Crazy Mama Reviews

• Nov 06, 2020

One of Cloris Leachman's earliest films Set in the 1950s 3 generations of women Melba, Sheba, and Cheryl had they're home taken by eviction Their father was killed in argument so now they feel doing justice by robbing banks The latest setback is their beauty parlor being repossessed so this crime spree they embark on might just be the answer to save what they hold dear Meanwhile Cheryl is pregnant with her bf in tow, Melba gets married in Vegas, Sheba is living the wild life, and Bertha finally gets some freedom after feeling cooped up in her old age I love these actresses as they'd be the last kind of people who'd become outlaws at their age but the movie is so much fun with their ripe chemistry The 1950s era really gives the movie a rocking vibe too All this family has is one goal and they do it together Some rough patches along the way but the movie shows how tightly knit this family unit is with cool gun fights and sweet car chases while also tearing down conventions of womanhood during this era Short, full of excitement, hilarity, and warm moments

• Nov 29, 2013

Seems like a collection of outtakes strung together to cheaply complete a drive-in double feature. Quite nice to see that Cloris has a figure worth showing off - perhaps she should have done that more often.

• Feb 13, 2013

I love these old movies normally - and big fan of Cloris Leachman - but didn't really like this one..

• Dec 04, 2012

81 minutes of chaos. Recommended to fans of car chases and gunfights.

81 minutes of chaos. Recommended to fans of car chases and gunfights.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    May 06, 2011

This movie has a lot of action, mostly gun fights and car chases, but the acting is average and the story is like Big Bad Mama, just with more characters. I was expecting a dark comedy, as the summary says, but there are very few laughs, and it's not very dark either. It's not a horrendous movie, though, it just needed more work.

• Nov 17, 2010

Dear Leonard Maltin, is there another movie called Crazy Mama starring the same cast, made in the same year, and also directed by Jonathan Demme? Were we watching the same movie, because I fail to see how anyone could call this "a gem." I'd hate to think you were doing drugs or that one of your underlings snuck the review into your book without your approval. Please respond. Thanks.

• Mar 25, 2007

Good performances by Cloris Leachman and Linda Purl cant save this crapfest that looks like a cross between Big Bad Mama meets American Graffitti. A young Donny Most also appears in this film playing a slightly more likeable but just as annoying character like Ralph Malph. Jim Backus has a nice funny cameo as the bank president who makes the mistake of crossing the three generatons of outlaw women.

• Oct 06, 2006

This movie is ok. Nothing that spectacular though.

This movie is ok. Nothing that spectacular though.