Crazy People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crazy People Reviews

June 13, 2016
Ad exec tells the truth in his advertising work and is admitted to a mental ward. It's at the mental ward that he befriends the patients and soon the patients are helping him with truthful advertising slogans that soon become revolutionary. This is arguably Moore's best comedy performance, unfortunately, Moore and this movie were overlooked at the time of the movies release date.
May 18, 2014
How's this for a ringing endorsement of a movie? "There are worse comedies". Wow. I'll have to remember that one next time I wish to give a movie a thumbs up but it's just really not a very good movie (always wondered why critics bend over backwards to skew their review towards the positive? They must have their reasons I suppose. And there are so few good things coming out of Hollywood these days). Actually the clips on Youtube are pretty funny.
January 13, 2014
Worth seeing just for the ridiculous ad slogans and insane asylum characters.
December 15, 2013
Emory Lesson works as an exec at a major ad agency. One day he decides to be brutally honest, in advertisements for some of the biggest products in the world. So the company commits him to a mental asylum. But then it it turns out that people love the truth.
October 26, 2013
Okay, maybe 6/10 is generous, but there were some funny scenes that we're still chuckling about.
March 29, 2013
A drop down laughing classic.
January 27, 2013
Another 80's film done really well. Very funny.
½ October 28, 2012
Exceptionally funny...Dudley Moore is comedy gold, difficult to believe this is over 20 years ago. God.

Actually, scratch that - one star disappeared every 20 minutes after the opening sequence. Schmaltz...
½ July 23, 2012
It's funny! Haven't seen this film since I was a kiddie!
April 15, 2012
this movie kept me laughing the whole time. one of dudley moore's funniest!
February 1, 2012
Dudley Moore is a great character actor, and he shines in this light-hearted film about truth in advertising. Although panned I thought it was hilarious.
½ December 25, 2011
Film yang dibuat UTS gw, nonton bareng2 di auditorium F. Psikologi UI. Cerita seorang lelaki yang bekerja di bagian iklan sebuah perusahaan. Ia dipecat karena membuat iklan yang terlalu jujur, bahkan bosnya memasukkannya ke rumah sakit jiwa. Di rumah sakit ini ia banyak belajar dengan pasien2 pengidap gangguan jiwa yang lain. Dia berteman dan bermain bersama mereka. Di rumah sakit itu pula ia bertemu dan jatuh cinta dengan seorang gadis yg jg mengidap strees karena menunggu kakaknya yg tak kunjung datang dr tugas perangnya. Karena suatu mis, iklan2 yg telah dibuatnya dipublikasikan, dan ternyata iklannya membuat produk2 perusahaannya laku keras. Namun keberhasilan ini didaulat bosnya sebagai hasil kerja kerasnya. Bersama dengan teman2 sakit jiwanya ia melakukan rencana untuk membalas kelicikan bosnya, disinilah ia mencoba mengoptimalkan kemanpuan teman2nya untuk membuat iklan yang jujur dan menjual. Ia berhasil membuat teman2 sakit jiwanya menjadi orang2 yg produktif. Cukup inspiratif....
December 23, 2011
So funny. The ads were hysterical. The movie was not particularly acted well by the actors but the concept was hilarious.
½ November 29, 2011
the WORST piece of unfunny shit i have watched recently.
½ November 12, 2011
I came, I saw, I wasted my time.
September 15, 2011
Just okay comedy starring Dudley Moore as an ad executive who has a bit of a melt down, decides to write advertisements that actually speak the truth about the product, which gets him fired and put into a mental institution. Of course, wouldn't you know, the ads become a huge success, and the boss needs new ads, so Moore asks the help of the fellow mental patients to write them. It had some good opportunities, I think whenever the actual ads were the main discussions it was pretty funny. Unfortunately, there was so much side story about the mental institution that I just didn't care for, particularly Daryl Hannah and her dull storyline. It had a lot of missed chances at good comedy. When I thought the movie was over it turned out there was still 30 minutes to go. I thought it was just meh, nothing special.
July 1, 2011
"Hello. Hello." These were the only words said by one mental patient (for many years) until Dudley Moore's character arrives at the hospital, and shakes things up.

It is a romantic comedy about an ad exec who lost his grip on the advertising game, and created some crassly honest ads that got him sent to a mental hospital.

"The Freak" is a horror movie for which Moore's character created an ad. It won't just scare you, it "will f**k you up for life." Somehow, this made it into the market when an agency assistant sent out Moore's work instead of his partner's (played by Paul Reiser) more tame work-ups. The ad worked, sold tickets. The agency convinced the hospitalized ad exec to get working, and he involved many of the oddball patients in his work.

I put a lot of expectations aside when I saw this film, and while it was not a consistently good film, I really enjoyed it. The possibility that crass honesty would sell product appealed to me. In a ridiculous way.

Ads created make fun of the reasoning for buying sports cars, and disparage cigarettes, Volvo, AT&T, bluntly encourage slobs with weight problems to do something about it, and more.

On the whole, was it a great movie? No. Is it still one of my all-time favorites? In the category of implausible but endearing, yes.

Honestly.
June 11, 2011
I don't understand how this movie isn't rated much higher. It is absolutely hysterical. One of the better comedy scripts of the 90s. Dudley Moore is great and the ads he comes up with will make you laugh out loud.

Once he goes to the funny farm the other patients are some of the most quotable characters I've seen. Outstanding writing and acting. Don't pay attention to the meter on this one.
½ May 31, 2011
Well...Thats what an ad agency is...
April 25, 2011
Saw this on TV the other day. Hadn't seen it in years. Brilliant.