The Crime of Padre Amaro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crime of Padre Amaro Reviews

March 3, 2016
Excellent film about the hypocrisy and the corruption of organized religion that provides a harbor for the corrupt, while they throw out those who truly try to follow their morality uncompromisingly..
½ July 16, 2015
It isn't the best job of Gael García Bernal, but it's a acceptable performance. This film shows us the Catholic church's dual morality, and the thin line between good and evil. It's interesting, but I expected more controversy that an bored and overreacted melodrama. Undoubtedly, it's not as good as another mexican movies.
May 7, 2015
Provocative; delves into the double standards of the church
September 21, 2014
Una de las peliculas mas discutibles del reciente cine mexicano.A ver con reservas y sin prejuicios
½ June 13, 2014
Sluggish and unfocused.
March 10, 2014
A despeito das inúmeras alterações na história original, consegue capturar a essência da obra-prima de Eça de Queirós na medida em que denuncia as corrupções e hipocrisias existentes na Igreja Católica (e praticados, no caso, tanto pelos médios e grandes sacerdotes quanto pelos fiéis dito fervorosos). O filme, inclusive, comprova a atemporalidade do romance de Queirós, uma vez que a transposição da história de 1875 para 2002 jamais soa inverossímil ou artificial (o que não deixa de ser lastimável, claro). Entretanto, é uma pena que o longa não dê o mesmo espaço para os conflitos entre a fé celibatária e o prazer amoroso-carnal, tão duramente enfrentados pelo casal protagonista. Menção honrosa para as sensíveis performances de Gael García Bernal e de Ana Claudia Talancón.
December 29, 2013
Bernal is wonderful in this movie. The story is dark and disturbing with a very strange ending, but once you start you have to watch until the end.
½ December 22, 2013
A Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Film, plus Gael Garcia Bernal, plus anti-religious overtones? What's not to like about this movie. Well, several things. It's okay, maybe even above average, but it falls short of my standard set by some recent Oscar noms in that category.

Bernal is one of my favorite actors. He's flat in this, as is just about everything. It's clearly a story with a point, and said story takes center stage. The actors are merely there to deliver the lines. So in that regard, Talancon as Amelia shines as a complete smokeshow. She's not a real likable character (there is about one in the entire movie), but she's nice to look at.

The topic is quite controversial and, I'm guessing, is why it was nominated for an Oscar. Certainly none of the acting performances were mesmerizing. You have strife and cover up and hypocrisy within the church, all building toward a (sadly) predictable end. I had a pretty good idea of what was coming.

Definitely, there are some valid ideas to take from the film. More than the final questions posed, I like the conflict throughout the movie. Power corrupts and why should the church be any exception? Given the amount of power it has, it only follows it would be more corrupt.
October 25, 2013
Makes one consider what they believe and why. The movie kept me watching while thinking about things taught to me when growing up.
October 25, 2013
nice to look at but no substance
½ July 12, 2013
It was good, but forgettable.
April 21, 2013
Brilliant film. Challenging, well scripted and acted.
February 23, 2013
"O Crime do Padre Amaro" é inteligente ao criar um romance proibido entre um padre e uma jovem católica. Provocante, sensual e dramático, este filme mexicano consegue envolver à todos em sua estória simples, contada de maneira simples também, levando as pessoas à um desfecho surpreendente e emocionante.
January 23, 2013
Controversial, and very bold considering the situation in Mexico. Thumbs up!
The setting makes makes the story so original, although it is about common morality problem.
½ December 23, 2012
Jugada y controversial, sobre todo un elenco y actuaciones creíbles. Gael como siempre haciendo cosas geniales.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see sometime!
November 8, 2012
I'm always on the look out for interesting foreign language films--being the film buff that I am. =o) I've gone from Chinese movies to Indian to French films... and now I'm checking out Mexican flicks.

I bought a copy of "El Crimen del Padre Amaro" partly because of its lead, Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal, and partly because I was thinking that with all the hype received by "Amores Perros" and "Y Tu Mama Tambien", this might be a good one too.

I saw the movie. Nothing out of the ordinary here. It actually plays out like most of the Tagalog films I've seen--typical, predictable, lackluster. In fact, some of the Mexican telenovelas that made their way to Philippine shores had better, more engaging stories.

But that's not to say that the acting isn't good. It is. Garcia Bernal's performance was about the only thing that held my interest in the film--something the script should have mainly done. Well, you can't have everything. =o)

Plus, with the whole young-priest-meets-real-world plot having been mined so many times before, the creative forces behind "Amaro" could have at least added some peculiar plot points to, say, steer it away from its much better predecessor "The Priest" ( which starred Linus Roache).

Still, this movie helps make my collection varied and diverse. So, I can't really complain. =o)
½ July 12, 2012
Garcia Bernal makes this a notch above average.