Crimson Tide - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crimson Tide Reviews

½ July 27, 2014
All that happened in Crimson Tide from the inside and outside of the submarine are real depicted in a scary and realistic way including a brilliant performances from Washington and Hackman. Do you remember The Hunt for Red October, brilliant film too.
½ July 25, 2014
The scenario that puts the plot in motion and the plot itself might be a little too ridiculous but I can't argue with how well tension is mined from the ever changing mutinies, counter mutinies, and counter-counter mutinies. One of Tony Scott's more effective efforts.
½ July 11, 2014
Entertaining and thrilling as hell. However, I don't understand how one of these guys basically gets off with no major punishment, despite doing some pretty criminal things.
June 25, 2014
Can't find anything bad to say about that movie.
April 12, 2014
Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington, great teaming
April 7, 2014
Denzel and Hackman disagree with each other, but you should agree that this is a good movie.
March 7, 2014
Top 5 of all time. Absolutely outstounding movie.
½ March 3, 2014
I've never met a submarine movie that I didn't like!
February 24, 2014
Washington and Hackman both give commanding performances (pun intended), as well as co stars aboard. Tense sequences and witty dialogue - which Quentin Tarantino lent an uncredited hand to - is what drives this semi-war movie about two commanders aboard a submarine ship who collide with one another when orders are given to launch those nukes against Russia through EAM, but when all com systems crash while receiving a second EAM, the two commanders clash and go head-to-head trying to prove whether to launch those missiles or not.

I personally believe this is quite possibly Simpson's and Bruckheimer's most intriguing and intense movie that all movie lovers should enjoy.
February 23, 2014
AWESOME! True it's a guy film, but being a female I can and have watched this film over and over and over again since it came our in 1995. It's as if you are there in the submarine with them.
½ February 22, 2014
Caught this on TV today and I must say it was hard to stop watching. Gene Hackman plays such a great arrogant jerk and Denzel the perfect by the book officer. This had a lot of good actors which I enjoyed seeing in their younger days ;) Very Well done depiction of a submarine flick. They are ordered to fire a nuclear attack when another transmission tries to come in but the radios go down and they don't get the complete message. The wrestling begins between Hackman and Washington with those who support each side behind them...very riveting and a great movie.
½ February 16, 2014
One of the best from director Tony Scott. Hans Zimmer's stylish soundtrack pushes this movie to a higher level.
February 9, 2014
Two giants, one film and a solid structure all the way through with tension and twists. The look, the sound and the acting carry this better than expected film, these days its hard to make a seriously bad submarine film
½ January 21, 2014
Another great Tony Scott film. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman are explosive in their performances.
½ January 21, 2014
January 10, 2014
"Crimson Tide" is an above average submarine film, which is no doubt due to the skills of director Tony Scott and uncredited screenwriter Quentin Tarantino, who's influence is seen throughout this film.

Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington both embody their characters extremely well - Washington as an analytical academic officer, and Hackman as an old-school shoot-first officer, both working to avert nuclear war between Russia and the United States of America.

The film is also helped along by some snappy action sequences, some suspenseful confrontations among the crew, and supporting roles from the likes of Viggo Mortensen and James Gandolfini.

A good film.
½ January 6, 2014
The ending is very weak......but the rest of the film is a tension filled motion picture featuring fantastic performances, especially from Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington.
January 3, 2014
I will never forget this movie (and I need to post about this) because it's the one that made me swear off watching movie trailers. The movie trailer revealed every plot development point that nothing surprised me in this film. Need to rewatch. Hunt for Red October is my gold standard for this category. yes I know..I know..I need to watch Das Boot. It's on my queue
½ December 28, 2013
Superb film. Even though the ending was fairly predictable, it was nonetheless a gripping and interesting film throughout.