Creepshow 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Creepshow 2 Reviews

December 15, 2015
The sequel is never as good as the original. But that doesn't mean there's some creepy thrills and nasty fun to be had here. This time, George A. Romero, the director of the original, hands the reigns over to the first film's cinematographer, Michael Gornick. But Romero stays on board to contribute the screenplay, based, once again, on short tales of terror from the one and only Stephen King. Regrettably, there's only 3 stories here, but there are more than enough scares to make up for it. First, in "Old Chief Woodn'head," vengeance comes from an unlikely source. In the second, my favorite one here, "The Raft," four college kids decide to go swimming at an isolated lake. But they soon discover they're not alone. There's something in the water, and it wants them. Finally, "The Hitchhiker," (no relation to the HBO anthology series of the same name), where a hit and run driver is driven to madness when her terrible act comes back to haunt her. Overall, not as good as the original, but definitely worth checking out. Oh, and thanks for the ride, Michael Gornick!
November 3, 2015
The creepiest thing about this movie is the terrible animation. There is some fun here, but really it's not scary enough or funny enough.
½ September 17, 2015
Not an extremely satisfying fallow-up, but i've seen worse! C
April 5, 2015
Watch it for The Raft.
February 7, 2015
Not nearly as good as the first one with stories that seemed to be made in a hurry.
½ January 8, 2015
Creepshow 2 has a good start and a surprisingly DEAD End. Not even close to how memorable the original was and instead of 5 horror stories this is included by 3 and the first one happens to be the only relief from this big mess. Creepshow 2 is just a big disappointment. My rating : 30%
½ November 30, 2014
Creepshow 2 is a terrific film watched it about 50 times and I never get bored of it. Now this lives up to the original Creepshow which I also loved.
½ November 11, 2014
Creepshow 2 isn't quite as good as the original, but it succeeds in being scary and ironic. 66/100
½ October 28, 2014
This movie terrified me as a kid but not anymore. It is cheesy and not scary.
October 23, 2014
It was surprisingly pretty good for the most part. I thought the first segment was half decent with the Old Chief statue. The Raft segment was really good and had some pretty cool kills. The Hitchhiker segment was easily the best one. The interplays with animation was alright, it didn't really go anywhere once it ends. Overall a much better movie than I thought it was going to be.
½ October 13, 2014
"Thanks for the ride lady." Don't watch this, just don't.
October 13, 2014
I didn't do an in-depth review of the original Creepshow, where I go over every short in a little mini-review, and I won't do the same for this one. The original Creepshow actually deserved a more in-depth review, where I look at every short individually, but I just didn't do it for one reason or another. Laziness perhaps. The reason I won't do an individual review for each short in THIS sequel is because the movie is so much worse than the original Creepshow, that there's not even much that I can sink my teeth on to actually review. While the original film still had its inconsistencies, given that it is an anthology film, I still think the film focuses on the higher end of King short stories, only two were used for the original film, King wrote three others specifically for the film. Because of that, even the shorts that weren't that good to begin with, like the short that Stephen King himself acted in, still had a bit of a campy charm that made watching them a lot of fun. This time over, in my opinion, other than the last short, called The Hitchhiker, they chose some of the lesser known Stephen King stories to focus on. I know horror geeks revere Stephen King, as well they should, his influence on horror, in all its forms, will never be forgotten. But let's be honest and say that not every one his short stories was a winner. There's nothing wrong with that, as prolific as a writer as King has been, he's bound to have a couple of stinkers, I think even he would admit this...and two of those stinkers made their way on here. The film moves at a much quicker pace, given the fact that there's only 3 stories profiled and it only comes out to 89 minutes long, including the lame animated segments in between the shorts. So this movie will come and go fairly quickly, I have to give them that at least. But there's just something lacking from this film. While the first movie certainly paid tribute to the horror comics Stephen King grew up reading, it was also a lot of fun to watch because of its dark humor and just sheer energy. The first Creepshow is an absolute blast. It's al This film, while still having some lame gallows humor from the Creep, has just had its life and personality sucked out from under it. Being that that was such a big part of why the original film was so good, making a sequel without that same personality was really a big letdown. I'm assuming they just didn't have the same budget and had to make do with what they had, but still, it's a big disappointment. The first short, with the wooden Indian statue outside the general store was pretty lame. The statue kills some dudes that killed the old people that own the store. The gore isn't particularly that good either. The second short, The Raft, wasn't really any better. These teens get stuck on a raft where they then get killed by this strange oil slick monster that looks like it's a bunch of plastic bags stitched together. The gore is a bit of an improvement there, but nothing to write home about and this ends up being another incredibly lame segment. I'm kinda glad that they saved the best short for last, but it's almost pointless by the time you get there. You already know what you think of the movie, and one great short isn't gonna change that. But, goddamnit, did The Hitchhiker really try to change your perception of this film's overall quality. The story is practically nonexistent, if we're being honest. It's about this woman, on her way home, who accidentally hits a guy, and kills, with her car. She drives off, fearing the consequences. She starts to debate whether she should go back or if she'll turn herself in to the police if she can't take the guilt. After this she sees the guy she just hit and he's completely fucked up from the initial hit. Every time she thinks she's finally rid of the guy, he comes back looking even worse, and it keeps on going like that until the end. To be honest, if it wasn't for the gore effects, which were outstanding, this wouldn't have been much either. But I think the short itself was so gleefully violent that it did somewhat elevate the film, which I would've given a much lower rating if it wasn't for The Hitchhiker. I honestly think that I would've given the film 1 star, if it wasn't for the last segment of the film. Story-wise, it wasn't great, but the gore was pretty incredible. I think that should, at the very least, receive some appreciation even if the rest of the film absolutely blew. To be honest, I expected this film to have a much lower audience reaction than 40%. But here's the thing, that 40% isn't people who gave the film 3 stars. That's 40% of people who gave the film 3.5 stars or more. That is impossible for me to believe. Everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinions and allowed to reach their own conclusions of a film, but I can't imagine 40% of people actually thinking that this was 3.5 stars, or better. And Cabin Fever: Patient Zero, a film that isn't as bad as the professional reviews point out, only got 13% of users to give it 3.5 stars or more. I wouldn't ever given Patient Zero 3.5 stars, but it was much better than it had any right to be. I realize I gave this film and Patient Zero the same rating, but that is deceptive. Creepshow 2 got one star added to its rating because its last segment was so much better than the first two turds we were given. For all intents and purposes, this would've been a 1 star film if it wasn't for the copious amounts of gore in The Hitchhiker. I felt Patient Zero was a solid two stars from beginning to end, it wasn't a film that hinged on its climax or anything like that, which Creepshow 2 did. That's why it's incredibly deceptive. Long diatribe out of the way, this movie is pretty terrible. It just looks really cheap, like it was filmed for a low-tier premium cable network that needed content to fill in airtime, it just has that look. If you're intent on watching this, then just watch the last segment and then turn it off. Don't bother with the animated bullshit either, it's terrible as well. Hugely disappointed, it isn't even so bad that it's charming, like something from a bygone era, like so many 80s horror films. Please watch the first Creepshow instead, you'll have so much more fun.
September 22, 2014
Stephen King and Romero are back for more tales of terror hosted by 'The Creep', again the film is bookended by a short story that starts off as live action but then transforms into that eerie cartoon style that looks so good in the Creepshow films.

The stories again are a mixed bag this time not with quite as great a cast line up as before but we do have George Kennedy this time.

First up is a story of an old wooden Indian Chief statue coming to life to get revenge on the youths who killed the old owners of a general store where the Indian is on display. Kennedy is in this story and it is a good one with a nice revenge plot but it is predictable, nice effects on the wooden Chief though.

Second story is slightly better than the first with a group of teens stuck on a raft in the middle of a lake because an oil slick type monster that is devouring them one by one. Nice spooky idea that, despite the monster looking like a flat pancake floating on the water, works well especially effects wise when the teens are sucked under by the creature.

Last story is the weakest and simply involves a woman hitting a hitchhiker with her car and the hitcher coming back to haunt her for the rest of her journey. Pretty lame predictable plot which must have inspired 'I What You Did Last Summer'.

A slightly better selection of short stories over the original minus the good cast but still nothing really outstanding or as memorable as 'Twilight' or 'Darkside', still I must admit I like this old Creepshow flicks very much, love that 80's US Halloween style.
September 8, 2014
Low budget effects support three tales of not so horror.
½ September 5, 2014
A huge step down from the first film. Many things contribute to this. The budget is significantly lower, but what really harms this one is the reduction in the number of stories. Three so-so stories are stretched out far longer than their threadbare plots justify. Each becomes tedious before they can get to their predictable punchlines. The pulpy approach of the first film is replaced with a serious tone that isn't justified by the silly stories. Finally, while Tom Savini looks good in his Creep make-up, the animation that makes up most of the between story segments is cheap and shoddy. Not a complete waste of time, but a serious let-down.
½ August 17, 2014
Another anthology (similar to Tales From the Crypt [and other Amicus releases], Monster Club, Trilogy of Terror, etc) horror films. The best of the three stories is the one penned by Stephen King, "The Raft" about an "oil slick which has trapped some teens on raft in the middle of a swimming pond. The stories are held together by interstitial cartoon bits. Not as good as the first.
½ August 16, 2014
While lacking the tongue-in-cheek approach and humor of the first film, and thus essentially its charm, this sequel does for the most part succeed in its more serious approach even though its second and third story both have at least one unlikable character and the cartoon portions in between its three stories are uninteresting and honestly quite awful.
August 9, 2014
Gotta love the raft! I have remembered it since seen it as a kid!
July 25, 2014
Just as good as the first. Only less but 3 stories is good enough
½ July 21, 2014
Despite the cheap production values and the subpar animation that serves as the comics-come-to-life wrap-around thread, this is a very amusing collection of three competent stories, with the first one being only average and the following two more interesting and entertaining.