Cowboys & Aliens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cowboys & Aliens Reviews

½ April 22, 2016
Superbly cast, excellent premise and a pathetic treatment to the said premise leaves it in a cohesive mess that never lives up to any expectations. The element of surprise for the cowboys seeing Aliens or even digesting the fact is missing as a bunch of gunslingers go about as a routine kidnapping and rescue mission. It fails both as a western and a science fiction.

A man with no name (Daniel Craig) wanders into a small town in Arizona with a weird object attached to his wrist having no memory of his past. The town is in the iron grip of a powerful landlord with past military experience Colonel Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford). When the man with no name was identified to be Jake Lonergan a notorious criminal wanted by the law, an alien invasion occurs abducting many people from the town which is when everyone realizes that Jake's wrist object is the only weapon that could help them. The rest is the adventure to take the attack to the enemy and free their loved ones.

Harrison Ford starts off as not being too comfortable playing the second fiddle but comes to terms as the story progresses. Daniel Craig doesn't have much talking to do and he looks mysterious throughout even after the mystery is solved. The visual effects are a little inconsistent which can be no excuse in today's times that too coming from a big studio production while the director has a past record of handling it a bit too well in the Iron Man franchise. The talented Sam Rockwell is wasted here and Olivia Wilde looks like she has just freshened up in every frame while her character is in the harshest of conditions. With its bloated runtime, it can work up your patience as everything looks all too familiar even with a fresh mash-up of genres.

Cast, premise and technology could not save the insensitivity of its handling
April 2, 2016
This film is quite boring if I want to be honest, but still full of dazzling visual effects and interesting scenes.
jamrcla
March 26, 2016
A good film, Enjoyed the action and the special effects were good, But with all the hype round this film I wanted abit more, But don't get me wronge it's not a bad film at all it's worth a watch, The aliens looked good too.
March 26, 2016
Western movie with a sci-fi twist, but still the same values as any 1950s B movie.
Why did such top actors get involved with this?
Made it to the last half-hour.
½ February 29, 2016
Can't wait to see this, this weekend!
½ February 4, 2016
James Bond really needs to find better things to do while he's on vacation...
½ January 29, 2016
A decent action flick. But I wish they spend more time on characters ant cgi effects.
½ January 1, 2016
Two heavyweights of the acting world team up to produce a genre that suggests it would appeal to every action loving kid across the globe, but in my eyes something somewhere went wrong! I just completely struggled to follow it, or have a great deal of interest in it, and there was a real lack of continuity. Neither of the lead characters was particularly admirable, meaning I couldn't really care less whether they lived or died, the supporting cast were forgettable and lacked personality, and the villains were I think to be taken seriously, but they were more unrealistic than something from Starship Troopers. I think it attempted to explain why all the events were taking place but by this point I had lost interest and didn't really care. I don't think it had fully made its mind up who it was appealing to, or what type of movie it wanted to be. One moment it would be cheesy and easy going, and the next it was really trying to take itself seriously, resulting in a mess of a concept. The fundamental story is one where the Cowboys go on a rescue mission to get back their friends and relatives who were captured by aliens, but there are several other plot twists which are thrown in to confuse matters, none of which made any sense in the film or on Wikipedia. The acting is fine, and at two hours long, it is just about bearable but I suspect this is the sort of movie that will get you the jackpot on Pointless if asked to name Harrison Ford or Daniel Craig films. It won't be very memorable, for the right reasons anyway.
December 31, 2015
"Cowboys & Aliens" blends Western and Sci-Fi together in a thrilling action-packed way and is led by great performances by Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, unfortunately, though, behind all the bloodshed and explosions is a weak plot.
½ December 28, 2015
A good mix between action and character development, top that off with a stellar cast, makes for a pretty fun sci-fi summer flick!
½ December 28, 2015
Just awful to watch. It dragged for long periods, and Harrison Ford looked like he was going through the motions for a paycheck. Terrible.
½ December 27, 2015
Indiana jones James bond cowboys aliens olivia wilde Steven speilberg WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?
½ December 22, 2015
Cowboys & Aliens, directed by Jon Favreau, is a Sci-Fi Western film that is about a person with no memory, but has a mysterious metal on his arm. He goes to a random town, and then suddenly, aliens start ambushing the town and start taking some of the civilians away. Then the Cowboys go on their journey to take the people back from the aliens. Now on paper, it sounds very strange, but very different to the Western genre, however, it could easily backfire also and with 6 writers involved with the film, it could've easily been too overblown for its own good. While some people didn't like it, heck critics are a bit half and half on that one, I thought that it's a very fun and underrated film that is not quite you are expected out of the title like this. The cast are terrific in this, Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Sam Rockwell, and Olivia Wilde, great performances. Even Noah Ringer, who was Aang from the The Last Airbender film, did a fine job from what he has got from it. The movie got me sucked in it even before the aliens showed up because it sets up pretty nicely with the characters and I get to know a bit about them from what they to deal with. There's not much action scenes as you expect from a B movie title like this, and instead focuses on the characters which I actually really didn't expect and am glad that they took this route. The writing is not that bad, and the alien designs are very sinister, but very cool looking. The effects are great, and the action scenes are very entertaining to watch. The plot is very inventive which was unexpected, and you don't really know about who's gonna live and who's gonna die, well except a bit for the living part. I'm glad that the movie doesn't take itself too seriously which could've failed the film, and added some humor to it which get a laugh out of me here and there. There are some issues I had like the plot questions that either weren't explained enough, or didn't make any sense. As is, I'm glad that I've seen it, and wished that it made more money than the Smurfs movie.
½ December 22, 2015
52/100 - If you want to see a unique blend of these two genres, there's several Doctor Who episodes that will suit your fancy much better. Jon Favreau's attempt to mix science-fiction into a Western is odd, clumsy, and a little bit of a letdown, despite its glossy visuals. It has some decent performances from Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, but on the whole Cowboys & Aliens just feels awkward with its forced blend of the two genres.
½ December 18, 2015
craig and ford make powerful, understated leads in this film. a little too understated. luminaries as they are, a stinker of a script doesn't give them much to do except to growl and bark in the slightest conflict. no doubt 'cowboys and aliens'' brilliant imagination means it will be watched as long as time permits. unfortunately, the story itself is too slow, saturnine and absent-minded to deserve its title.
December 15, 2015
The collaboration of classic Westin meets futuristic Sci-fi may have looked good on paper but the final product turned out to be nothing more than an over-hyped, severely average blockbuster which for the most part is totally forgettable.
December 4, 2015
great movie, 8 out of 10
November 27, 2015
First photo looks cool!
November 11, 2015
Okay, I was prepared for this movie to suck, but what a pleasant surprise. (Don't get those very often.) Maybe it's because I had such low expectations, but I found myself giggling through the whole film as if I alone knew the inside joke.

Frankly, this film is made of cult status. I mean, Cowboys AND Aliens? Dude! How could it be any richer? I have visions of drinking a shot of tequila everytime the Aliens kill some honest homesteader, wrangler, or townsfolk. Maybe squirt gun fights at for every one of the film's shootouts. Perhaps punching the guy next to you every time Daniel Craig uses his special bracelet. What about all three?

Let's face it - this film was never designed to be anything but a good time, the story of thing we all know about: go to the bar, meet a nice girl/guy, have a good time while it lasts, that sort of thing. That guy or gal was not gonna be the one you took home to Mom and Dad.

And neither is Cowboys and Aliens, which is really just a beer, a phone number, and a sloppy kiss good night. Ah... to be young again.
November 6, 2015
A fun romp with exciting action, an interesting enough plot, and a cast of talented actors that doesn't take itself too seriously. Jon Favreau doesn't get enough credit for this one, because he made a good movie. It just wasn't quite on par with some of his other work.