Crimson Tide - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crimson Tide Reviews

½ March 3, 2014
I've never met a submarine movie that I didn't like!
February 24, 2014
Washington and Hackman both give commanding performances (pun intended), as well as co stars aboard. Tense sequences and witty dialogue - which Quentin Tarantino lent an uncredited hand to - is what drives this semi-war movie about two commanders aboard a submarine ship who collide with one another when orders are given to launch those nukes against Russia through EAM, but when all com systems crash while receiving a second EAM, the two commanders clash and go head-to-head trying to prove whether to launch those missiles or not.

I personally believe this is quite possibly Simpson's and Bruckheimer's most intriguing and intense movie that all movie lovers should enjoy.
February 23, 2014
AWESOME! True it's a guy film, but being a female I can and have watched this film over and over and over again since it came our in 1995. It's as if you are there in the submarine with them.
½ February 22, 2014
Caught this on TV today and I must say it was hard to stop watching. Gene Hackman plays such a great arrogant jerk and Denzel the perfect by the book officer. This had a lot of good actors which I enjoyed seeing in their younger days ;) Very Well done depiction of a submarine flick. They are ordered to fire a nuclear attack when another transmission tries to come in but the radios go down and they don't get the complete message. The wrestling begins between Hackman and Washington with those who support each side behind them...very riveting and a great movie.
½ February 16, 2014
One of the best from director Tony Scott. Hans Zimmer's stylish soundtrack pushes this movie to a higher level.
February 9, 2014
Two giants, one film and a solid structure all the way through with tension and twists. The look, the sound and the acting carry this better than expected film, these days its hard to make a seriously bad submarine film
½ January 21, 2014
Another great Tony Scott film. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman are explosive in their performances.
½ January 21, 2014
January 10, 2014
"Crimson Tide" is an above average submarine film, which is no doubt due to the skills of director Tony Scott and uncredited screenwriter Quentin Tarantino, who's influence is seen throughout this film.

Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington both embody their characters extremely well - Washington as an analytical academic officer, and Hackman as an old-school shoot-first officer, both working to avert nuclear war between Russia and the United States of America.

The film is also helped along by some snappy action sequences, some suspenseful confrontations among the crew, and supporting roles from the likes of Viggo Mortensen and James Gandolfini.

A good film.
½ January 6, 2014
The ending is very weak......but the rest of the film is a tension filled motion picture featuring fantastic performances, especially from Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington.
January 3, 2014
I will never forget this movie (and I need to post about this) because it's the one that made me swear off watching movie trailers. The movie trailer revealed every plot development point that nothing surprised me in this film. Need to rewatch. Hunt for Red October is my gold standard for this category. yes I know..I know..I need to watch Das Boot. It's on my queue
½ December 28, 2013
Superb film. Even though the ending was fairly predictable, it was nonetheless a gripping and interesting film throughout.
December 15, 2013
Solid, but didn't really have me "on the edge of my seat" considering it's obvious how it's going to end the whole way through.
½ November 26, 2013
A fantastic clash of the titans film staring Gene Hackman & Denzel Washington. Although it's a little exaggerated it's a tense fast paced submarine drama.

Surrounded by a fantastic supporting cast the 2 leads light up the screen with their mounting tension.

Filled with many feelings & reservations about a nuclear response to Russia which in reality was still rather fresh this films travels fast & is a good film I quite enjoyed it.
½ November 21, 2013
little better than I expected action thriller great story. definitely one of my favorite denzel movies
November 11, 2013
Gene Hackman is very military and follows orders at any cost. Denzel Washington is more analytical and thinks about things before he acts. They are in a mission in Russia when they get orders to launch a nuclear strike. However, they get attacked and are receiving a second message which gets cut off. They argue on what the message could be. Denzel thinks it is a retraction, Hackman thinks it is a false message. Denzel does everything to try and stop the attack and Hackman does what he can to make sure it goes through.

A decent submarine movie, but I prefer U-571 to this. This one had great actors, but it is a little too simple in terms of story to really be great. Still a good movie though.
November 6, 2013
Brilliant direction by Tony Scott, a fantastic re-written screenplay by an uncredited Quentin Tarantino and outstanding performances by the entire cast especially Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman who give one of the best performances of their careers. Crimson Tide has an incredible amount of suspense that will have you on the edge of your seat for all 111 minutes. And is easily one of the best war films I've ever seen.
September 25, 2013
Dark confined spaces, shouting men, angry men, guns and nuclear missiles, all adding up to a thrilling, head to head. Nibbles: Apple Turkey Stir-Fry.
September 13, 2013
It's a riot inside a submarine. It's about avoiding a possible nuclear war in midst of tensions between US and USSR. Which caused a feud between the captain and Lt. Commander to make the right call. Decent action thriller.
August 6, 2013
Directed by Tony Scott and produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer, who had had previous success a few years earlier with Days of Thunder (1990), they looked for something else to work on together, scripts came and went with Michael Schiffer's original screenplay about political turmoil and insubordination. It's a very suspenseful film, and very taut considering it's claustrophobic setting, but it makes for good entertainment. There is political turmoil in the Russian Federation, post-Soviet militants, loyal to ultranationalist Vladimir Radchenko (Daniel von Bargen) have taken control of a nuclear facility, and threaten nuclear war against Russia and America. On the USS Alabama, which is carrying nuclear missiles, Lieutenant Commander Ron Hunter (Denzel Washington) has just joined the crew, serving as second in command under Captain Frank Ramsey (Gene Hackman). After only a few days at sea, tensions grow between Hunter and Ramsey, and when Russian submarines, commandeered Radchenko comes into their vicinity, the trigger happy Ramsey wants to attack, but Hunter stages a mutiny to prevent a potential war. It's a very tense film, but it has some good performances, and a good supporting cast including James Gandolfini, Steve Zahn and Viggo Mortensen. This is a great example of how good Scott was at creating tense thrillers.