Crimes of Passion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crimes of Passion Reviews

½ June 30, 2017
Ken Russell and I have an understanding at this point so I'll basically follow him anywhere. And if that means I gotta put on a crappy blonde wig and a cheap blue dress and walk down a long sleazy alleyway behind him I'll do it goddamn it- because I know there's at least an equal opportunity full frontal dude in the same outfit not far behind.

What? Uhhhh... I mean-- Crimes of Passion is just great. It's all the sleaze you want with with the blatant metaphors you need and the artistic shots - or quite literally cut aways to art- to keep you walking the tight rope of high concept. It's a movie about male and female sexual dissatisfaction that suprisingly (but not for my boo Ken Russell) walks the line of middle ground even when it's characters go to the utmost extremes. Nobody in this film is right or wrong, and it very pointently refuses to take sides - Donny is a brutish and selfish husband and lover, his wife is caught between what she wants and what's expected of her, and Joanna chooses sex work over honest emotional contact while still rolling her eyes at every client she has. Then there's the brilliant Anthony Perkins as the ever watching, ever flawed eye of God...
Great trashy movie that you can indulge in without having to take a shower afterward. Loved it.
½ March 12, 2017
A crazed satire on the American dream realised in vivid, deranged Ken Russell style, accompanied by a Rick Wakeman soundtrack. Not for everyone but a must for Russell fans
September 22, 2016
The film is confused what it wants to be, but that's just Russell's style isn't it? At times it's cheesy romance thriller fluff, but at others it's rather profound. Ken Russell isn't at his most insane here, but it definitely shines through in spots.
August 27, 2016
Some great imagery and music here and there. Not good enough in general though.
July 19, 2016
This is complete and utter dog shit. The dialogue is terrible and it is complete and utter madness from Ken Russell. In saying that, it is extremely watchable and Anthony Perkins is in fine form as Rev. Peter Shayne and manages to make Norman Bates look like an Altar Boy. Some of the scenes are off the wall with an extremely sexy Kathleen Turner penetrating a cop with a truncheon. The human penis is one of the funniest yet most cringe worthy thing I have ever seen. So seedy, sleazy and enjoyable.
½ February 5, 2016
Erotic Black Comedy? Whatever. This odd film has very subtle elements of Anthony Perkins' Norman Bates in his character here, I wonder why. Not a serious film by any means.
May 21, 2015
Overtly offensive and neon-drenched satire from Ken Russell may be accused of a number of offenses, but it is hard to imagine anyone finding it dull. Anthony Perkins camps it up and Kathleen Turner's fearless (and graphic) portrayal both manage to match pitch-perfect speed with Russell's insane movie. Be warned: Not for all tastes. In fact, there is nothing tasteful about this odd film.
½ April 13, 2015
Sex on screen has never been so boring and as for the script,what script?
January 9, 2015
Hilariously bad. Plenty of wtf moments.
August 21, 2014
Brilliant and electrifying! Kathleen Turner is a hurricane of sexuality...!!! Anthony Perkins is (a bit sadly) in his old maniacal craziness when he's on, but perfectly in-tuned with Ken Russell's wild pitch. John Laughlin is quite the looker himself.... ;)
½ July 21, 2014
Ken Russell fans will get a kick out of this, all others just keep moving. If you hate Russell, this film won't change your mind. The scenes between Kathleen Turner and Anthony Perkins are lots of fun in spite of the amazingly corny dialogue. The parallel storyline concerning John Laughlin's troubled marriage to Annie Potts suffers from the fact that their performances are SEVERELY lacking, plus the fact that Russell himself seems far less interested in their bland domestic drama than he is in the mystery behind Turner's character (as are we, the audience). This is closer in spirit to a film like Showgirls than to one of Russell's better films. At the end of the day, this is simply a camp classic with lots of staggeringly over-the-top sex scenes and some TRULY laughable dialogue. Non-fans of Russell will dock a star or two from my rating, no doubt.
June 18, 2014
As the years have gone by this has picked up a crazily devoted following. I didn't get it when I saw it in the theater 30 years ago, and I still really don't. Trust me when I say I've tried.
½ April 6, 2014
Thank God for Ken Russell.
October 28, 2013
Ken Russell madness in top form but the production is weighed down by the murky and opaque content. It doesn't really work with the bubbly delivery. An interesting 80s cult gem, nonetheless.
September 4, 2013
Tuesday, August 20, 2013

(1984) Crimes Of Passion
EROTIC DRAMA THRILLER

Made 9 months after "Angel" which the idea is similar with the female protagonists live with different lives. In the movie "Angel", it has a female teenager who's a school girl by day and prostitute by night, in the movie starring Kathleen Turner she's a devoted worker who's real name is Joanna Crane, and by night she's called China Blue who's a professional escort. As "China Blue" she has to deal with unattractive old men and some women but enjoys it since it's the only way she can escape from her consuming job since she can't seem to find gratification on any other way. For instance not one attractive co-worker is hitting on her, and I find that hard to believe. She's being pursued by a demented convert who calls himself a pastor and he's being played by Anthony Perkins as Rev. Peter Shayne even though he hangs around on strip clubs but continues to stalk China Blue. And at the same time, Bobby Grady( John Laughlin ) is being hired by a big name company which designs and makes clothes to spy on the company's best workers Joanna (Turner). And it is during this time which is when Bobby is having intimate problems with his wife Amy. There's only one funny scene throughout the film which centers on Bobby acting like how college guys act like but much of everything else in this film is full of rants and babbles viewers don't really need to listen to particularly from Perkins. And they're scenes which needed to be explained but what does anyone expect from a director as Ken Russell.

2 out of 4 stars
July 23, 2013
Up there with Showgirls. That is among the highest compliments that I can pay to a film already.
April 19, 2013
Anthony Perkins was awesome as was Kathleen Turner.
½ December 22, 2012
See this movie! RT's low rating here is based on only 9 reviews counted and should be IGNORED. This is by Ken Russell who also did Women In Love (nominated for Best Director & Best Screenplay), and it's one of his best pictures. Anthony Perkins--of Hitchcock's Psycho fame--again is brilliant in playing a lethal maniac yet it's not a rehash of young Bates; this character has quite a different persona. Kathleen Turner too is great as China Blue, possibly her most memorable role. Incidentally, as of 2012 the story's premiss has been made more plausible by the shocking revelation that upstanding former Olympic athlete Suzy Favor has been working as a high-priced call girl in Las Vegas--even though she's married with a child, & co-owner of a prospering real estate agency.
September 20, 2012
Anthony Perkins is awesome in this movie!!! I think this is one of the best Ken Russell films, 2nd only to Salome's Last Dance.
September 6, 2012
Ken Russell had finally gone to America with Altered States (1980), despite it's success, he found it hard to get another film made and after directing opera in Europe and Australia, he was offered this lurid sex thriller written by Barry Sandler (The Mirror Crack'd (1980)), it does show the direction Ken would have taken had he stayed in Hollywood, but he soon got bored with it and came home, the film has some good moments though. In Los Angeles, Joanna Crane (Kathleen Turner) is an employee for a successful fashion design company, but when it's suspected that Joanna has been selling design patterns to his competitors, electronics whiz Bobby Grady (John Laughlin) is asked to keep an eye on Joanna to see whether she's really doing it, but Joanna moonlights as prostitute China Blue, in a blonde wig with make-up and a glittery blue dress, Grady discovers Joanna's double life, but he promises to keep it secret. But, Joanna as China Blue is in trouble from the obsessive Reverend Peter Shayne (Anthony Perkins), who gives sermons in the street and watches prostitutes while doing drugs and shaming them later. It's a complex thriller with a lot of Ken's usual touches, a wedding video (where composer Rick Wakeman cameos) is a particular, peculiar highlight. It does feel a bit overlong, but Ken manages to get good performances from all concerned, if Ken had stuck with this, he might have just made it big in Hollywood.