Cremaster 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cremaster 3 Reviews

July 26, 2015
Werner Herzog said: "We are surrounded by worn-out images, and we deserve new ones". Cremaster is one of those films that provides exactly this. Mind blowing visual poetry.
December 11, 2013
interesting experimental pic
July 29, 2012
This is experimental film making at the extreme. Giving it a rating is actually pretty futile, come to think of it, since I'm not sure you can even rate films like these. Bizarre, unconventional, disturbing, amazing, surreal, boring, shocking - all fits but also defies easy labeling and description.
March 7, 2012
It's not really possible to review this film - certainly not in comparison to any other film - because it's not, it's artwork. As a film it makes no sense, but as art, well, it's probably a masterpiece. There are some incredible scenes; beautiful colours and sets, and fitting music. Three hours with no real speech, other than the odd spot of singing, doesn't make it easier to understand, but speech would have totally ruined the eerie atmosphere. There are shocking moments, amusing moments, disturbing moments and, of course, lots of very, very weird moments! This film makes Lynch's "Mulholland Drive" look decidedly normal, and Bunuel's "Phantom of Liberty" - pah! - completely linear! Director Michael Barney has certainly achieved what he set out to achieve, and for that I can only give this the thumbs up!
August 3, 2011
hmmm, that poster really caught my attention...
November 25, 2010
The reality is that to give a star rating to Barney's film will inevitably be inadequate, since this piece of Avant-garde cinema defies common conceptions of what "a film" is. That's not to say that I'm 100% sold on Barney as a great filmmaker or "one of the greatest artists of our generation". The truth is that there are more compelling image makers out there. But the kind of symbolic register that Barney is working in is concerned with more than just image. I don't have the training in art and art history to really understand all of it, or to make an adequate interpretation, so I will resist that and instead comment on the experience. Knowing something about both Irish civilization (and vis-a-vis, Western civilization) and the Stone Masons (Hiram Asiff, The Entered Apprentice) will help to make more sense of what's going on. Over the course of three hours Barney plays with our expectations of what movie going is about, as there is almost not dialogue and it is not particularly interesting in telling a story, as much as a metanarrative about the creative process (both artistic and biological). Experiencing it as a film, I can say confidently that the pacing is odd (even "off"), but it's not particularly boring rather than baffling. I can understand why this would be more palatable to most if it were displayed in an art gallery, but in the theatre it does become a transfixing experience. Still, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a real interest in challenging their notions of film, which is I suppose that's what Avant-garde/experimental films are supposed to do.
November 6, 2010
Art or BS?... Ive gotta go with BS lol.
May 14, 2010
like an art installation of film...beautiful and original.
May 9, 2010
Yeah it's some fevered ass crazy.
½ March 16, 2010
It's been so long, so this rating is of the lasting impression. I hope I get a chance to see it again sometime.
February 4, 2010
I loved this, i'm so bummed i couldn't see the other films in the series. It seems incomplete to me. Awesome visuals.
December 5, 2009
Matthew Barney is an artificial-scarcity douche who uses the same font for his DVD cover as I use for my business cards. I don't know if he's a genius or not, and I don't know if Cremaster 3 is actually "a sculpture" as he claims or merely a "film" (well - video, I guess, I think it was shot digitally), but I'll say this: I saw Cremaster 3 once - ONCE - five years ago, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Not more than a month has gone by since then where I have not reflected and recontextualized events in my own life through its imagery and densely braided themes. It's probably easiest to relate to if you're an overprivileged white male with mystical leanings and artistic aspirations, but I'm pretty sure there's something for everyone here. (Not necessarily something enjoyable or entertaining, but certainly something worth reflecting on.)
½ September 9, 2009
art film at its artsy-est. whatever man. This genre is a thin line between awesome and stupid. This film was exactly on the line for me.
September 5, 2009
the clips i found from youtube are already brilliant.
August 2, 2009
This movie comes closer to capturing the experience of dreaming than any other I've seen, specifically the weird logic that dictates a dream's progression and that dictates whatever nonsense you are engaged in. But make no mistake: it is pretentious as all hell.
February 25, 2009,
wow..... what?
February 9, 2009
oooh ooooh, who likes surreal eye candy? i do, i do!
October 14, 2008
There is a certain studied awkwardness to the proceedings that is really engaging.
September 8, 2008
Pretentious, overrated and incomprehensible. The ultimate movie made for name-dropping art snobs.

I imagine the pitch went something like this
"So yeah, i want to make a movie about Scottish Rite Masonic initiation rites featuring the Guggenheim and Chrysler Building.

Also, I want a demolition derby and Agnostic Front in it as well"
½ August 27, 2008
It's a typical story of boy meets girl with legs made of glass. Boy, dressed as a pink highland warrior with facial mutilations falls in love with girl. Girl turns into a cheetah woman and tries to mutilate more of boy's face.

Some of the visuals are grotesquely beautiful and interesting, some are obnoxiously obtuse, and others are silly. Not all of The Order's decrees are of equal quality.