The Crime of Padre Amaro Reviews

• Aug 13, 2020

This movie has a great story but maybe its flow could have been a little smoother. This is a Mexican adaptation of a book written by the Portuguese writter Eça de Queiroz, which tells the story of a young promising priest (Father Amaro) dealing with the reality of the "profession". He first arrives in this Mexican community to spend some time working with an older priest, a community where everyone seems to know each other and where the church plays a center role in most people's lives. He initially seems to be a pure and naive person but a transformation happens as he witnesses some wrongdoings from his colleagues, as he gets more power from the bishop of his church and as he meets and is enchanted by a young woman.
The story evolves as he gets more and more used to being envolved in these "sins", especially regarding his prohibited affair, but here I feel is the first thing that I disliked about the movie. To me he looks to be so naturally accepting all of his and others wrongdoings that there seems to be no huge conflict in his mind between the purpose of his "profession" and his true desires. In my opinion this conflict could be the most interesting aspect of the story because a part of his wrongdoings are only wrong at the eyes of the churc. It is hard to believe that a young and apparently well intentioned man who believes he has a vocation to help others would so easily jump to the other side of moral without this becoming a heavy weight (this burden seems to be in his mind at the end but only after horrible consequences occur).
The second point that made me less excited about it was that some of the scenes seemed too forced into the spectator in order to make the message clear. The first example would be one of the first scenes when the bus that is carrying the young priest gets robbed. This scene is likely one taken from the book where I believe there is a whole context behind it but here it seems to have no other point than to show Father Amaro's good heart in helping an old man in the bus. A few scenes later, the priest arrives at his new church and asks a young girl for information (that young girl). Less than a second after she answers him and he continues walking, her look towards him is so obviously saying how she is attracted to him that, in a way, it sums up a part of what will happen next (this happens frequently in movies but maybe there are smoother ways to do it).
I liked the story very much, it did work in making me want to know what will happen next after each event and it has some nice views about priests, church rules and their role in the society but my feeling in the end was that it could be a much better movie with some tweaks in the way the story was told.

• Aug 06, 2020

Not bold enough, predictable and a little too much soap opery. Longer than it should've been, movie doesn't commits to develop side stories making them feel hollow. Grey enough to create some buzz in it's release, bur not enought to stand the test of time.

• Jul 26, 2020

A harsh and bitting critique of the corruption within the Catholic Church and the hipocresy of its most corrupt members that's not without some melodrama and controversy, but it offers a well-crafted and compelling narrative, solid direction and excellent performances.

• May 05, 2018

if this is at all what life is like in mexico, the un should bomb it into the modern world. carpet bomb them, mercy for the raped and justice to rapists... fuck this snuff film and fuck the marketers that sold it as sexy. would measure should be taken to protect civilization from these monsters?

• Sep 10, 2017

Carlos Carrera otorga un crudo y socialmente crítico ensayo cinematográfico en lo que respecta a la hipocresía eclesiástica, así como el lado corrupto del mundo en el que se desenvuelve la iglesia dentro del ambiente rural, sin mencionar un sólido y controversial punto de vista romántico que funciona por la efectividad que poseen histriónicamente, tanto Gael García Bernal como Ana Claudia Talancón, en dos roles que definieron las carreras de ambos, en un filme que hasta la fecha continua dando de qué hablar.

• Feb 25, 2016

Excellent film about the hypocrisy and the corruption of organized religion that provides a harbor for the corrupt, while they throw out those who truly try to follow their morality uncompromisingly..

• Sep 16, 2015

• Jul 16, 2015

It isn't the best job of Gael García Bernal, but it's a acceptable performance. This film shows us the Catholic church's dual morality, and the thin line between good and evil. It's interesting, but I expected more controversy that an bored and overreacted melodrama. Undoubtedly, it's not as good as another mexican movies.

• May 07, 2015

Provocative; delves into the double standards of the church

Provocative; delves into the double standards of the church

• Sep 21, 2014

Una de las peliculas mas discutibles del reciente cine mexicano.A ver con reservas y sin prejuicios