Crimson Tide - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crimson Tide Reviews

September 25, 2016
Exceptional acting talent on display as these two wilful natural leads come to loggerheads. Gripping drama.
½ September 12, 2016
Fantastic actioner. It's quite impressive how intense a movie about a group of guys arguing in one location can be. This comes straight from the school of 12 Angry Men. Great performances, great dialog. Man, I miss Tony Scott...
August 28, 2016
Denzel, Viggo, & Gene Hackman - are you kidding me? Of course this is an AWESOME movie!
July 9, 2016
Director, Tony Scott, has reached the depth of his action-thriller abilities here (pun intended). Solid acting, lightning dialogue (Tarantino?), and stylishly, yet moody cinematography to keep the suspense in a confined space. There are so many familiar faces and future rising stars in this film- it's a bit crazy. Rating: 8.25 / 10
½ June 19, 2016
Greatly enjoyable with superb performances. Crimson Tide is a very entertaining action thriller.
½ May 17, 2016
Outstanding! loved it
½ May 13, 2016
Probably my favourite Tony Scott film, amidst stiff competition. The acting of both Hackman and Washington, plus the fine supporting cast, is top-drawer, and Scott keeps the suspense up, the film's as tight as a drum. It's rumoured that there were plenty of script doctors, including Quentin Tarantino, but that's no crime--especially when it works. One of my favourite submarine films--it's up there in my books with 'Destination Tokyo' (I haven't seen my DVD of 'Das Boot' yet). It's a great shame that Scott decided to take his life a few years back. He was a much better director than I used to give him credit for. I guess it's true that we don't realize just how good people are until they're gone. This film's essential for war film enthusiasts or those who enjoy suspense films or thrillers: It wouldn't be out of place in the oeuvres of, say, Sir Alfred Hitchcock or David Fincher, and would make a great double-bill with 'Lifeboat' or 'They Were Expendable'.
½ April 6, 2016
With Tony Scott's flare for A-game action thrillers, Crimson Tide delivers a highly energetic narrative and is anchored by terrifically executed performances from Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman.
January 31, 2016
I watched The Hunt for Red October a few weeks ago and I was a little underwhelmed. Crimson Tide, however did more to hit the mark. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman are in top form as they split a naval crew and create mutiny whilst on a mission to stop Russian rebels. The tension is brilliant and really keeps you on edge. The chemistry between Hackman and Washington is top notch and it's clear to see their difference of opinions.
December 25, 2015
Good Nuclear war military drama.
½ December 15, 2015
A modern version of The Caine Mutiny.
½ December 14, 2015
For 1996, this was a sick AF drama/thriller.
November 18, 2015
One of the best war movies to watch
November 12, 2015
That horse stuff is so Tarantino.
November 6, 2015
Scott / Bruckheimer / Washington trio de choc dans un superbe film de guerre psychologique. J'adore ! A voir et a revoir.
October 3, 2015
El genero de submarinos y esta pelicula en particular es una de mis debilidades, con lo que no puedo decir nada malo de la mejor obra de Tony Scott salvo que verla en español es una ofensa criminal irreparable... con esta peli fue cuando aprendi que, como dijo Renoir, el doblaje es una ultranza.

En mi última revisión, 5 ESTRELLAS, ya que cumple todos mis más altos standards de exigencia cinematográfica, esto es, una jodida obra maestra.
September 27, 2015
I was surprised by the fact that I liked this as the description made me sure I would not. It is a good thriller. I can't say I loved it, but it kept me interested.
½ August 8, 2015
"Crimson Tide" has its suspense rise until it has its most intensity at the climax to attract intrigue from the audience while showcasing remarkably convincing performances from Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman.
July 26, 2015
Tony Scott's well-crafted, pulse-pounding, thought-provoking post-Cold War thriller, concerning the American nuclear ballistic submarine USS Alabama which has received orders to launch its nuclear missiles, as a Russian civil war gets worse, and some of their rebels take over an ICBM missile complex, which could start World War III and a nuclear holocaust. The USS Alabama's Captain Ramsey, played by Gene Hackman in a brilliant performance, and his executive officer, Lt Commander Hunter, played flawlessly by a superb Denzel Washington, clash over the validity of their orders which will lead to a mutiny and epic struggle for control of the sub. The interplay between Hackman and Washington is magnificent, and they keep the tension at a very high peak with their sensational performances. The late great Tony Scott's skillful, superlative direction will have you on the edge of your seat. Solid supporting performances by George Dzundza, Viggo Mortensen, the late James Gandofini, Matt Craven, Danny Nucci, Steve Zahn, Lilio Brancato, Ricky Schroder, the late Jason Robards, and Ryan Phillippe. A rousing score by Hans Zimmer, with impressive cinematography by Dariusz Wolsky, and the visual effects by Hoyt Yeatman are awesome, as are the incredible sub sets by Michael White. An intelligent, thrilling film that is one of the best submarines motion pictures ever made. Highly Recommended.
½ June 16, 2015
had a whole seat but only used the edge.