Creator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Creator Reviews

August 23, 2015
Quirky movie with Peter O'Toole, but outstanding in it's own way. Co-starring Virginia Madsen....
June 5, 2015
This is my ALL time favorite movie, I've watched it well over 100 times and never tire of watching it! NONE of the trailers I have seen of this wonderful - three part love story and highly emotional - film even begin to do it justice. All the trailers and previews portray this movie to be a silly comedy, which could not be further from the truth! Even the musical score from the very beginning of the film gives you the perfect indication you are about to see a movie that you WILL enjoy, and yes, cry. (I bawl my eyes out every time I watch it, both from sadness and happiness!) The entire movie/story/plot from the very beginning to the very end, especially the end (which I am not going to spoil for you here) is why this will become a favorite of yours too, which I guarantee will have you watching it over and over again. There are only a handful of movies that have this quality (for me) and "Creator" is at the top of the list, along with "Lady In White", "Upside Down", "Torch Song Trilogy" and "Parting Glances", just to name a few. Please, watch this movie and enjoy a roller coaster ride of emotions and humor, but not "silly" humor. With an OUTSTANDING cast starring the late great Peter O'Toole, Vincent Spano, Mariel Hemingway, Virginia Madsen and many more you will instantly recognize, this movie is a pure treasure and delight. ENJOY!!! :)
December 20, 2014
silly and sentimental but charming nonetheless
December 5, 2014
O'Toole slumming it and elevating an otherwise mediocre film.
Mark H.
½ June 20, 2014
Creator is a better film than its reputation thanks to a fine performance by Peter O'Toole and a good supporting cast including a young Virginia Madsen, Vincent Spano and David Ogden Stiers. The film has its flaws, but is good-natured and often funny if too often sentimental. The plot is actually quite clever for the mid-80's - Peter O'Toole has been cultivating his dead wife's cells for 30 years until technology allows him to recreate her using the fertilized egg of a another woman. It feels just plausible enough to be compelling, and we do wonder if Dr. Wolper will pull it off. O'Toole looks and is cast in a role of a much older man (he was 53 at the time), but his charm and charisma make this worthwhile despite its flaws.
½ December 19, 2013
Yet another movie I thoroughly enjoyed - twice - but that the Rotten Tomatoes collectivity seemed not to. Mind you, the number of reviews is pretty slim which can make the stats shalt. This was unquestionably schmaltzy and Roger Ebert that there ends up being a lot of different sub-plots but unlie the late, great critic, I didn't find it at all confusing but could see the intentional parallels developed between three great loves - Wolper's for his late wife, of course, but also his slow grudging mutual fall for the prodigal Meli and then his lab assistant's love. It all comes together well, I think, when the brilliant Wolpert must attend to the living rather than the quest for recreating Lucy. The interactions between Meli (Mariel Hemingway) and the rulebook-thumping colleague-competitor of Wolpert's Prof. Kuhlenbeck (David Ogden Stiers) are themselves worth the price of admission.
½ December 15, 2013
Sad to hear O'Toole left us. Made me think of this 80s movie which I really enjoyed back then.
October 29, 2013
Amazingly quirky and romantic. Don't let the cheesy cover put you off! This movie is heartwarming and optimistic and better than the book it was loosely based on.
½ October 1, 2013
This is the most inspiration movie I have ever seen and that's why I will forever wait for you "Sophie".
September 15, 2013
Moments of absurdism played off like a smart drama are few and far between. This movie builds on endless potential and is wry with interesting ideas, but ends up going nowhere with anything--becoming the simplest and most cliche of romantic films...even on this level, the romance is un-followable and odd.
½ May 13, 2012
A little sappy but O'Toole saves it
January 29, 2012
Peter O'Toole at his best!
December 29, 2010
Absolutely on of my favourite 80's movies, a gem in a sea of blah of teen romantic comedies of the time. This movie will surprise you, O'Toole delivers big time, he makes the movie. You'll have to look hard to find it, but its very worth while, and have some tissues with you when you watch it... :)
October 7, 2010
Very campy but cute story of boy meets girl, boy artificially inseminates girl to regrow dead wife, boy gets over dead wife and marries girl. Of course, in this case, the boy is old enough to be the girl's grandfather. It doesn't sound like it but I love this movie! O'Toole is amazing as usual, and Hemingway is just adorable. But don't expect an academy award winning story or dialogue.
½ October 2, 2010
A Biologist attempts to clone and grow his late wife, while his assistant looks for true love.
It's an odd little film, it's a tad uneven, but enjoyable and sweet!
January 4, 2010
The main reason I watched this movie again, the first time is when it came out, was Peter O'Toole.
I have grown to enjoy a lot of his work in the last few years, so I thought, lets take a look at an 80's flick.
Creator is about a University Professor, played by O'Toole, who is trying to re-create his dead wife. In other words, clone her. He is the resident genius, and David Ogden Stiers plays his foil.
Vincent Spano plays Boris (clever), his lab assisstant. Mariel Hemingway plays a girl who donates an egg and falls in love with Harry Wolper (O'Toole). It is also a very early performance by Virginia madsen, who at this point, her only major works were Electric Dreams & Dune.
It is fun, it is frivolous.
As with many things when looking at them through the eyes of an adult, I did find one major flaw with the plot.
Even if Prof. Wolper did re-grow his dead wife, it wouldn't be her. He was regrowing her body, but not her mind. A clone would have different life experiences than the original, therefore, it would have a different personality. From what I saw, he wasn't using any rapid aging for the clone either, which means, he would have continued to age as she did, therefore, making it even more impossible for them to be together.
Anyway, I digress. It is still a nice movie. If you have a chance, check it out.
December 22, 2009
A little silly but quite charming. I could watch Peter O'Toole read the newspaper, and the young Virginia Madsen is dazzlingly beautiful. A fine date movie. If you can't enjoy it, then you don't get, as Harry puts it, "the big picture."
December 1, 2009
this is an overlooked gem of a little movie. even though some of the technical aspects are rough (the film was re-edited and the DVD is not in the original aspect ratio) and the aesthetic is only a little above a made-for-tv movie, none of those elements can distract from the strong script & performances. this is one of those 'slice of life' movies that manages to get everything exactly right. the authenticity, humor, and pathos are never false. the story juggles questions of life, sex, god, and love in a stunningly believable manner. you should seek this one out. BONUS: it was filmed at UCI!!
September 7, 2009
This is one of those fun, enjoyable films that aren't too challenging, have a cadre of actors that do a good job and has an interesting plot.

I thought Peter O'Toole is touching and does a wonderful job in the film. This is one of the few films I see Vincent Spano in, but he does a great job as well.

Well worth a bowl of popcorn, a blanket and cuddling with someone to watch for the evening.