Crimson Tide - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crimson Tide Reviews

October 3, 2015
El genero de submarinos y esta pelicula en particular es una de mis debilidades, con lo que no puedo decir nada malo de la mejor obra de Tony Scott salvo que verla en español es una ofensa criminal irreparable... con esta peli fue cuando aprendi que, como dijo Renoir, el doblaje es una ultranza.

En mi última revisión, 5 ESTRELLAS, ya que cumple todos mis más altos standards de exigencia cinematográfica, esto es, una jodida obra maestra.
September 27, 2015
I was surprised by the fact that I liked this as the description made me sure I would not. It is a good thriller. I can't say I loved it, but it kept me interested.
½ August 8, 2015
"Crimson Tide" has its suspense rise until it has its most intensity at the climax to attract intrigue from the audience while showcasing remarkably convincing performances from Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman.
July 26, 2015
Tony Scott's well-crafted, pulse-pounding, thought-provoking post-Cold War thriller, concerning the American nuclear ballistic submarine USS Alabama which has received orders to launch its nuclear missiles, as a Russian civil war gets worse, and some of their rebels take over an ICBM missile complex, which could start World War III and a nuclear holocaust. The USS Alabama's Captain Ramsey, played by Gene Hackman in a brilliant performance, and his executive officer, Lt Commander Hunter, played flawlessly by a superb Denzel Washington, clash over the validity of their orders which will lead to a mutiny and epic struggle for control of the sub. The interplay between Hackman and Washington is magnificent, and they keep the tension at a very high peak with their sensational performances. The late great Tony Scott's skillful, superlative direction will have you on the edge of your seat. Solid supporting performances by George Dzundza, Viggo Mortensen, the late James Gandofini, Matt Craven, Danny Nucci, Steve Zahn, Lilio Brancato, Ricky Schroder, the late Jason Robards, and Ryan Phillippe. A rousing score by Hans Zimmer, with impressive cinematography by Dariusz Wolsky, and the visual effects by Hoyt Yeatman are awesome, as are the incredible sub sets by Michael White. An intelligent, thrilling film that is one of the best submarines motion pictures ever made. Highly Recommended.
½ June 16, 2015
had a whole seat but only used the edge.
April 25, 2015
It's crazy that a genre that sounds as boring as submarine war movie are some of the best war movies out there. Crimson Tide has a lot of dramatic action but not much physical. Lots of running around and screaming at each other. The strength of the film comes from the power struggle and all the well-timed tough decisions people have to make. I didn't care about the plot or what decision people made, it was more the passion of the moment and the suspense that made the action compelling. The exchanging of power gets a little redundant but not tiresome. They bring the fighting to an end before it reaches overkill.

My only problem is with some of the acting. I see this a lot in modern day war movies. When men team up and they say things and look at each other in a way to show respect and that they'll be loyal, it sometimes comes off as too forced and unnatural. I've never been in a situation where I had to team up with someone and I got all emotional and noble in a self-contained way; maybe showing that much affection is realistic. I don't know. I do like it in black & white movies because it's hard to appreciate black & white movies if you don't like dramatic sentimentality. All the actors were good, though. And it was interesting to know Tony Soprano worked on a submarine before joining the mob.
½ April 23, 2015
Hackman versus Washington for the whole shabang.....sign me up again.
½ April 10, 2015
Deep under the Mediterranean a battle of wills takes place in a United States submarine. With the order to fire nukes on Russia a further message is cut short, with the two commanding officers disagreeing as to the next course of action. Tense adrenaline packed well acted by fine actors movie that has you gripped all the way.
March 11, 2015
A nailbitingly tense submarine drama, with excellent performances by all present. It was a little strange to see a young Viggo Mortensen playing a clean cut military cog however.
½ February 23, 2015
The joy of this movie is every scene of these two with crackling dialog (written by Quentin Tarantino no less!) as they engage in beefs over chain of command, and philosophical debates about nuclear weapons. The actors have a ball as they go toe-to-toe with their egos overriding the good of a nation. Surrounded by a great supporting cast Viggo Mortensen, James Gandolfini and a cameo from Jason Robards, the film moves at a thrilling pace and is a tense watch. It's directed by Tony Scott, produced by the Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer duo, and so naturally it's filled with intensely colorful lighting, overbearing music and melodramatic shots of a group of workers pausing to look up in a moment of doom. There aren't any circular helicopter shots or an excess of explosions, so it's a subdued outing for these filmmakers.
The movie is enjoyable, but somewhat forgettable. The performances are highlight, and the nuclear discussions are interesting to listen to. Something never stated, but quietly hinted at, is the racial tension of having an black man in charge of their ship. This issue would have been pointed out in any movie made today, because Obama.
If I were to squeeze a message out of Crimson Tide, it would be about the changing of the guard in the American father figures. While we were once raised by gruff, no-nonsense dads, we've since transitioned into calm, attentive fathers who take feelings into consideration. The question becomes what's the better decision: a pat on the back or a swift kick in the ass?
February 5, 2015
Excellent film, great from start to end.
November 29, 2014
86%
Saw this on 29/11/14
Crimson Tide is the most visually beautiful Tony Scott movie with minimal shakes, an outstanding direction and cinematography combined top notch performances from Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman. The story is one of relevance and it makes one think of the follies that can come during war. Although it's ending could have been a bit more better than what it has now.
October 4, 2014
Yeah it's another 90's action movie, but it's got humor, great dialogue, good energy, a suprisingly good story and some great performances. It's not a masterpiece, but as an action film it's up there with the best.
September 29, 2014
An intense ride with great performances from Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington
September 26, 2014
Excellent movie! A definite watch if you haven't seen it. Scary how two different scenarios with each of their own opinions could have had a impacting outcome.
September 20, 2014
When I was watching the beginning of Crimson Tide, I didn't understand why people liked it. It was dull and uninteresting besides the great acting. The effects outside the submarine are great, just not interesting. But when it gets to the middle with all heck breaks loose, it was very interesting to see where it's going. It also made me wonder how it's going to end even though history for it gives you the answer. It was very thought provoking and I really don't know who to side for as they give valid points. I thought there was going to be lots of action consider that it's directed by Tony Scott, but there are some action, and it is great to watch. Even stuff inside the submarine with the war between Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman is really interesting. Despite the flaws, Crimson Tide is a great submarine movie.
September 10, 2014
A tense, thrilling submarine war film with a nice tone to it, like "The Hunt for Red October." (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
½ September 3, 2014
Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington bring 'Crimson Tide' home as one of the best submarine movies of all-time. Clearly more intelligent, thrilling, and well-acted than its famous counterpart 'The Hunt for Red October,' 'Crimson Tide' is one that viewers will always want to come back to.
August 24, 2014
Excellent movie with 2 excellent actors. The typical Tony Scott suspense is majorly at play throughout the movie. The dialogue is phenomenal here. There are back and forths here at play between Denzel and Gene. It's truly acting at it's very best. With tensions high between Russia and America, and Nuclear tensions high, the 2 men aboard the nuclear submarine go head to head when the main submarine radio goes out before the main orders or whether to launch nukes at Russia. What happens next is a ship divided and extremely tense moments aboard the ship. Should they launch or should they? It's fun to watch what happens and the acting along with it's phenomenal dialogue is what makes this an exceptional film and an immediate recommendation.
August 21, 2014
Solid submarine thriller. Right up there with Hunt for Red October, and Das Boot.