Cracks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cracks Reviews

August 31, 2017
Eva Green is pretty masterful, the girls all do good too. The story is interesting and unique, it is not something we typically see in a movie. Hats off to Jordan Scott for first time direction, I liked some of the cool cinematography.
July 21, 2017
It's rare that I walk away from a movie so unsettled. This one left me with an uncomfortable feeling for days afterwards. Hats off Eva Green for her portrayal of this complex character in such a way that I admired her, wanted to be her, pitied her, and hated her. All in an hour. Unsettling content, exceptional acting. Bravo Miss G.
½ May 19, 2017
Eva Green is a French actress who is both stunningly gorgeous and a talented performer. The sight of this beautiful woman in classy silk blouses in a potentially interesting movie led me to grab it from the rental shelf post haste! I cannot say that as a film it lived up to any other promise (particularly in the story department). However, I am open to watching it again, and again..if only to make sure I didn't miss any pivotal plot point. Hey, you want a real review? Go read Ebert!
½ April 21, 2017
Eva Green is a French actress who is both stunningly gorgeous and a talented performer. The sight of this beautiful woman in classy silk blouses in a potentially interesting movie led me to grab it from the rental shelf but I cannot say that as a film it lived up to any other promise (particularly in the story department). However, I am open to watching it again, and again..and again...
April 11, 2017
I thought it was a little scatterbrained and inconsistent. For example: at first, you think this person (I won't spoil it) is completely flawless, likeable and inspiring, and then all of a sudden she is incredibly flawed. This idea is good, however the movie brings this out of nowhere for it to be satisfying and make sense. Despite the flaws, I did like Eva Green and the movie's atmosphere.
½ November 21, 2016
I agree with other comments that Eva Green carried most of the film
½ January 9, 2016
Would not recommend this to anyone. Only good thing in it was the Wicklow scenery.
½ October 9, 2015
This Manipulative Teacher, Miss G(Eva Green) will stop at nothing to get her way & cover her tracks.
½ July 25, 2015
Exploring the hardships of adolescence, Cracks is a provocative period drama. When a new student at an English all-girls boarding school begins questioning her instructor's integrity, she finds that the other students start to resent and ostracize her. Starring Eva Green, Juno Temple, and Imogen Poots, the film has a solid cast, and they give some good performances. However, they're playing pretty stereotypical characters, and the plot is formulaic. Still, there are some hints of intrigue and suspense; but it's not developed very well. Yet despite its lack of originality, Cracks is an engaging film that's atmosphere and beautifully shot.
½ January 29, 2015
Witty dialogue and psychological tension
October 4, 2014
It was disappointing and weird, but if you like British dramas then check it out anyway.
September 20, 2014
Why do I keep seeing Juno Temple in bad movies? She's a very actress, but after Jack and Diane and The Dark Knight Rises, I'm beginning to think she can't see a rubbish script when it's given to her. Cracks suffers from many of the same problems as Jack and Diane: it's aimless, plotless, lacks any real drama or tension. In addition Cracks has annoying, badly thought-out characters. Central to this is Eva Green's Miss G, a diving instructor at the all girl's boarding school where the film takes place. She becomes obsessed with Fiamma, the spanish exchange student, much to the jealousy of Temple's character. Miss G. is meant to be the wise free spirt with the dark secret, but comes off as a pretentious idiot; there's really no reason for the audience to feel any sympathy for her. Neither is there any sympathy for Temple's character or Fiamma, because there's no character for them beyond their initial roles in the film. The lack of any decent character highlights the glaring flaws in the rest of the film. It is a tedious, ponderous, cliched, and agonizing mess that provides the viewer with little if any substance.
½ September 17, 2014
Very well acted but bit depressing
½ August 18, 2014
There are certain points with this movie that I consider superb, (gives very much Maedchen In Uniform-vibes) while unfortunately there are flaws that are much too big to ignore.

The story is set in an all-girls elite boarding school, long way off in England. The year is 1934, and the social hierarchy among the students are ever so balanced. Di (Juno Temple) is the top dog, and most importantly the very much loved and admired teacher Miss G's (Eva Green) favorite student. Miss G is running a diving team with the girls. Among the pupils are also; Lily (Ellie Nunn), Poppy (Imogen Poots), Laurel (Adele McCann), Rosie (Zoe Carroll) and Fuzzy (Clemmie Dugdale). All the girls biggest idol is Miss G, and things they do and say is all a strategy to get her regard.

Miss G herself, has noticed this of course and puts loads of energy into be the best, modern female role model they could ever have. She shows Di some "forbidden" sensual books, which Di appreciates greatly. She learns the girls to be spontaneous, like running out in the middle of the night and take a lovely swim, (nude). But what the girls like the best, is to listen to all the wild, romantic and exotic adventures Miss G had experienced before she became a teacher.

The world is rocked for many, but specially Di, when a new student arrives to school, Fiamma (Maria Valverde)...

Fiamma is not just another girl from a rich family, who are sent to this school to become a fine, cultivated young woman.
Besides being breathtakingly beautiful, Fiamma is from a very wealthy and influential family of spanish ancestry.
Di, Poppy and Rosie gets envious of her beautiful clothes, expensive perfumes, ect. and they make fun of Fiamma's asthma.
It soon stands clear that Fiamma is a natural born talent when it comes to diving (and many other things) and soon all of Miss G's affection is focused solely on Fiamma.
Fiamma hate it at the boarding school (not very much because of the bullying) and she sees through Miss G very quickly, Fiamma who despite her young age has been around the world very much...
Miss G has for some time developed an almost obsession with Fiamma, her stunning beauty, kindness, talents and amazing cultivation besides having traveled around the world...

When Fiamma rejects Miss G's friendly invitations, Miss G turns her anger towards the other girls.

I love the atmosphere, and social intrigues and the character developments in this movie. And above that, it's so beautifully shot!
It's only the end scene (and the scene leading to it), with Fiamma, I have a hard time to swallow....To me it ruined the whole film because of it's ridiculously prevailing drama. Very soapy.

Very good job anyway by director Jordan Scott! I hope she soon continues making movies!
August 15, 2014
I saw this movie at least 700 times! I loved it so much! Can they make another movie like this one?
July 10, 2014
I LOVED this movie. Why isn't it rated higher????????!!!!
½ June 28, 2014
This. . . This is a weird movie. Best synopsis: Doubt meets Lord of the Flies. Eva Green is straight crazy. And also excellent, per usual.
May 24, 2014
We can become devils or angels, but as children, we are both--Psychological, cinematographic and literary!!
February 23, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
½ December 30, 2013
This is not a great film, but it is dark and moody and worth watching if you are an Eva Green fan. The film is quite sexy in a subtle but taboo sort of way.