Cowboys & Aliens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cowboys & Aliens Reviews

December 31, 2015
"Cowboys & Aliens" blends Western and Sci-Fi together in a thrilling action-packed way and is led by great performances by Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, unfortunately, though, behind all the bloodshed and explosions is a weak plot.
½ December 28, 2015
A good mix between action and character development, top that off with a stellar cast, makes for a pretty fun sci-fi summer flick!
½ December 28, 2015
Just awful to watch. It dragged for long periods, and Harrison Ford looked like he was going through the motions for a paycheck. Terrible.
½ December 27, 2015
Indiana jones James bond cowboys aliens olivia wilde Steven speilberg WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?
½ December 22, 2015
Cowboys & Aliens, directed by Jon Favreau, is a Sci-Fi Western film that is about a person with no memory, but has a mysterious metal on his arm. He goes to a random town, and then suddenly, aliens start ambushing the town and start taking some of the civilians away. Then the Cowboys go on their journey to take the people back from the aliens. Now on paper, it sounds very strange, but very different to the Western genre, however, it could easily backfire also and with 6 writers involved with the film, it could've easily been too overblown for its own good. While some people didn't like it, heck critics are a bit half and half on that one, I thought that it's a very fun and underrated film that is not quite you are expected out of the title like this. The cast are terrific in this, Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Sam Rockwell, and Olivia Wilde, great performances. Even Noah Ringer, who was Aang from the The Last Airbender film, did a fine job from what he has got from it. The movie got me sucked in it even before the aliens showed up because it sets up pretty nicely with the characters and I get to know a bit about them from what they to deal with. There's not much action scenes as you expect from a B movie title like this, and instead focuses on the characters which I actually really didn't expect and am glad that they took this route. The writing is not that bad, and the alien designs are very sinister, but very cool looking. The effects are great, and the action scenes are very entertaining to watch. The plot is very inventive which was unexpected, and you don't really know about who's gonna live and who's gonna die, well except a bit for the living part. I'm glad that the movie doesn't take itself too seriously which could've failed the film, and added some humor to it which get a laugh out of me here and there. There are some issues I had like the plot questions that either weren't explained enough, or didn't make any sense. As is, I'm glad that I've seen it, and wished that it made more money than the Smurfs movie.
½ December 22, 2015
52/100 - If you want to see a unique blend of these two genres, there's several Doctor Who episodes that will suit your fancy much better. Jon Favreau's attempt to mix science-fiction into a Western is odd, clumsy, and a little bit of a letdown, despite its glossy visuals. It has some decent performances from Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, but on the whole Cowboys & Aliens just feels awkward with its forced blend of the two genres.
½ December 18, 2015
craig and ford make powerful, understated leads in this film. a little too understated. luminaries as they are, a stinker of a script doesn't give them much to do except to growl and bark in the slightest conflict. no doubt 'cowboys and aliens'' brilliant imagination means it will be watched as long as time permits. unfortunately, the story itself is too slow, saturnine and absent-minded to deserve its title.
December 15, 2015
The collaboration of classic Westin meets futuristic Sci-fi may have looked good on paper but the final product turned out to be nothing more than an over-hyped, severely average blockbuster which for the most part is totally forgettable.
December 4, 2015
great movie, 8 out of 10
November 27, 2015
First photo looks cool!
November 11, 2015
Okay, I was prepared for this movie to suck, but what a pleasant surprise. (Don't get those very often.) Maybe it's because I had such low expectations, but I found myself giggling through the whole film as if I alone knew the inside joke.

Frankly, this film is made of cult status. I mean, Cowboys AND Aliens? Dude! How could it be any richer? I have visions of drinking a shot of tequila everytime the Aliens kill some honest homesteader, wrangler, or townsfolk. Maybe squirt gun fights at for every one of the film's shootouts. Perhaps punching the guy next to you every time Daniel Craig uses his special bracelet. What about all three?

Let's face it - this film was never designed to be anything but a good time, the story of thing we all know about: go to the bar, meet a nice girl/guy, have a good time while it lasts, that sort of thing. That guy or gal was not gonna be the one you took home to Mom and Dad.

And neither is Cowboys and Aliens, which is really just a beer, a phone number, and a sloppy kiss good night. Ah... to be young again.
November 6, 2015
A fun romp with exciting action, an interesting enough plot, and a cast of talented actors that doesn't take itself too seriously. Jon Favreau doesn't get enough credit for this one, because he made a good movie. It just wasn't quite on par with some of his other work.
October 26, 2015
This film doesn't try to hide the fact that they are stepping into the uncomfortable zone for most audiences. However, I'm first to admit this film isn't for everyone but it certainly was for me it was an action packed adventure that sent us right in and weaved us along on a fun ride. While some viewers will clearly notice these Aliens are not the brightest of the bunch even though they can travel through space but can't beat Cowboys. Let me put it this way; don't underestimate the Cowboy's of westerns.
½ October 20, 2015
If you are looking for action, action, and only ACTION! This is the movie for you but if you're looking for story, good twists, action, character development and good acting, this is a waste of time.
½ September 11, 2015
A tough loner thief is arrested in 1970s New Mexico. Soon the arresting sheriff, along with the thief and the rich guy from whom the thief thieved are batting aliens. Alliances falter and some hokey drama happens, but, of course you know who wins. With a name like Cowboys and Aliens, I would have thought it would be more campy. The tone was a bit too dark and everything about it was mediocre.
August 17, 2015
What's not to love? Daniel Craig kills it, Olivia Wild is smoking , Harrison Ford is a baller, and it combines 2 of the greatest genres to hit the big screen. Suspend your disbelief, put away your self proclaimed critic cap, and enjoy this for what it is.
August 15, 2015
The blending of two separate genres may not be smooth as there are some roughness to the mix, but it'd done its job to still be enjoyable when it's decently-written with respective aspects and benefitting from the cast's efforts, especially Craig and Ford standing out. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 14, 2015
Cowboys AND aliens? A good cast and director? Sounds like a winner to me.
August 9, 2015
An embarrassment for all involved. I'm rooting for the Indians, in this case.
½ August 2, 2015
With a smart, but absurd idea, Cowboys & Aliens provides some great performances from Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, but unfortunately, they couldn't save this film from disaster