Creature From Black Lake (Demon of the Lake) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Creature From Black Lake (Demon of the Lake) Reviews

½ March 31, 2015
A movie that proves less is more. This is a really good bigfoot movie. Maybe the best. Sure there's a lot to complain about, but it has humor and some genuine scares. A scene that really stands out to me is the flashback scene where the family are having a picnic and they're attacked by the monster. Usually in movies like this you get a POV shot or it's filmed at night, but having the monster attack in a setting that seems safe makes the scene more scary. There's a lot of humor, too. It's good when movies like this don't take themselves too seriously. My only complaint is the ending leaves you wanting more.
February 19, 2015
i love this movie. it is the best ever bigfoot film. i saw it at a drive-in during the summer of 1976 which was the perfect time and place to watch this film. i was fourteen years old at the time. this film has a great cast. it has great characters. it has suspense. it has humor. the outstanding cast includes jack elam, dub taylor and bill thurman. the camera work is by the legendary dean cundey (halloween, 1978). this is the perfect drive-in movie. this is the perfect big foot/skunk ape movie.
July 29, 2013
A decent cheesy 70's Bigfoot movie.
½ October 27, 2012
Two University of Chicago students travel to Oil City, Louisiana to find an elusive rumoured Saskquatch-like creature dwelling in the area. The creature was not so elusive as the students have several brushes with the beast in the first couple of days of arriving. Decent film. I felt for Pahoo when chicken was served at dinner.
½ September 6, 2012
May 28, 2012
Harrowing journey of two Univ Of Chicago researchers searching for Bigfoot in northern Louisiana swamps. Contains two classic Western actors in Jack Elam and Dub Taylor. Not an endorsement for vacationing in rural Louisiana, although the local females seem willing to please. One of the better sasquatch films of the 70s.
March 10, 2012
I saw it awhile back, and didn't like it enough to watch again.
½ May 28, 2010
cheap by todays standards it was cool as a child though
½ May 25, 2010
Seems harsh to slate this, given that it was released almost 35 years ago, but it certainly proves how much film has improved over the years. The picture quality was so poor in the first few scenes, that i didn't think i would last the duration. The special effects were obviously non-existent, and it was difficult to feel gripped by anything the film had to offer. I was almost willing the end of the film along, and by the time it reached any form of peak, the film was over. Having not seen the run time of this film, i thought i was going to have to endure an epic, seeing as the first notable encounter with the beast was well over an hour in. However, although somewhat disappointed about this sudden, and inconclusive ending, i'm not sure i could have coped with the lack of entertainment much longer. It felt more like the first episode of a 2-part drama, more than a horror flick, as so many questions were left unanswered. I'm sure it may have been a tad scary back in the day, but unlike many other movies of this era, it will not be remembered as a golden oldie in my eyes.
½ November 5, 2009
Surprisingly good for what on the outside looks like a standard cheapie 70s creature feature. Good writing and acting lifts it into a pretty compelling character drama that just happens to have Bigfoot in it.
½ November 3, 2009
Well. To put it simply this is a straight out copy of The Legend of Boggy Creek. Except for the title which is an obvious take on Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Two scientists travel to Louisiana (instead of Arkansas) to look for a Big Foot creature in the swamps. It doesn't have the mockumentary style of the Boggy Creek and as it follows university scientists rather than the citizens this film actually has more in common with Boggy Creek 2 including the bearded swamp hermit and the mistrusting small town locals. However this film was made almost a decade before Boggy Creek 2.

It's not surprising you get to see very little of the creature until the very end. Scenes with the monster are very spaced out, most of what you see is silhouettes and glimpses of fur. Then when you do see the creature you're bound to laugh out loud. The ape suite is so bad they should have just kept it in the shadows.

So there's not much to say about this film other than I though Boggy Creek was better and I suggest you watch that instead of this or at least watch Boggy Creek before you watch this one.
½ August 1, 2009
Anledningen till det höga betyget är varken nostalgin eller det faktum att den svenska titeln "Träskmannen" är så bra att man vill ramal av stolen, det är en charmig lågbudget film med karaktärer man gillar, det är knappt någon bigfoot med alls men vad spelar det för roll.Pan&Scan versionen på svenska VHSen är så rutten dålig + att översättaren måste varit full då han bara översätter en tredjedel av vad som sägs i filmen, men det gör ingenting, om du har kvar en videobandspelare så köp VHS utgåvan, annars leta reda på dvd eller toktanka ner den.
July 30, 2009
Two Chicago anthropology students go to Louisiana in search of Sasquatch. They hear the locals' Bigfoot stories and eventually have their own encounter.
I wish I had seen this when I was nine years old; I'd have really loved it. Cinematographer Dean Cundey shot John Carpenter's early films and "Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks" before going to work for Spielberg.
May 26, 2009
I love the description of this movie here, which says it's a ballet. I guess that means a giant swamp monster performs ballet moves & then kills helpless victims. Seriously, this is better than the first "Boggy Creek" film and a decent entry into the whole Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Yeti/Snow Beast genre.
May 12, 2009
The only thing 'good' about this movie is the townfolk's reaction to the kids asing about the creature.

It was not enough to keep me in my seat. I left halfway thru...
March 30, 2009
Creature From Black Lake is a decent entry in the Bigfoot genre (yes, that creature, not the fish monster) about two college students from Chicago who head down to the Louisiana swamps in a hillbilly town where many of the folk have encountered the killer Sasquatch. One of the two guys is played by a young Dennis Fimple, who was the standout in this film, I thought. Though he can be seen in many popular films like BJ and the Bear and King Kong, Dennis is probably best remembered as the demented grandpa from House of 1000 Corpses. Anyways, these two guys try to seek out the creature throughout the film leading up to a fairly tense and exciting climax to the film. Though it takes awhile for the film to build up, it's met with decent performances from a nearly all-dead cast. The sounds and roars the creature makes would ultimately be scarier than the creature itself, but like I said, this isn't a half-bad film for its time, though the actual film itself has aged badly, thus one can never hope for a better preserved version of this movie. Interesting note, the small child in a flashback sequence is played by Chase Tatum, who would grow up to be a large wigger who would become a wrestler, a manager to Outkast, addicted to painkillers, and then die. Interesting.
½ July 28, 2008
I'm gonna get my shotgun and make a rug outta that damn thing!
½ May 21, 2008
Somewhat dull addition to the Bigfoot genre could have used a lot more of the monster (which didn't look that bad compared to most). The story never really seems to be going anywhere and the college students don't seem as interested in their research as they should be for a project like this. Better than most of its type.
March 1, 2008
A fine performance from Dub Taylor. Some funny moments. A definative SASQUATCH Must See! The plot kept me wanting more.
½ February 1, 2008
Absolute rubbish, with no production values, amateurish direction and crass over acting. Even the stock used is pants.....