Cries and Whispers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cries and Whispers Reviews

½ July 20, 2015
Só a absurda fotografia de Nykvist já carregaria o filme, mas ainda temos o elenco de alto nivel e mais uma interessante análise do sexo feminino por Ingmar Bergman.
½ June 13, 2015
Cries and Whispers is a very potent film. It is very poetic in its subtleties in plot development and characterization; Its visual language being very grim. Bergman expresses scenes without letting us know if they are dreams. The performances are in no way subtle. In fact they are very extreme but not unbelievable. There is little to no music which allows the film a certain dramatic tone to realism.
April 18, 2015
Bergman se mete en los poros, en las venas, intoxica el cuerpo con su cine, llena de preguntas más que de respuestas. Es un dios.
½ April 9, 2015
A near perfect film.
April 9, 2015
After the sickness and subsequent death of their sister, the two remaining sisters have what can only be describe as a major existential crisis. It becomes very clear early on that none of the three sisters ever made a lasting, significant bond with one another. Indeed, the strongest relationship in the entire movie is between the sickly Agnes and her quiet, put-upon caretaker, Anna. Cries & Whispers is just as much about what is said as it is about the unsaid, repressed feelings everyone in the house feels. Not until Agnes' death halfway through are true feelings expressed, though it's mainly Karin harshly admonishing her sister and proclaiming how lost and alone she feels. Maria then attempts to reconcile and befriend her sister, though it falls on deaf ears and is only an empty gesture. By films end, the sister are no closer and treat Agnes' death as an inconvenience rather than a severe loss. The most surprising and endearing character ends up being Anna, who was more a sister to Agnes in her time of need than her actual sisters. A great film about a broken family who makes no attempts to communicate or fix their brokenness.
March 5, 2015
Cries and Whispers is a unforgettable, disturbing and Beautifully filmed masterpiece by the great Ingmar Bergman with outstanding performance by all three actresses.
½ December 16, 2014
Miraculous in storytelling and painful emotion. I remember seeing this film as a youngster not fully comprehending its meaning or power. Seeing it as an adult, the calibre of intensity is almost too unbearable at times. It's amazing how penetrating silence can be on the human psyche.... This Bergman film is a tough one to sit through simply because of its honest psychological brutality.... A masterpiece!
½ October 20, 2014
I'll admit, foreign films are difficult to keep my attention unless they are really really good. This movie is really good. Liv Ullman and Harriet Andersson are outstanding and the movie is one of the few foreign movies to get nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars so it is wild that these two ladies also couldn't get nominated. They were probably the best foreign performances I have even seen with Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose. Ingmar Bergman's direction, the cinematography, art direction, costumes, and writing are beautiful. It does lag at times but some of the scenes are just captivating
October 14, 2014
A great film but it leaves a bit to be desired, mainly in the sense that it retreads some of the same themes that previous Bergman films possess. The color is almost entirely Blacks, whites and of course Crimson and the use of flashbacks actually works for the most part. I think it could have delved a bit deeper into each of the 4 main women but overall we got a lot of insight with a minimum of run time. As far as Bergman goes this is one of his most accessible and downright straightforward. Wouldn't be a bad movie to start your journey into Ingmar.
½ October 7, 2014
really really good, but it's soo depressing that I'm probably never watching it again
September 2, 2014
Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers is an eternal masterpiece. With his visionary look inside this great story, Bergman bring us one more time his vision. 'Cries and Whispers' is a deep psychological drama about the life of four women facing a family conflict. Another wonderful film by the master Ingmar Bergman in one of his most deep works!
August 18, 2014
Erotic, unsettling and unforgiving, Bergmans genius shines through in this picture through the smart directing. Performances are on top and the music and color use is terrific. Family drama in its core but also a struggle with death.
August 10, 2014
Besides "Persona-1966" and "The Silence-1963", "Cries and whispers" is certainly one of the darkest films made by Ingmar Bergman, showing the tensions between the female characters and their struggles throughout the story.
July 27, 2014
UN DRAMA ENORME MUY BIEN ACTUADA
July 20, 2014
An eternal masterpiece. Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers is an intense psychological drama about the life of four women facing a family conflict. Another wonderful film by the master Ingmar Bergman in one of his most intense stories.
July 15, 2014
A very hard film to watch. Unflinching in its subject matter, makes for a very depressing experience. Again, great female performances on display (apparently a given for a Bergman film). Not one I'd want to revisit.
June 30, 2014
Well I stopped watching after a while because it was getting a little weird.
½ May 12, 2014
While I do understand how beautifully shot this film is by Ingmar Bergman I found it so sad and disturbing. Really bizarre and depressing.
May 11, 2014