Cows (Vacas) Reviews

• Jan 22, 2013

The film chronicles the indirect and direct involvement of a family in the social and political changes of the Basque region in Spain in the late 19th century. Medem's film is a great social portrayal of a situation, very stylised by a great photography that often juxtaposes the fast moving scenes and plots with the stillness of the cows in the farm land of the inhabitants of the region. It is however almost unbearably cold and unwilling to set up any defined emotional bridge with its viewer.

• Jun 11, 2011

A truly stunning debut from Julio Medem.

A truly stunning debut from Julio Medem.

• Feb 20, 2011

Just about enough sex and nudity

Just about enough sex and nudity

• Jan 03, 2011

Una película a veces tan extraña, pero cautivadora. Vivan los momentos al límite que muchas veces nos mentían sobre algo peor que podría ocurrir. Me agrada.

• Jul 31, 2010

For once, the title of the film describes perfectly what it's about: cows.

For once, the title of the film describes perfectly what it's about: cows.

• Jul 15, 2010

The use of cows as a motif in a tale that is quite dark is strangely captivating.

• Nov 30, 2008

Le premier film du realisateur le plus extra-ordinaire depuis Kubrick. Etonnant que malgre quelques maladresses toute la richesse et l'originalite de son univers y est deja. L'eternel feminin face aux ravages du patriarcat. Quel sens du metaphorique qui nait de l'ordinaire, devient obsedant jusqu'a l'etrange, quelle hardiesse dans la digression aussi, quelle absence de compromis avec le "comme-il-faut" du cinema de genre...

• Sep 17, 2008

I loved 'La Ardilla Roja' but this one didn't cut the mustard for me. Apart from the much-repeated cow metaphor, it didn't say much new and lacked a driving theme and characters you cared about. Sorry, I am a arthouse-phile but I won't be watching this again.

• Sep 12, 2008

I loved this. Something about it was incredibly captivating. I love how dark it was, the forest, the cows. Greatttt stuff here.

• Aug 24, 2008

Medem's first film. A true work of art. Slightly (and unnecessarily) confusing at times, but very rewarding, especially when viewed from a cow's standpoint. :)