Criminal Law - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Criminal Law Reviews

December 29, 2015
Some overacting, but an interesting moral dilemma and story is ok.
½ April 16, 2015
There is something profoundly wrong with having Oldman as the good guy but this thriller is carried by him and Bacon(almost as profound as the bad guy).
January 5, 2015
So. Many. Histrionics. Fun to see Gary Oldman as a young lad. Great cheesy 80's flick.
November 18, 2014
½ July 24, 2014
(First and only viewing - 3/22/2010)
July 21, 2014
My problem with this film wasn't the acting, but the plot. After a good start, it went downhill. Could have made the same point a lot better than it did with a better story. And in today's climate, some might have felt that the villain wasn't.
September 14, 2013
An inauspicious theatrical directorial debut from Martin Campbell, who'd go on to give us some excellent action flicks, like "Casino Royale" and the underrated "Vertical Limit." Gary Oldman plays a slick defense attorney for rich narcissist Kevin Bacon, who may be a killer. It's not all that suspenseful or even interesting. However, I'll lay the blame for on the screenplay than Campbell, who directs the film with style. The only real interest here though is seeing Oldman in a pretty early film in his career and I think the first time he'd done an American accent. That, and hearing Peter Gabirel's Rhythm of the Heat sampled in the film's score.
February 24, 2013
Good movie and worth watching for its acting.
½ November 13, 2012
Probably not the best film, but I used to love watching this 80's thriller every so often.
October 27, 2012
Gary oldman and Kevin bacon together again, great acting, movie isn't great but isn't bad either
½ March 23, 2012
Interesting to see a young Gary Oldman having just saw him in Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy.
March 5, 2012
I saw about half this movie late early in A.M.,(3-5 -12). Good study of a disturbed mind.
August 28, 2010
I remember seeing this in the early 90's on cable and really liking it. Unfortunately, it did not age well and my deep affection for Gary Oldman has waned in later years. His pompadour in this film really angered me.
August 7, 2010
Two great actors in their young years that show that they have got great talent for the years to come.
Overall the movie is okish and seen it all b4.
May 27, 2010
A Martin Campbell film......From the Director of Goldeneye, Casino Royale and The Mask of Zorro....Early days for Campbell in 89. Bacon's and Oldman's performances were fine, but it is just the extreme slow pacing of the story and boring elements in the film.
½ February 2, 2010
Turned it off part way into it because it was too slow and boring.
November 4, 2009
Both Kevin Bacon and Gary Oldman are true masters in this one. The movie is like a symbolic piece of art made from elements of action, suspense, and psychothriller. And to finish it off, there is a very thoughtful metaphor used in the final scenes that leaves you staring at the credits thinking 'Wow..'. AWESOME.
½ June 13, 2009
SPOILERS AHEAD!!
A solid star and a half is my rating, and considering I give no inches if they don't deserve it. The direction by Campbell who would subsequently direct two James Bond movies is very good, but not spectacular. Bacon is okay, I've seen my share of serial killers in cinema, and have read about real serial killers too, and his characterization did not impress me, although he was good enough for the part. The real star here is Gary Oldman, who has a depth, and plays a young lawyer with authenticity, energy, and originality. Basically my whole rating goes to him mostly. The screenplay is pretty good, and it keeps you guessing about what's next.

The negative points which hinders this film in getting more praise from me are ; grainy photography, lack of realism in Bacon's character, and no brutal killing scene is ever showed, we only see the dead bodies. Not enough tension in the courtroom, the sex scenes are hot, but we don't get to see enough skin, the tunel under the ground linking the park to the closet, is very far-fetched to say the least. Towards the end I just wanted it to end, so this is not good, means it drags.

Overall this sexy thriller is fun, but one viewing for me will be sufficient. The strong point which makes this film entertaining, even if it drags at times, is Gary Oldman's portrayal of the young smart hot shot defense lawyer, and from experience because I have been represented by a defense lawyer myself, his characterization is top-notch, too bad Kevin Bacon was chosen as the antagonist, I would have casted a bolder more authentic creep, not this preppy face taunting Bacon. Kevin Bacon is not a bad actor, but here he does not complement Gary Oldman to enhance Oldman, but distracts more, than reinforcing the story.

The story is original, but there are some plot-holes, why does he wait so long to kill his mother ? And why isn't it explored in the story that he would have had a psychiatric history ? The victims are women who had abortions, or who practiced abortions, we are thus a little desensitized about them, I was, and the killer is more taunting and ridiculously cliched in some ways, his actions make sense from his disturbed childhood, but did I believe it while I was watching this movie ? No I did not believe him (his character).

If you like in movies to see stuff on ; serial killers, the law, the justice system, and a damn good young lawyer with balls. Then this film will enchant you, otherwise you might as well just pass.
June 9, 2009
It had me for about the first 20 minutes, then it completely lost me, never to get me back.