Crazy in Alabama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crazy in Alabama Reviews

December 29, 2014
This should be called "weird in Alabama". It's a distorted Mississippi burning and natural born killers mixture. They never really connect the two story lines.
November 30, 2014
Yea it's uneven. Yea it's crazy but it's actually really enjoyable too
September 7, 2014
I really like this movie! it's a good weird!
½ July 12, 2014
Actually a lot better than I remembered it being. Griffith is a hoot.
½ June 30, 2014
Although I knew that Melanie Griffith was not the best actress, as Crazy in Alabama was directed by Antonio Banderas, I figured it was worth a shot.

Crazy in Alabama is a problem because of its story. It simultaneously comes back and forth between two stories, one which is seriously dramatic in dealing with issues about coming of age and racism while the other is a comedy about a woman trying to make it in Hollywood after running away from the husband that she murdered. The reason that so many critics feel that Crazy in Alabama does not fully come together is because it never does. It is essentially two films: a comedy and a drama drastically mashed together into the one film which is pretty senseless. Both stories have potential, but they would work better as standalone projects. The fact that Crazy in Alabama is so constantly flipping back and forth between a serious drama and a lighthearted comedy is ridiculous. Crazy in Alabama is built mainly on a lot of tonal shifts, and it makes the experience shaky, degrading the hard nature of the drama while also making the comedy sink beneath a film which takes itself way too seriously. The two stories seriously damaged the potential of Crazy in Alabama because it made it difficult for me to laugh at one story or find the other compelling. The two stories have pretty much nothing to do with each other, and so what the actual point of them was seems very weird to me. In short, Crazy in Alabama succeeds neither as a decent comedy or a drama because each story lays down a negative effect on the other, and while the film had a greater chance of being a decent comedy, the drama just dragged it down and made the experience poor.
The fact is that neither of the stories in Crazy in Alabama are really interesting because the dramatic story about racism and a corrupt sheriff does not capitalise on its potential and ends up generic and bereft of much entertainment value whereas the comedic storyline does not go for many laughs due to being short on jokes. Both stories serve as a front for some good acting and nice scenery, but the fact is that filmmaking requires something for people to build off. The scenery and acting in the film build off of nothing, and if viewers do indeed find Crazy in Alabama to be a good film it is merely because they have distracted viewers from the fact that at heart, this film is poor. It boils down to the screenplay by Mark Childress as adapted from his own novel. Mark Childress wants the film to be both a serious drama and a comedic vehicle for Melanie Griffith, but he fails to find the balance to make it work and so it doesn't end up supplying all that much to Antonio Banderas for his directional debut.
Antonio Banderas does what he can, and luckily enough in the end he ends up showing promise as a film director by revealing an eye for style in filmmaking. He captures a lot of beautiful scenery in the film which makes it feel genuine and gives viewers a loose sense of the timeframe, and he does it with innovative cinematography techniques. He is constantly trying out new angles and editing at a gentle pace which gives the film a good visual style and captures everything well. And against the backdrop of a nice and gentle musical score, Crazy in Alabama just feels right.
And the cast have no trouble in the film.
You can tell that the Golden Raspberry Awards really have it out for Melanie Griffith because she got nominated for the Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for her leading role in Crazy in Alabama. In actual fact, she is the best element of the film. While her performance is not perfect, her leading role gives her the opportunity to charm audiences with her natural flair which is exactly what she achieves. She manages to establish the character as a sympathetic and likable figure even though she is a killer, and she manages to maintain her natural charm for the entirety of the film. She delivers her lines with a certain giddy energy without going over the top, and she constantly keeps the emotions of her character in tact well. Melanie Griffith's charming lead performance in Crazy in Alabama capitalises on what she is truly about as an actress, and so she carries the film on her shoulders much of the time and should be able to entertain her fans well in one of the best performances she has given in years.
Lucas Black is also great in Crazy in Alabama. As he has to carry the dramatic storyline on his shoulders, he is required to put a lot of dedication into the role. And without trouble, that is exactly what he does. Lucas Black injects a lot of solid youthful charisma into his part by delivering his lines with real passion for the part. He takes the material very seriously and single handily attempts to convey the emotional impact of the drama in the film to audiences. Lucas Black's performance is stronger in dramatic credibility than the story itself, and it shows a lot of talent from the young actor and boosts the credibility of the film.
Robert Wagner also supplies a decent supporting performance, and Cathy Moriarty adds a nice touch to the film with her small part in Crazy in Alabama.

Yet despite a talented cast led by an enjoyable performance from Melanie Griffith as well as stylish direction from Antonio Banderas, Crazy in Alabama is a film which cannot decide what to do with itself and bounces back and forth between melodrama and comedy without being strong or funny enough to succeed as either, and instead it ends up as a dull film with a weak and uncompelling story along with a terrible structure.
½ January 28, 2014
I thought I had watched this previously but I had not. I'm not a Melanie Griffin fan but she was pretty good in this. The storyline was inspiring in the end.
½ August 6, 2013
The two or three different stories going on here are moderately interesting on their own, though they never mesh quite well enough crammed into this one piece.
February 20, 2013
Horrible movie from horrible book. There's nothing 'free spirited' about this. It appears most people agree. Trash.
January 23, 2013
The two plots don't gel, and despite a good performance by Griffith and an amusing eccentric style, it seems quite shallow and disconnected.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
November 6, 2012
it was a surprise. Kudos
September 5, 2012
Uniformly excellent cast, headed by Griffith and directed with a kind-of sentimental toughness by Banderas make for a terrific film, from what I saw. I only caught it on television when it was well into the story, so now I have to see it from the beginning. Really looking forward to it and will find the book, too.
May 6, 2012
Very good film, Antonio Banderas really impressed me with this film.
A serious film about racism with cute kids facing discrimination and a really crazy Melanie Griffith, lovingly directed by a admirer Banderas, that gives the film the funny moments turning it to a comedy.
Antonio Banderas knows exactly what he wants in this film, he wants the viewer to worry about racism, but he also wants to entertain. And so, you will have bad anguishing moments and funny moments too.
When Melanie Griffith is on screen you realize how much Antonio Banderas loves her, she is directed with admiration and devotion. Almost a tribute to her.
Very different to the typical spanish films, I like it.
½ April 17, 2012
this movie was kinda weird but my man got hurt!! with one eye he still looks cute!!!
April 15, 2012
Crazy is definitely the word for it
March 23, 2012
This is technically a "coming-of-age" film, but it has a kookiness to it that's irresistible. It deals with 60's racism without being heavy-handed - while also being a road-trip movie. It's completely odd and completely unique. Antonio Banderas should consider directing more often.
February 15, 2012
I liked the book better
½ February 15, 2012
I really enjoyed it! Melanie Griffith was great and loved seeing Fanny Flagg in this.
January 4, 2012
The first half of the movie is SO SLOW and drags on and on. The second half is much better.
November 13, 2011
Really well directed & beautifully shot, Banderas first feature as a director is promising. The story is a bit weird but whay not? Griffith is doing her best & nails every scenes. I loved the down south feeling of the film. Well done hope Banderas will direct more films in the future.