Crazy Lips - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crazy Lips Reviews

November 1, 2011
With its jarring content ranging from rape and necrophilia to musical solos and cartoonish kung-fu, this nonsensical Japanese horror can only be described as being like a David Lynch movie on speed. 'Crazy Lips' is empty, emotionless and very poorly made, yet its meandering narrative and frenzied visuals are oddly intoxicating and you'll be hard put to find anything out there crazier. Unsettling, visceral and indescribably bizarre.
February 11, 2011
Crazy is about right. As a whole, I'm not this movie's biggest fan, but there were elements of it that I thought were rather good.
½ October 10, 2010
A voir pour ceux qui aiment les films loufoques, déjantés et un peu pervers. Un nouveau freak film cult japonais.
October 8, 2010
Pure Asian insanity that is hard to describe and seems to get weirder and werider. After a series of murders a family is hounded by the press, because the main suspect is the son of the family. So one of the daughters goes out to look for help from a psychic and her assistant. The psychic performs a seance and then somehow takes control of the families' minds which results in the assistant getting sexual favors from all three family members. At the same time the daughter that hired the psychic starts to realize that she has powers of her own and that she is being watched by secret agents. Like I said before the film is downright bizarre like in it's depiction. Of sex which is pretty much rape and everyone acts like it's no big deal. Odd.
October 2, 2010
Crazy? Yes, completely nuts, in fact. A mother and two sisters are trying to clear a son of charges that he's a serial killer who murdered three women. They enlist the help of the Mamiya Psychic Research Institute, which consists of a spooky psychic woman and her husband, Touma. The family home is constantly surrounded by reporters who carry continuous live broadcasts of everything that happens in the house. And then... reality takes a turn for the surreal.

The psychics are really a cult dedicated to bringing a god of some sort to earth, and they're going to accomplish it through a regimen of sex, humiliation, and resurrecting the spirits of the headless murder victims. They come to dominate the family, but they also find out that the main character has her own psychic powers when the headless ghosts start killing for her. And then the woman does a bad musical number shortly after a detective has his head twisted at her behalf. Meanwhile, the psychic reveals that the brother is innocent and the killer is a woman... or maybe more than one woman. Soon, a secret task force is watching the family through their television set. The woman in the task force speaks English (more or less), likes large guns and sings "The Star Spangled Banner." It all culminates in a running karate battle that includes axes, baseball bats and a scalping when the brother shows up, and that monster-god is coming...

"Crazy Lips" is played for black humor as much as shock value. It's very much in the vein of Takashi Miike's "Visitor Q," and people who couldn't stomach that notorious flick should probably avoid "Crazy Lips" as well. The narrative style is bizarre, twisting and turning like some kind of half-lucid nightmare. There's a good deal of graphic violence, though much is left to the viewer's imagination via the strategic use of red flashes at key moments of potential gore (which is in limited supply in this film). There's also a lot of sexual innuendo and somewhat graphic sex scenes, so this is definitely not one for those who are shocked senseless by things like a mother and daughter holding their second daughter in place while forcing her to have sex with a dead man hanging by a noose. You have been warned!

If you can tolerate that sort of thing, though, "Crazy Lips" is a very good reality-gone-mad flick. It's not quite as well-done, nor as graphic, as "Visitor Q," but definitely worth a watch by those who enjoy watching things melt in a hallucinatory fashion.
½ July 19, 2010
"Crazy" is a fairly apt description of this film. What starts and feels like an unexceptional and predictable horror film continues to defy narrative expectations by taking one weird turn after another. Not that this makes the film terrific by any means, but it certainly kept me engaged enough to keep watching. The director was clearly influenced by Twin Peaks and David Lynch, and not all in good ways.
August 29, 2009
Crazy is definitely an understatement here. I feel sorry for the folks who rented this because of the cover of the DVD stating that it's from the same folk who brought you The RIng, Ju-on and Audition, because this is a bizarre, bizarre film.
A mother and 2 sisters seek the help of a psychic couple to prove that their brother hasn't followed their father's footsteps and become a murderer. Sounds fairly straight forward huh? Add to that kung fu, necrophilia, rape, a musical number, sexy dancing newscasters and lots of weirdness and most folks would be throwing their remote at the TV. Not me though, I quite dug it. Sure it's strange, but it's consistently entertaining and certainly unpredictable to say the least. Now I got to watch the sequel, Gore From Outer Space!
March 14, 2009
If ya like Japanese movies ya gotta see this one!
January 29, 2009
...yet another incomprehensively MAD japanese horror movie. Enjoyably so...
December 8, 2008
Cheap crap, but has some entertaining value at least. Don't expect too much, though.
½ November 11, 2008
Parody in a foreign language is hard to get. I'm not positive that this is a parody, but I'm going with that interpretation for now. At first it seems like everyone and all the action is just plain rude, relentlessly so. Then it's funny, but in a pathetic way. I laughed out loud a few times, not sure if I was supposed to or not. All in all I can't say this was a pleasant experience of a film, but I'm not sure if I got it, or if I just don't like the form.
½ September 9, 2008
Genre bending good time. Who can't love a dumb blond played by an asian woman speaking very poor english in an entirely Japanese film, whos sole purpose is to bring in slap stick comic relief to a cheezy but good Asian horror/shock movie. Oh ya, lots of rape.
May 3, 2008
Good god! Why hasn't anyone told me about this movie before I discovered it in a $3 bin at my local used disc store.
To cut to the chase-it's a masterpiece of disturbance.
This movie is over the edge of any I've experienced in years.
Shock and awe.
You and your movie comrades will laugh all the way through.
A movie not to be missed by late night horror fiends.
April 15, 2008
Headless schoolgirl ghosts, bodies dismembered with a hacksaw and doused with sulfuric acid, crazy psychic killers, kung-fu battles with pipes and axes, and musical numbers... That's awesome. Where did this movie go wrong?

Well, for me it went wrong with the rape scenes. Not one, not two, not even three, but many rape scenes. These scenes serve no real purpose other than to amuse, and I'm sorry but I just can't find this entertaining.

Folks with an interest in the weirdest sort of thing cinema has to offer, and who are interested in exploitation/shock films might find this interesting. It's sort of like Takashi Miike at his strangest but without the talent. Everyone else should already have a pretty good idea from the first two paragraphs of this review that this is definitely not something they'd want to see.
March 19, 2008
This movie is completely insane but those who like Scary Movie films can't miss it. It's a parody to horror movies. It doesn't make any sense but that's the point. They even sing in the middle of the mess and horror! It's really insane but I couldn't stop laughing during almost the entire movie and that's why I give it 4 stars, not for being a great movie but because it made me laugh a lot
November 13, 2007
Exploitation galore!
November 5, 2007
this one touched me in a very bad place
November 1, 2007
Not interested. I generally avoid horror movies.
September 24, 2007
i hated this fucking movie.
August 6, 2007
He ain't your brother and that was a huge musical number.