Crackers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crackers Reviews

½ September 12, 2016
There's countless Christmas movies to watch over the holidays to get you into the festive spirit. Home Alone, It's A Wonderful Life and you could even throw Die Hard into the mix for dad, but if you're in Australia like yours truly, a white Christmas ain't in the cards.

I remember rushing downstairs to fill up my new paddle pool as a child one Christmas morning, because in the land down under, we celebrate the holidays in the middle of summer. It's bloody hot down here. Crackers has become an annual Christmas tradition. It's got backyard BBQs, paddle pools, feuding relatives, kids stirring up trouble. Pretty authentic, huh?

I lived many scenes of this movie out year after year. Quite a few characters are pretty liberal with the swearing and the two kids aren't exempt from that either. 12 year olds have major attitude. Especially Aussie 12 year olds. Perhaps the centerpiece, and definitely the heart of the movie is the relationship formed between one of the kids, Joey and his great grandfather. Joey's birth father died in an airplane accident and he's none to happy about his mum's choice of replacement father figure, Bruno, who's son serves as Joey's rival. Meanwhile, the great grandfather Albert, has a strained relationship with his son, Joey's grandfather. These dynamics all play out over the course of the flick and result in a very eventful holiday.

Despite having a kid lead character, this ain't a children's movie. There's language, drug use, nudity, some very adult situations and gross out humor aplenty. Crackers gets pretty over the top but is ultimately grounded by it's surprising heart. For me, my family is a little crazy. We're a lewd, rude and rowdy bunch all packing a twisted sense of humor. We love Crackers. Do with that what you will.
June 12, 2015
One of the funniest but overlooked Australian comedies. It's hilarious and with a lot of heart!
½ May 26, 2011
Well good film but Warren Mitchell with a down under accent ?
December 17, 2010
This is my favorite Aussie film!!!So many laughs!!
½ November 20, 2010
Fantastic Aussie comedy. Up there with The Castle and in my opinion better than!
October 26, 2008
HILARIOUS! An Aussie Christmas Favourite! Not ur typical xmas movie.
July 24, 2008