Cries and Whispers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cries and Whispers Reviews

½ December 16, 2014
Miraculous in storytelling and painful emotion. I remember seeing this film as a youngster not fully comprehending its meaning or power. Seeing it as an adult, the calibre of intensity is almost too unbearable at times. It's amazing how penetrating silence can be on the human psyche.... This Bergman film is a tough one to sit through simply because of its honest psychological brutality.... A masterpiece!
½ October 20, 2014
I'll admit, foreign films are difficult to keep my attention unless they are really really good. This movie is really good. Liv Ullman and Harriet Andersson are outstanding and the movie is one of the few foreign movies to get nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars so it is wild that these two ladies also couldn't get nominated. They were probably the best foreign performances I have even seen with Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose. Ingmar Bergman's direction, the cinematography, art direction, costumes, and writing are beautiful. It does lag at times but some of the scenes are just captivating
October 14, 2014
A great film but it leaves a bit to be desired, mainly in the sense that it retreads some of the same themes that previous Bergman films possess. The color is almost entirely Blacks, whites and of course Crimson and the use of flashbacks actually works for the most part. I think it could have delved a bit deeper into each of the 4 main women but overall we got a lot of insight with a minimum of run time. As far as Bergman goes this is one of his most accessible and downright straightforward. Wouldn't be a bad movie to start your journey into Ingmar.
½ October 7, 2014
really really good, but it's soo depressing that I'm probably never watching it again
September 2, 2014
Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers is an eternal masterpiece. With his visionary look inside this great story, Bergman bring us one more time his vision. 'Cries and Whispers' is a deep psychological drama about the life of four women facing a family conflict. Another wonderful film by the master Ingmar Bergman in one of his most deep works!
August 18, 2014
Erotic, unsettling and unforgiving, Bergmans genius shines through in this picture through the smart directing. Performances are on top and the music and color use is terrific. Family drama in its core but also a struggle with death.
August 10, 2014
Besides "Persona-1966" and "The Silence-1963", "Cries and whispers" is certainly one of the darkest films made by Ingmar Bergman, showing the tensions between the female characters and their struggles throughout the story.
July 27, 2014
UN DRAMA ENORME MUY BIEN ACTUADA
July 20, 2014
An eternal masterpiece. Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers is an intense psychological drama about the life of four women facing a family conflict. Another wonderful film by the master Ingmar Bergman in one of his most intense stories.
July 15, 2014
A very hard film to watch. Unflinching in its subject matter, makes for a very depressing experience. Again, great female performances on display (apparently a given for a Bergman film). Not one I'd want to revisit.
June 30, 2014
Well I stopped watching after a while because it was getting a little weird.
½ May 12, 2014
While I do understand how beautifully shot this film is by Ingmar Bergman I found it so sad and disturbing. Really bizarre and depressing.
May 11, 2014
Warning:
Cancer
Depression
Genital mutilation
Self-harm
Suicide
½ March 25, 2014
In this house with red walls, death becomes a feast for those whose whispers overpower the cries of the dying one.
March 23, 2014
One of Bergman's most absorbing films. It's difficult to watch sometimes, but more than worth it.
½ January 7, 2014
Beautiful as a Vermeer, stoic as a Kubrick, odd as a Lynch.
January 6, 2014
Such a quiet movie for so many powerful emotions. The 1st half is concentrated on a sister, Agnes, dying painfully from cancer. The 2nd half is full of mystery and some hair raising glimpses of the other 2 sisters' lives. There is also a servant in this huge mansion and her name is Anna. She is the only one to comfort Agnes and the only one who will truly see her through dying, death and acceptance.
November 14, 2013
Excruciating to watch, but utterly mesmerizing -- this is Bergman's strange tale of a woman dying of cancer (Harriet Andersson) in a completely red mansion in turn-of-the-20th-century Sweden. Her sisters, Karin (Ingrid Thulin, a repressed intensely negative presence) and Maria (Liv Ullmann, a fleshy indecisive and insecure presence), and her maid, Anna (Kari Sylwan, a motherly nurturing presence), are tending to her day and night. She is occasionally lucid, occasionally in severe pain, occasionally unconsciously rasping. In turn, we learn some past memories, internal anxieties, and current concerns of each of the characters who all have serious problems communicating with each other and their spouses. It's painful. However, the color palette (red and black, dominating) and the structure, full-of-close-ups and fades to red, make this unusual and experimental, and therefore exhilarating.
November 9, 2013
The colors are so saturated, its as if Bergman wanted all characters to bleed on the screen. Seldom does actors All have such a grasp on their material simultaneously. A very complex tale, so much on the social level as the psychological, the directorial choices creates, if such a thing is possible, a vast claustrophobia. it manages to actually be frightening.