cowboys for Christ" is perhaps a more aptly-fitting title. Supposedly, a third film, "Wrath of the Gods", is being thrown together. If it's good enough once again for Sir Christopher Lee, then it is certainly good enough for me.
½ September 18, 2014
Lame, boring and pointless. Such a shame as wicker man is exceptional, The problem lies not so much the performances but the direction looks tired and monotonous and the script is slow to establish any point to the proceedings to the climax of the film. Pretty dire!
July 28, 2014
Zero suspense; zero intrigue; zero plot development, particularly depressing given its a sequel - and zero chance of ever recommending this to anyone but curiosity seekers (most likely fans of the original cult classic). Horrible performances by both leads only add to the enormity of this debacle, made still worse by bad music and ill-timed comedy bits.
½ February 11, 2014
Tuesday, February 11, 2014

(2012) The Wicker Tree
HORROR

Straight-to-rental, made with a much lower budget from Robin Hardy's own film called "The Wicker Man". All I can say is that viewers haven't learned anything more then we first started. Co-written and adapted from Tom Hardy's personal novel centering on young Texas couple of Beth Boothby(Brittania Nicol) and Steve Thomson (Henry Garrett) sent on a mission from her church to preach her Christian faith to a small Scottish town unaware that the townspeople have intentions of their own. Beth also happens to be a popular country singer from where she live who can also sing some Christian gospel.

What's totally idiotic about this film is that friends and relatives who're close to Beth and Steve 'don't' even contact her at all to see how she's doing. It's like this entire Scottish townspeople are people still living in the turn of the century, while the people of Texas are using cell phones and so forth. And the ending is inspired by 'Rosemary's Baby'. This movie is a total cash grab.

1 star out of 4
February 2, 2014
This is quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen - and I've watched some shit in my time! It's like somebody's photocopied your memories of the original, crumpled it up and drawn dicks all over what is left... I'd give it no star if I could
October 24, 2013
The Wicker Tree lacks all the subtle genius of Robin Hardy's 1973 classic The Wicker Man. The villain couldn't look more like the devil if he had horns and a tail. The young Christian couple that runs afoul of a pagan coven are so goofy that they seem like stereotypes of American bumpkins.
½ October 8, 2013
Poor script, average cast, unclear and badly portrayed plot, unremarkable soundtrack. A highly disappointing movie which lacked any real substance. I love The Wicker Man, but frankly this doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

Aside from my hopes and expectations from Hardy and a 'spiritual sequel', this is just a plain poor movie. some of the moments of horror are so hammy that you actually laugh at it. No suspense, no horror and a very anti climatic wnd sequence leaves a taste of qhat might have been.

Good job I hadn't just bought it on Bluray ... oh no, I had.
½ October 7, 2013
Awful. Just awful. Irredeemably stupid.
May 12, 2013
The original is a classic. The remake is a hilarious train wreck. This one is just stupid.
½ April 14, 2013
Slow and very creepy. Pagan is still really interesting.
½ March 22, 2013
'The Wicker Tree' is an incredibly odd, and surprisingly incompetent offering. And unlike Neil LaBrute's Nic Cage starring remake of the cult-classic 'The Wicker Man', Robin Hardy's much-belated pseudo-sequel to his original film isn't even enjoyable as a comedy.
½ January 31, 2013
Nearly forty years after the release of the cult classic THE WICKER MAN, director Robin Hardy has returned to the screen with a "spiritual sequel" entitled THE WICKER TREE, as adapted from his own novel Cowboys for Christ.

Betty and Steve embark on a trip to Scotland to perform missionary work in the name of Jesus, where they are invited to preach the gospel in the small and hedonistic town of Tressock by the leading lord and lady. Their good nature quickly betrays them when they are fooled into playing the parts of the Queen of the May and her Laddie in the upcoming May Day celebration, a pagan ritual that will be used to restore feracity to the land.

THE WICKER TREE suffers invariably from its connection to the original film, which forces unfair comparisons between the two. Expectations will be set exceedingly high as a result, which may initially lead to an uncharitable response from the existing fan base. There is much at work in THE WICKER TREE, however, between the cynical humor, religious banter, musical interlacing, slight eroticism, and underlying suspense. Hardy takes a risk in delivering another artful suspense piece in light of the drastic changes the film-going public has undergone over the years, but one that should inevitably pay off.

Having said that, THE WICKER TREE is far from perfect. Betty and Steve never strike a chord with the audience. They are far too gullible, and their characters are portrayed as shallow caricatures of Southern rubes. This was surely intended as part of the film's playful stab at Christianity, but the suspense suffers when the pair are lead like lambs to the slaughter. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Sir Lachlan Morrison and the townspeople of Tressock reveal their malintent far too soon, which takes away from the mystery and intrigue inherent in the original. In this way, Hardy may be playing against the viewer's familiarity with THE WICKER MAN, letting them in on the joke from the very beginning.

Graham McTavish steps in for Christopher Lee as Morrison, the charismatic leader of Tressock. He is a worthy successor, and delivers a powerful performance. Likewise, Honeysuckle Weeks places the audience under her spell as the seductive Lolly. Brittania Nicol and Henry Garrett are all too convincing as Betty and Steve, with their performances becoming the source of much ridicule. The line between innocence and idiocy has unfortunately been crossed, as there is very little irony to be found in either of their portrayals.

THE WICKER TREE revisits the musical traditions set forth in THE WICKER MAN, but with far less success. The gospel singing of Betty and Steve lacks the emotional discourse and intensity of tracks like "Willow's Song" or "Gently Johnny," which had a tremendous impact in driving the plot and luring a one Sergeant Howie into temptation. The continued use of music does give the film a unique identity in the midst of modern Horror.

What we are left with is a mixed bag overall: too serious to be taken as an outright comedy, and too soft for satire. As a "spiritual sequel," fans will surely revel in the familiar themes that are embedded in the film, but THE WICKER TREE stands in the shadow of Hardy's earlier success.